Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No credit history-- denied CHASE freedom :(

tag
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: No credit history-- denied CHASE freedom :(

@ddemari wrote:

op if you are not in the position to take on payments or debt you cant afford right now, then its best to go for a capitalone platinum or quicksilver1 mastercard, as they approve people with scores in the 500's. it will be a low limit depending on your score, but this way you cant get into much trouble and will be setting the foundation for better cards down the road. 

OP doesn't have a score.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, my advice would be to try the Capital One Journey right now if you don't have the money to deposit on a secured card.

Not having scores is gonna make it tough and your limited income even tougher. Do your parents have a card that has been opened a long time that they can add you on. Something with perfect payment history and low utilization? That would help generate scores.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are there joint accounts I can open with someone? My boyfriend has a good credit score. What are some good joint accounts I can open to get a credit history going? 

Also, in the case of a joint account, would his score affect mine? 

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover issues joint accounts and so do some CU's. I would NOT recommend this at all. Ant there is still the issue that you don't have a score, on a joint application they look at BOTH individuals credit.

Can your boyfriend add you to one of his cards as an AU?
Message 14 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
OP, my advice would be to try the Capital One Journey right now if you don't have the money to deposit on a secured card.

Not having scores is gonna make it tough and your limited income even tougher. Do your parents have a card that has been opened a long time that they can add you on. Something with perfect payment history and low utilization? That would help generate scores.

I don't get it. The deposit is only $49. If op does not have that then forget a credit card all together. This will just ruin your credit for future uses.

Message 15 of 23
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Chase is a tricky one especially at this stage in your credit history. I would agree with ddemari that Capital One would be your best friend. Try their platinum or QS1, capital one secured was my first card! Nice to know its building you history.
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't get it. The deposit is only $49. If op does not have that then forget a credit card all together. This will just ruin your credit for future uses.

I don't disagree with you at all taxi, I was trying to point her in a direction since she seems intent on getting that first card and doesn't want to go the secured route. 

Honestly, based on what she has posted, my advice is that she doesn't need a phone that costs almost as much as she makes in a month and she definitely doesn't need to be charging it.  The money that she saves on not buying the phone would be perfect for a secured card deposit and building her own history that she controls and getting used to dealing with a credit card.  Even better, I would suggest a secured loan with Allian - that way she is building history and building her credit score without the temptation to use any credit cards.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't disagree with you at all taxi, I was trying to point her in a direction since she seems intent on getting that first card and doesn't want to go the secured route. 

Honestly, based on what she has posted, my advice is that she doesn't need a phone that costs almost as much as she makes in a month and she definitely doesn't need to be charging it.  The money that she saves on not buying the phone would be perfect for a secured card deposit and building her own history that she controls and getting used to dealing with a credit card.  Even better, I would suggest a secured loan with Allian - that way she is building history and building her credit score without the temptation to use any credit cards.

+1 - hooray for personal responsibility.

Message 18 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Discover might be OP's possible saving grace as discover loves thin to no profiles..  Granted his/her salary might be to low?  Or obviously can do a secured CC for 6 months as well or something along those lines, but might be able to skip that

Message 19 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Discover might be OP's possible saving grace as discover loves thin to no profiles..  Granted his/her salary might be to low?  Or obviously can do a secured CC for 6 months as well or something along those lines, but might be able to skip that

Cc. Dd you just get that bofa? 

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.