Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Love from Discover this Time ; (

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No Love from Discover this Time ; (

This goes to show an 800+ score doesn't always translate to automatically being approved for everything. Last August, Discover bumped me up over $30k with a healthy $6500 CLI. I posted about it here.

I thought I'd try my luck again since over 6 months had past. However this time I was auto-denied on the site, no reason given at the time other than a letter explaining the denial reason was in the mail Smiley Mad

The denial letter arrived: 

INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT DISCOVER CARD CREDIT LIMIT

I'm not sure if they're saying I haven't had this $30k+ limit long enough, or that I haven't demonstrated I need such a large CL? Discover is my daily driver.  But I only charge about $2-3k a month on it, always PIF often before the statement even cuts. I don't know if it's worth calling for a recon, has anyone experienced something similar to this? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No Love from Discover this Time ; (

Typically it means you haven’t been at that limit long enough. But if you’re only using 7-10% of it and don’t carry any balance, why bother looking for a higher limit than 30 grand?
Message 2 of 10
CivalV
Established Contributor

For me I believe my card is bucketed considering it started as a secured card. It unsecured at the 7 statement from $300CL to now $200CL my 11th statement cut on the 7th of this month and I was also denied a CLI. I mean in 1-2 more months I can start checking for my second Discover.

Now the problem with my prequals on Discover is months ago it stated I had a card recently open so I didnt qualify for another offer. Now it states “Collection” which I do have a collection on Experian that is about 5 years old. I am hoping they are just using that as a BS excuse but I might pay the collection off anyway since its $400 lol
Message 3 of 10
CivalV
Established Contributor

Also I make large payments because its my daily driver but I always let the card report $200-300.
Message 4 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have found a longer period between cli on Discover as it ages and limit increases.

I got $2k cli yesterday after months of denials assuming I was not getting anymore.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

That letter means nothing, just their way of saying no at this time. With a 30k limit the chance you will get more is still reasonably high but in time. The difference between you and other is is you are part of the group who get huge cli, ie 6.5k, while others have to carry on with $200-$500 ones. Discover will never let us in on their secret, though its fun to trySmiley Wink
Message 6 of 10
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

That’s Discover’s go-to reason ATM. They probably just don’t think you need more right now. Eventually they’ll give it to you. Maybe put a huge purchase on it and pay it off. Either way, congrats on 30k. Dang that’s a nice limit!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Typically it means you haven’t been at that limit long enough. But if you’re only using 7-10% of it and don’t carry any balance, why bother looking for a higher limit than 30 grand?

No particular reason....probably the same reasoning many folks here ask for CLI's even though they'll seldom if ever use it?  In my case, it feels like a cool accomplishment, nothing more. Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pinkandgrey wrote:

That’s Discover’s go-to reason ATM. They probably just don’t think you need more right now. Eventually they’ll give it to you. Maybe put a huge purchase on it and pay it off. Either way, congrats on 30k. Dang that’s a nice limit!

Thanks pinkandgrey! Discover's my highest CL @ $32.4k, with Amex Blue right behind @ $30k even. I have one other card in the low $20k's (BoFA), all my other cards are in the $3-12k range. 

I might charge a chunk of my next car on it if the dealer allows. On my last car, they let me put the down payment of $10k on it which I PIF'd right away. 

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
That letter means nothing, just their way of saying no at this time. With a 30k limit the chance you will get more is still reasonably high but in time. The difference between you and other is is you are part of the group who get huge cli, ie 6.5k, while others have to carry on with $200-$500 ones. Discover will never let us in on their secret, though its fun to trySmiley Wink

Appreciate the insight, AJC and everyone else who chimed in. Discover was extremely generous when they approved me 10 years ago with a $14.5k CL, despite having subprime credit. My score was in the 680 range with 75% overall utilization. Thankfully, the card also came with a 12mo/0% BT offer which I took full advantage of at the time. Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.