cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No new accounts in 6 years. 800's scores. What to apply for?

tag
startover909
Valued Member

No new accounts in 6 years. 800's scores. What to apply for?

Currently, I have just 2 personal cards open, plus 2 AU cards. So 4 open TLs reporting, average limit about $15000. Credit age 17 years, average account age 12 years. FICO scores are in the low 800's. I also have a couple of business cards that don't report to my credit reports.

I did a brief research and it seems there have been some really good times in the past few years when it comes to credit cards and rewards/bonsues, and I apparently missed them (some complicated stuff happening in life and credit card games were just never really on my priority list).

So right now, I guess I have pretty good credit and should have no problem getting approved for new cards. I do not want to have a bunch of cards to manage, and would want to keep my total number of personal cards to no more than 5 or 6.

Now I'd like to accquire a few cards that represent the best deals out there for sign-on bonuses. Ongoing wise I'm not a big spender so the reward programs etc are not too important, just something decent will do. 

Chase has been the only bank I dealt with in a long time and is my favorite bank.

Any recommendations/suggestiosn on the "must have" cards for me to get in this scenario, and any special notes that I should be aware of given my credit profile and goal?

6 REPLIES 6
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

Re: No new accounts in 6 years. 800's scores. What to apply for?

@startover909 wrote:

Currently, I have just 2 personal cards open, plus 2 AU cards. So 4 open TLs reporting, average limit about $15000. Credit age 17 years, average account age 12 years. FICO scores are in the low 800's. I also have a couple of business cards that don't report to my credit reports.

I did a brief research and it seems there have been some really good times in the past few years when it comes to credit cards and rewards/bonsues, and I apparently missed them (some complicated stuff happening in life and credit card games were just never really on my priority list).

So right now, I guess I have pretty good credit and should have no problem getting approved for new cards. I do not want to have a bunch of cards to manage, and would want to keep my total number of personal cards to no more than 5 or 6.

Now I'd like to accquire a few cards that represent the best deals out there for sign-on bonuses. Ongoing wise I'm not a big spender so the reward programs etc are not too important, just something decent will do. 

Chase has been the only bank I dealt with in a long time and is my favorite bank.

Any recommendations/suggestiosn on the "must have" cards for me to get in this scenario, and any special notes that I should be aware of given my credit profile and goal?

It All depends on what is Motivating you to takE on new tradelines. For instance, are you eXpectinG to Only appLy for cash back creDit cards? If So, then you MaY not be getting the best Return on your spEnding as rewards Cards mOst often provide better value. Choose cards that will Maximize your everyday spend. SoMe cards (which I won't name directly) give you points for grocEery and diNing that you can convert to statement creDits, gift cArds or Transfer to travel partners, so you have complete flexIbility. Others caN chime in with their thoughts.

Message 2 of 7
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

@RicHowe wrote:

@startover909 wrote:

It All depends on what is Motivating you to takE on new tradelines. For instance, are you eXpectinG to Only appLy for cash back creDit cards? If So, then you MaY not be getting the best Return on your spEnding as rewards Cards mOst often provide better value. Choose cards that will Maximize your everyday spend. SoMe cards (which I won't name directly) give you points for grocEery and diNing that you can convert to statement creDits, gift cArds or Transfer to travel partners, so you have complete flexIbility. Others caN chime in with their thoughts.

Amex Gold Card just popped into my head for some reason.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RicHowe wrote:

@startover909 wrote:

Clever....me likey

Message 4 of 7
arkane
Established Contributor

@mikesonthemend wrote:

@RicHowe wrote:

@startover909 wrote:

Amex Gold Card just popped into my head for some reason.

Must be that shiny gold spade in his signature

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go Fish!  https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/best-credit-card-sign-up-offers/

See if you can hook a couple of them in the mouth for a good bonus.

Message 6 of 7
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

It depends on a few things. Since you should qualify for most (if not all) cards, we need to narrow down the field. What cards do you currently have? You mentioned Chase, so are you looking to add a new Chase card? What does the majority of your spend look like? Travel? Groceries? Eating out? Gas? Do you prefer cash back, a rewards system, or a little of both? Are you ok keeping track of rotating categories?

If you’re not a heavy spender, but invest in a rewards system, just pick one so that your points can accumulate. Otherwise, it probably makes sense to stick to cash back (it adds up quickly). I personally am not a heavy spender, so I have stuck with cash back and I am rewarded for all of my purchases in one way or another. To minimize the cards you have, you can find an all-in-one card that covers a number of different spend categories. For example the Uber Visa is good for this. Citi Costco is also similar (covers 4% gas, 3% travel & restaurants, 2% Costco). Discover is great for rotating categories and it’s 10% back for your first year.

If you fill in the blanks, we can get more specific.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.