Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to get AMEX cc after having an unpaid balance 10+ years ago

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not able to get AMEX cc after having an unpaid balance 10+ years ago

I am brand new to myFICO, please let me know if this should be posted somewhere else :-)

Here’s my story:
Around 15 years ago, I left the country due to a work offer in Asia, my ex-boyfriend was using my information to apply with various credit cards with unpaid balance without me knowing it. And because I don’t need to run my credit while oversea, I didn’t know my credit dropped from 800 range to 500 range with 70k debt until maybe 8 years ago. My friend suggested me to see a credit lawyer and he helped me to on legal matters without needing to file bankruptcy or pay the debt that was not caused by me.

Recently, I applied for the AMEX platinum card and was rejected. The rep told me that because I have a balance with AMEX, I told the rep what happened and I was then transferred to a manager from another dept. A week later, I got a mail from AMEX stayed that my balance is now cleared. SOOO.... I reapplied and rejected once again.

Does anyone have experience like mine? Or does it mean I can never apply for an AMEX card?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not able to get AMEX cc after having an unpaid balance 10+ years ago

AMEX has a long memory...

However this sounds like fraud. Was a police report ever filed on the boyfriend?

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, there’s a police report and was faxed to AMEX, I assumed that’s why AMEX removed the balance.
Message 3 of 8
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Welcome to My Fico..000welcome17.gif

Perhaps it just needs a little time to update in the system.. 

You can also use some of the backdoor numbers, in the thread, at the top this page.

Maybe you'll get more definitive answers/results from one of them.

Good Luck! 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, there’s a police report and was faxed to AMEX, I assumed that’s why AMEX removed the balance.

That’s good to know.

It could be something clerical as what Pikaboo (whom i keep wanting to call Pikachu) said. Or maybe your credit score and/or history simply don’t warrant an approval. Hard to say without much background. Was there a reason giving for the second denial?

Message 5 of 8
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That’s good to know.

It could be something clerical as what Pikaboo (whom i keep wanting to call Pikachu) said. Or maybe your credit score and/or history simply don’t warrant an approval. Hard to say without much background. Was there a reason giving for the second denial?

LOL

That works..

pikachu.gif

Message 6 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

OP, as mentioned upthread by @Pikaboo-icu, if the information you provided to AmEx regarding the police report or fraud affidavit was fairly recent, then let the dust settle for a bit before you reapply.

Have you received any confirmation in writing from AmEx that this issue has been resolved? This way you have a record that should not impact future applications.
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I received a letter, letter body as follow:

“Thank you for bringing the fraudulent use of your identity to our attention. We have taken the necessary steps to close this account and remove any derogatory information regarding to this account from your credit report. No further action on your part is required.”

When I called in last, the rep pretty much said I have a bad record with them, something along those line. I explained I received a letter, but he wasn’t able to help. I gave up at that point. I don’t know if it worth trying again, as it’s a HP to my vulnerable credit (715/690/691), trying to get to 700s for all 3 scored 🥺
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.