cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie working on both personal and business credit score increase.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Newbie working on both personal and business credit score increase.

Hi, I am currently working on getting my personal and business credit scores up. I have two store cards with a combined limit of $1200. I worked over the years to stabilize my credit reports. My scores are now as follows: EQ:689, TR:671, EX:686.

I have student loans and a mortgage...that's really it on my credit reports. I had two blemishes, but one is getting taken off, so that should help with the increase on TR and EQ. The other is an old account from capital one(the journey cc) that went into litigation two years ago but is not affecting my score, which recently went up 38 points.

I was advised to get a personal credit card with a minimum of $3000, then after a year, try for the business credit. I was also advised to look into cards with miles reward, since I travel a lot for pleasure and business, both in and outside the U.S.

I don't want to mess up my score by applying at the wrong time, or the wrong card(with a potential for denial).  I leave the country again in the Spring next year, for work. Any advice? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Newbie working on both personal and business credit score increase.

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, I am currently working on getting my personal and business credit scores up. I have two store cards with a combined limit of $1200. I worked over the years to stabilize my credit reports. My scores are now as follows: EQ:689, TR:671, EX:686.

I have student loans and a mortgage...that's really it on my credit reports. I had two blemishes, but one is getting taken off, so that should help with the increase on TR and EQ. The other is an old account from capital one(the journey cc) that went into litigation two years ago but is not affecting my score, which recently went up 38 points.

I was advised to get a personal credit card with a minimum of $3000, then after a year, try for the business credit. I was also advised to look into cards with miles reward, since I travel a lot for pleasure and business, both in and outside the U.S.

I don't want to mess up my score by applying at the wrong time, or the wrong card(with a potential for denial).  I leave the country again in the Spring next year, for work. Any advice? 

If you want a card with miles it is probably best to get the card that is the primary airline for your home airport.  No sense to get a Citi American Airlines card if you home Airport is a Delta hub.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok. my home hub is Phoenix, so i'll check that out. I am traveling throughout Asia, however, so my home hub will be Seoul also.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: So I decided to go for the Citi AA credit card.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.