Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New app and cancel or HP CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New app and cancel or HP CLI?

Hey all,
I have a $500 Best Buy Visa coming up on two years with a $500 limit and a $59 fee due next statement.

When I got the card scores were in the 500’s and scores in my signature are current.

My question is:

Should I close the Best Buy card and app for a new Amex for a SUB Before the holidays (likely is it’s a SP), or take a HP to increase the Best Buy card.

Of note, I just passed 2/90 with Amex yesterday. Hilton surpass (8/26/2019) and Hilton Business (10/6/2019). Have no pre-approvals but recently had a fraud alert removed which I’m pretty sure opted me out automatically. Opted back in a few days ago with no change in pre-approvals.

Advice is appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: New app and cancel or HP CLI?

Do you use the BB card? If not, I definitely wouldn't hang onto it. Especially considering that AF. An Amex would be a much better all-around card, and the increases are SP! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Those are my thoughts as well. I use it occasionally, but lately just to keep it open essentially. Actually wanted to use it for a gift for the 18 month financing offer but definitely not a high enough limit.

I have literally never closed a card before.

Any danger with 3 amex's in a little over 3 months?

Message 3 of 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Closing a card is quite cathartic lol  Give it a try! 

As for three in three for Amex, I'm not sure. There are plenty of threads around here talking about app rules though. Check prequals?

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol I might just do that. I know that there is the 2 cards in 90 day rule so I am currently eligible. But no prequals as of maybe 3 weeks ago. Pretty sure it is a result of a fraud alert opting me out tho as I was previously pre-approved for all cobranded cards. 

More concerned about them thinking I am churning or something. I hit two SUBs in that time frame; both with Hilton cards. I would probably go for the aspire or marriot bonvoy brilliant as I am traveling alot in the coming months. 

There is also quite the disparity between my past two approvals with them $1k -> $12k. 

Message 5 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey all,
I have a $500 Best Buy Visa coming up on two years with a $500 limit and a $59 fee due next statement.

When I got the card scores were in the 500’s and scores in my signature are current.

My question is:

Should I close the Best Buy card and app for a new Amex for a SUB Before the holidays (likely is it’s a SP), or take a HP to increase the Best Buy card.

Of note, I just passed 2/90 with Amex yesterday. Hilton surpass (8/26/2019) and Hilton Business (10/6/2019). Have no pre-approvals but recently had a fraud alert removed which I’m pretty sure opted me out automatically. Opted back in a few days ago with no change in pre-approvals.

Advice is appreciated.

Honestly, based on the advise that was already shared on your 2 prior combined threads, it's likely the HP is not going to meet your Best Buy Visa CL expectations given that it has the AF as well.  It is most likely that particular card is bucketed.  Your decision on how you want to proceed of course.  Personally, I would look for something that would have better flexibility at this stage of your credit journey.  

Since you opted back in a few days ago, not much will change for a bit.  You can either wait to see whether any pre-approved offers eventually generate at some point or give it whirl without them.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Buy-Visa-Citi-retail-Will-it-ever-grow/m-p/5817466

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FinStar 

Yes, I feel my discontent with my best buy card is very evident at this point lol. Thank you for the advice.

Message 7 of 16
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

I don't see why you need to cancel the BB card. Does it affect your AAOA? Based on your scores and current AMEX status, I don't see why you wouldn't apply for the AMEX. Have you checked your prequal offers from within AMEX and outside your login?

Message 8 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@randomguy1 wrote:

I don't see why you need to cancel the BB card. Does it affect your AAOA? Based on your scores and current AMEX status, I don't see why you wouldn't apply for the AMEX. Have you checked your prequal offers from within AMEX and outside your login?

I believe the OP mentioned it has an AF (which is coming due) and the $500 CL is not as flexible based on their spending patterns with BB.   Even if he closes the card, it would still be factored into the AAoA for up to 10 years.  So, no major loss IMO.

Message 9 of 16
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Switch! Check out Amex. With the ability to SP a 3x CLI after 60 days, it show grow faster, and with more reliability than the BB card.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.