Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Amex Offers - Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Amex Offers - Advice?

I've had my Amex ED since September 2019 to now and was rejected twice for a credit limit increase. I suspect that it's due to my credit age in general being under one year. On Jan 2020 I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday and was denied. Tried again in April for the Delta Skymiles card and was denied. I haven't bothered since. I earned my sign up bonus, spent nearly $15k on the card and nada. So now I don't even use it except for purchases I don't trust any other card for. I can apply for my next CLI on 07/28/2020, so we'll see how that goes. 

What am I doing wrong? I would really like to get either the upgrade to the EDP or a new card, the Amex Gold. 

07_13_20_01_12.png

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Amex Offers - Advice?

Very high score for under 1 yr

They do send a letter for CLI denials, reasons listed on it

You can also view denied application details online, with reasons listed as well

If I had to guess, probably loan info (or lack of) and/or revolver utilization, DTI, balance trends

Maybe you carried a little bit on a 0% offer

It is generally said to be easier to get a charge card than a revolver from Amex, so if the Gold is what you want... Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had my Amex ED since September 2019 to now and was rejected twice for a credit limit increase. I suspect that it's due to my credit age in general being under one year. On Jan 2020 I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday and was denied. Tried again in April for the Delta Skymiles card and was denied. I haven't bothered since. I earned my sign up bonus, spent nearly $15k on the card and nada. So now I don't even use it except for purchases I don't trust any other card for. I can apply for my next CLI on 07/28/2020, so we'll see how that goes. 

I suspect you're right.  

The only thing you're doing "wrong" is a bit of impatience.  Give it some time, apply again.  As @Anonymous  said, Amex *might* give you a charge card before they give you a revolver...  My first card with them was a revolver, but after they'd approved me for a business charge, so 🤷‍♂️

What does the rest of your profile look like?  Installments? number of cards? 

(edited to tag the right person)

Message 3 of 21
ccquest
Established Contributor

The other thing I've seen posted a few times is that if you're logged on, click apply on the card you want you want. If it says "expanding your membership is easy" that's the denial language so you can tell without going through the whole process.
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Expanding your membership is easy" is not quite denial language, but just means you are not preapproved and more likely to be denied. For example, after logging into my Amex account I get the "Your name here, you are pre-approved" when I hit apply on any card. You may log into your account and check to see if you have that language when you click "apply now" on a Gold card if you're interested. If so, you have a very good chance of approval.

As a side note, I like my Everyday and Gold combo. While there are better earning options, it keeps things simple and keeps the annual fee low.

Message 5 of 21
MudkipsRKooL
Regular Contributor

You're not telling us how many cards you have before Amex? How you get a score so high before the Amex ED? Being AU or you have other cards? What's SL and your income? Maybe they feel they already given you plenty of SL like 50% of your income.

Current score: 778ex | 774tu | 777eq
INQ status: 1/24, 1/12

Currrent Cards:

Future:
Message 6 of 21
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What am I doing wrong? I would really like to get either the upgrade to the EDP or a new card, the Amex Gold. 

07_13_20_01_12.png

As @MudkipsRKooL suggests, we really have no information about your profile, so we can't even begin to seriously answer your question.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 21
Rogue46
Established Contributor

I get the same thing zero preapprovals, The weird thing is they list 17 cards for me but the gold card is absent ?  Any one else have that?

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I suspect you're right.  

The only thing you're doing "wrong" is a bit of impatience.  Give it some time, apply again.  As @Anonymous  said, Amex *might* give you a charge card before they give you a revolver...  My first card with them was a revolver, but after they'd approved me for a business charge, so 🤷‍♂️

What does the rest of your profile look like?  Installments? number of cards? 

(edited to tag the right person)

Amex ED Sep 23, 2019 SL: $2k - CCL: $2k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

Macy’s Store Card Dec 24, 2019 SL: $500 - CCL: $8k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

NFCU cashRewards Dec 15, 2019 SL: $200 - CCL: $5k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

NFCU More Rewards Sep 13, 2019 SL: $1k - CCL: $7k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

Synchrony Amazon Store Card Dec 24, 2019 SL: $150 - CCL: $500 (Pay in full, never carry balance)

Synchrony CareCredit (AU) Feb 03, 2020 SL: $10k - CCL: $10k (Utlz: 0% - Sock Drawer)

Synchrony Lowes (AU) Nov 20, 2019 SL: $10k - CCL: $10k (Utlz: 0% - Sock Drawer)

Synchrony PayPal Mastercard Jul 11, 2019 SL: $2k - CCL: $7k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

Synchrony Rakuten Visa Jan 15, 2020 SL: $2k - CCL: $2k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

Synchrony Sam’s Club Mastercard Sep 15, 2019 SL: $1.5k - CCL: $2.3k (Pay in full, never carry balance)

TD Bank Target RedCard (AU) Nov 26, 2019 SL: $300 - CCL: $800 (Paid in full monthly)

Income: $126k, no mortgage, no car loan, 5 year shared secured loan with NFCU paid down to 96%. Current DTI is 1%. 

EX: 781 F8 - 3 inquiries 

EQ: 772 F8 - 2 inquiries

TU: 773 F8 - 7 inquiries

Message 9 of 21
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Garden... You don't seem to have a lot of HPs but they aren't very old... 

Scores are good.. 

Patience esp in the current economic climate....

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.