cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Credit! AA Platinum Select Approval Odds?

tag
Matthew1551
Established Member

New to Credit! AA Platinum Select Approval Odds?

Cross-posted from a Reddit post to r/CreditCards. 

• Current cards:

• Discover It, $1000 limit, March 2019

• Deserve Edu, $300 limit, May 2019

• Apple Card, $1000 limit, August 2019

• FICO Score: 707 (TU via CK: 697) **Apple Card has not reported to credit bureaus yet**

• Oldest account age: 6 months

• Chase 5/24 status: 3/24

• Income: $15,000 (student)

• What's the purpose of your next card? Looking to travel and take advantage of a SuB to go free. American Airlines is the only carrier in my small city. I have other travel expenses and a laptop that would sustain the necessary spending to hit the SuB.

My question is: What are my approval odds of getting the Platinum Select card if I applied after my one year of credit history comes next march. I have 0% utilization (I pay off before statements post) and will be gardening until I can get this next card.

Thanks!

Current Wallet:

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: New to Credit! AA Platinum Select Approval Odds?

If this is a Citibank card, i would think a good chance if you have 1 year history. Having some ccs before hand like your Discover is a positive in my mind. Key is low hp count within last 6 months before applying anything Citi.
Message 2 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

Have you checked the Citi Pre qual site for offers?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heck, in a year anything can happen! However, I believe you'll have best luck if your score is at least 725 at the time of the app.

So just maintain your current practice of responsible usage. I would also try utilizing AZEO 3-6 months before the app to maximize scoring.

I would also try to coax some CLI's from Dsicover in the meantime. You could likely request around 4 between now and then, unless you prefer AJC's method of every night after 6Smiley TongueM.

Message 4 of 6
Matthew1551
Established Member

I wasn't exactly sure how often to request CLIs from Discover. I tried one probably a month back and got declined, but shortly after I got an automatic increase, which was nice and unexpected. I plan on trying one when my statement cuts later this month (which will be "6 months" after opening the card, and 6 months of credit history as well)

I'm not sure I know what you're saying when you mention "AZEO".

Current Wallet:

Message 5 of 6
addicted_to_credit
Established Contributor

All zero except one - all balances zeroed out except on one card and keep it under 10% preferably under 8.9% as I understand it.

undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedMy ImageMy ImageMy ImageMy Image
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.