Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nfcu decision makes no sense

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nfcu decision makes no sense

So my wife and I decided to sign up for nfcu today after reading all the positive reviews. She has a TU credit score of 540 and mine is 693. She applied and got approved for the Go Rewards unsecured card so I figured I should have no problem getting one too so I applied. I was declined. No review message, just declined. I called and got no reason as to why. I'm confused. Any ideas on this? I double checked and all info was entered correctly
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nfcu decision makes no sense

@Anonymous wrote:
So my wife and I decided to sign up for nfcu today after reading all the positive reviews. She has a TU credit score of 540 and mine is 693. She applied and got approved for the Go Rewards unsecured card so I figured I should have no problem getting one too so I applied. I was declined. No review message, just declined. I called and got no reason as to why. I'm confused. Any ideas on this? I double checked and all info was entered correctly

What is the source of your credit scores?  Or asked another way, where did you get the scores from?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of our scores come from Myfico
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

So they are genuine FICO 8 scores.  Well, that's a head scratcher...

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU uses FICO 9 for credit decisions, I believe.

What’s your TU FICO9?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its 654, but that's still considerably higher than hers.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s hard to say. More than score goes into the decision. Recent derogatories, DTI, Credit history, etc.

NFCU certainly marches to the beat of their own drummer, but something caught their attention in your file and they didn’t like it I guess.

Sorry.
Message 7 of 11
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

We need more info to provides ideas because everyones profile is a YMMV. So this what we need:

3 FICO scores
Any baddies
Income
AAOA
AoYA
How many CCs? Lender vs store
Aggregate UT and individual card UT

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Scores are only one component of of personal credit profile and only one criteria a lender uses or doesn't use.  They look what is within the whole credit profile and run through their algorithm.  Trying to compare two profiles is near impossible as you would have to compare how many tradelines you each have, aaoa, derogs, dti, etc, etc, etc..No two profiles are identical

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The credit score is just a number. The higher the number, in theory the better chance of success.

However, the components that make up your score is what holds more weight and every lender has a different algorithm.

Expecting an outcome based on your Fico score is just setting yourself to be let down. This just happened to my wife with Navy because of my approval she assumed an automatic win. In reality a thinner file with recent late payments yielded a smaller limit.

Sorry you got declined! Navy can drop some monster SLs around and sometimes it's easy to assume the win when there might be some more work to do.

Wait for the letter and reference the reasons. Fix. And reapply a few months from now and things will work out.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.