Did you mean: 

New Immigrant in USA/Capitalone

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Immigrant in USA/Capitalone

Good Afternoon Everyone,

First post here ever.... 

I have 0 credit never applied for a credit card in my life nor have any loans and or anything like that till this morning.....

Applied for a capitalone to start to build credit of some sort and they denied me Smiley Sad 

I literally saw this forum by searching on google how to build credit, and im hoping to get some sorta guidance if possible on how to build credit responsibly.

My English is terrible please forgive me if it is hard to understand as English is not my native language

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Immigrant in USA/Capitalone

Get a secured credit card that does not require a credit check.    There's an annual fee of $39 put on your first credit statement, and a minumum of $200 security deposit.  But you should be accepted.  

I've had these three before and had no complaints.  First Progress you could get through easily to talk to someone, if need be.  Green Dot is hard to find a live person to talk to if there's a question.  But all online setups to pay your bills are fairly easy.  

First Progress mastercard

Open Sky

Green Dot Mastercard 

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jannelo wrote:

Get a secured credit card that does not require a credit check.    There's an annual fee of $39 put on your first credit statement, and a minumum of $200 security deposit.  But you should be accepted.  

I've had these three before and had no complaints.  First Progress you could get through easily to talk to someone, if need be.  Green Dot is hard to find a live person to talk to if there's a question.  But all online setups to pay your bills are fairly easy.  

First Progress mastercard

Open Sky

Green Dot Mastercard 

Thank you very much,

I will give it a try 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

If talking in person is preferable for you, one of the reps in a Bank of America location should be able to guide you regarding a secured credit card.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in your position 2 years ago. What I did:

1. Secured credit card with Bank of America

2. Capital one was approved after 4 months

3. After 6 months I was approved for Discover it

now I have 12 cards including tier 3 cards and can be approved for almost any of the card I want with credit scores 760-770

the only regret I have is that I have not opened any chase cards before I was below 5/24

Give it some time

Message 5 of 10
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Hi and Welcome to the myFICO community and the country!

Here’s how to build your credit :

1.0  Secured (Collateralized) Credit Card

A.  Bank of America

(preferably apply in person). Go to the nearest branch and bring your Social Security Card and an ID card such as Drivers License. Preferably, bring your Immigration and/or Naturalization Card (Green Card). BoA loves “relationships” so best to open a Checking and/or Savings account as well together with your Secured Credit Card.

2.0  Use your card wisely and accordingly. Make payments on time and DO NOT apply or do anything with credit in the next 7-8 months. Wait after about 7 months after your receive your 1st BoA Statement then go to Discover Score card website (Free Experian Score) and make sure you have already a Score generated. 

https://www.discover.com/free-credit-score/

3.0  After ensuring that you already have a Credit Score and 6 reported payments by BoA, apply for an American Express Credit card that will fit and benefit your needs. You should have an approval provided you have not missed or been late at least 30 days on any of your BoA payments.

4.0 Again, DO NOT apply for any credit in the following 7 months from opening of your Amex Card. 

5.0  On your BoA 13 month anniversary or Amex 6 reported payments to the Credit Bureau, Apply for a Discover Card. That should be an approval as well (Maintaining Perfect payment history).

6.0 Again, DO NOT do anything with credit for the next 6 months. 

7.0  All those 3 Cards (BoA, Amex & Disco) have SP CLI policies so your goal from the 13 month of BoA onwards on a 3-month interval or increments is to Request for a Credit Limit Increase (CLI) on each card growing them all!

8.0  25 months from BoA opening should open your doors to a whole lot of credit possibilities! 

Use Credit wisely and responsibly!

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Afternoon Everyone,

First post here ever.... 

I have 0 credit never applied for a credit card in my life nor have any loans and or anything like that till this morning.....

Applied for a capitalone to start to build credit of some sort and they denied me Smiley Sad 

I literally saw this forum by searching on google how to build credit, and im hoping to get some sorta guidance if possible on how to build credit responsibly.

My English is terrible please forgive me if it is hard to understand as English is not my native language

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

I was also in the same situation as you. I applied for a Discover it cash back credit card online and got instantly approved for it with a completely empty credit report. You could attempt to get that if you have a somewhat reasonable income, at least in my experience. It's a really solid card as well - the bonuses end up being 2%/10% in the first year.

If you're here as a student and/or have a somewhat low income, a secured or student card might be your only options as recommended by others.

Good luck with starting your credit journey, and let us know if you have any other questions! 😊

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome, Newimmi1020!!! Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
kudosalert
Frequent Contributor

Yup that's similar to my situation. Got a BOA secured at 1k. Held for 9 months. Applied for BOA Travel Rewards (no AF, no FX). have not applied to Discover or Amex because I havent found a card with no AF and no FX (i still travel quite a bit for work). 

maybe i'll just bite the bullet and get a card with AF but no FX Smiley Happy

In my wallet:

In my desk:
Message 9 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi there and welcome to MyFICO

You have come to the right place for tons of valuable information. Stay and start reading--you'll enjoy the posts. Here is a link to commonly used abbreviations.
https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/m-p/88458#M23

You probably already have this but I wanted to check to make sure that you have either a SSN or an ITIN.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.