Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No CLI offers on Discover, Capital One, and Amex EveryDay cards

tag
firehawk73
Valued Member

No CLI offers on Discover, Capital One, and Amex EveryDay cards

When i started rebuilding my credit several years ago, these were the first cards i was able to get with my scores. I assume i was in the high 500's/low 600's. All the cards still have their SL and i have never gotten a CLI either automatically or by request. Since then, i've gotten several cards with SL over 10k and worked up several others through CLI over 10k. My current scores are mid to high 700's. 

Any ideas as to why these specific cards refuse to CLI? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: No CLI offers on Discover, Capital One, and Amex EveryDay cards

Discover does what Discover does. In other words, no one knows.

Capital One starter cards typically do not grow. 

Amex, because you "got in" with a dirty file, they may not feel comfortable extending you additional credit. If your file has been clean for a while, they might be concerned about utilization on other cards and other items on your CR.

Amex tends to be quite honest when it comes to putting reasons for denial. Whatever is on your AA letter is most likely the real reason why they won't extend additional credit 

Message 2 of 7
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

@firehawk73 wrote:

When i started rebuilding my credit several years ago, these were the first cards i was able to get with my scores. I assume i was in the high 500's/low 600's. All the cards still have their SL and i have never gotten a CLI either automatically or by request. Since then, i've gotten several cards with SL over 10k and worked up several others through CLI over 10k. My current scores are mid to high 700's. 

Any ideas as to why these specific cards refuse to CLI? 

What do the denial letters say would be a better indicator, but regardless I would agree most starter cards usually stay where they are regardless of where you are in the present day. Some might want big utilization to justify the CLI I am sure Capital One usually does and considering you have other cards I assume you are not heavily utilizing the cards anymore. 

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 3 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Me either. Lots of factors contribute, income, spend, score, economy, Pandemic, max availabilty,  or just the lender itself. 

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like they were all of the starter variety and thus may not grow. 

Message 5 of 7
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I have a 15+ year old "rebuilder" card from Cap1 ( now a Savor card ) Never a missed payment. Never any problems.  My current CL is  $3k.  So right now Cap1 and I have an arrangement.  I promise to hardly ever use their card and they promise to always deny my CLI requests.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like a good arrangement Smiley Wink

Did that rebuilder card start at $3k, or did it grow to $3k and stop there?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.