cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newb with 2 cards, good pmt history, want CLI- what new card?

tag
lowspender
Contributor

Re: Newb with 2 cards, good pmt history, want CLI- what new card?

@Anonymous wrote:

It might be prudent to notify the relative with the DD214 and ask them to send you a copy along with the SSN

Regarding CapOne, in your shoes I'd probably skip them altogether. The triple HP for a card with a usually-subpar CL and meager rewards that are beaten by many other cards who only do one (or possibly two) pulls, and who grow much better, means that you'll likely be served better by any of a number of other banks. 

Disco - the only caveat to their increases is that at some point during Covid, they issued a statement that CLIs would not be given until new accounts are a year old. 

Amex - where I live, a small city in upstate NY, there is one diner and one veterinary office I've found where I can't use my Amex cards. No one else has an issue with them.

Read and ask questions whenever you want. People here are always willing to jump in and answer. Again, welcome to MyFICO Smiley Happy

Thanks for the welcome! Tons to learn here definitely, thorn crushing each response doesn't hurt either Smiley Happy Going through the service member's records, if that doesn't turn things up, will make an official gov request.

Thanks for the heads up on Capital One! Didn't know about their subpar limits and terrible cli's- maybe the rest of that money is going into Mr. Jackson's account Smiley Happy
Disco can check income all they want, making EF the broker there is not appealing to me though, agree with Thorn. Then again, if they're making me wait a year, that's new and definitely not worth the wait imo.
If Visa is charging more, I wonder if they could become the old Amex when no one's looking.. Smiley Happy good to know, some locations and Amex may not work. The issue is relying entirely on one card. Lots to learn and read here, thanks!

Message 31 of 33
lowspender
Contributor

Wow, what a convo to observe, gained some perspectives.. (Steve and Jamaica, I'll add to what you mention tmw, thanks)

@thornback wrote:

I took a credit break for a few months -- let all my balances report - completely ignoring util and subsequent score fluctuations (experienced some big drops and I it didin't phase me),  and really only checked my reports to make sure things were as they should be.  Unfortunately, the only way for me to truly & successfully do that is to kinda avoid this place..

@Anonymous wrote:

I've gotten away from sweating how many zero balances I report as it's finally dawned on me that I don't have to optimize everything all the time. far less than many people and is hardly huge usage. Availing myself of the float is smart at times.. Credit has become less of a chore since I started acting a little more like a rational, normal consumer.

@thornback wrote:

Feels good but we're still not even close to normal or rational though - I hope you realize that - we are far too credit aware to be normal and rational.

@thornback wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Credit-aware is excellent. Credit-obsessed isn't.

^^Absolutely agree.   

Wow.. I've gotten a similar insight from being here in such a short time. From complete naivete or really just active distancing from credit usage, to my card in the last few months that became a totally irrational obsession. Hyper vigilance, constant monitoring, that escalated immediately from infancy. Now I've found myfico. However, the day I got the card in the mail, went through hundreds of anecdotes on credit on different sites/forums etc. People's history, payments, credit lines, cli's they shared etc. Largely misinformation or insufficient data points. That was after about 20 articles on the topic. I was concerned about everything in 3 directions and upside down.

The obsession, to me, was that for my full use of my recent card (until now) I actively, feverishly ensured 0% utilization & carried no balance. Always. Before getting to the checkout or purchasing any item, I figure out its total cost with tax, and transferred the money to Chase before ringing the item up. Waited for the email confirmation before getting in line or completing a purchase. A few times I'd never been so unhappy to find that there was an unlisted/special discount on something and I didn't have an perfectly settled account.. lol

Now I recognized that obsession that developed from ignorance and have been trying to curtail it with informed processes and steps to follow, which are on here. I think without that awareness, a credit or lifestyle management forum in particular can become a very financially healthy echo chamber that nearly drowns out practical financial decisions, to wring out every last point from one's score, limits, cli's etc. At least, that's what the access to many unfiltered opinions did to me, before I found them more structured on here.

Message 32 of 33
lowspender
Contributor

@FalconSteve wrote:

I found that BB&T give high limits (and if you use the prequalify, they usually only do a soft pull). The travel card has an annual fee, but the other two aren't bad cards.

AmEx gave me my highest limits and best CLIs. I got a AmEx cash magnet (1.5% cashback, no annual fee, $200 sign up bonus w/$1000 spend in the first 90 days- if you use someone's referal link, they can get $100 too). They also have a pre-qual link, but are a hard pull.

Hadn't heard of BB&T, thanks for the heads up! I'll add em to the list. What starting (or mature) account limits have you gotten with them?

Amex has definitely worked itself to the top of the list, being CLI friendly and good starting limits. Hope that link from a member's post earlier wasn't a ho. Said on their page it wouldn't harm your score, took that to be sp. Hasn't shown up on my report yet if not.
For some reason, thought the prequal would tell the limit you'd get in advance of applying- that would be great! Always more to learn.. Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.