cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of Amex approval

macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Odds of Amex approval

So, as of right now, I have (EX) 5/6 & 19/12 Inq's, 2/6 & 2/12 new accounts, and 36K in credit card debt, plus 17K in student loans. I just checked the AMEX pre-qual page today and see I finally pre-qual for the Delta Skymiles cards. That's a first in a while.

 

Do my odds look grim on getting approved? They always pull EX for me.




Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200


Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
pizzadude
Moderator

Re: Odds of Amex approval

When did you most recently apply with AMEX and what denial reasons did they come back with?

 

What does your overall revolving utilization look like, and is your EX score in the ballpark of what's in your signature ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 25
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Re: Odds of Amex approval


@pizzadude wrote:

When did you most recently apply with AMEX and what denial reasons did they come back with?

 

What does your overall revolving utilization look like, and is your EX score in the ballpark of what's in your signature ?


@pizzadude


EX is actually 686. I need to update that on my signature. Last time I was rejected by AMEX was 5/30/21. Reason was probably too many Inquiries at the time, but I can't access it online for some reason.




Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200


Message 3 of 25
pizzadude
Moderator

Re: Odds of Amex approval

It's hard to know if you have better odds now without knowing the reasons why you were previously declined.

 

What has changed on your credit reports since then, i.e have derogatory accounts / negatives dropped, is your revolving utilization higher / lower, how many inquiries, etc.. ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 25
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Re: Odds of Amex approval


@pizzadude wrote:

It's hard to know if you have better odds now without knowing the reasons why you were previously declined.

 

What has changed on your credit reports since then, i.e have derogatory accounts / negatives dropped, is your revolving utilization higher / lower, how many inquiries, etc.. ?


Overall utilization is about 16% right now. A little higher than before. But I also have a lot more available credit than before. I haven't had any derogs on my files in 3 1/2 years. I'm not sure how many inquiries I had at the time. Been too long.

 

I should probably err on the side of caution and not app, but a chance at an Amex would be wonderful.




Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200


Message 5 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Odds of Amex approval


@macinjosh wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

It's hard to know if you have better odds now without knowing the reasons why you were previously declined.

 

What has changed on your credit reports since then, i.e have derogatory accounts / negatives dropped, is your revolving utilization higher / lower, how many inquiries, etc.. ?


Overall utilization is about 16% right now. A little higher than before. But I also have a lot more available credit than before. I haven't had any derogs on my files in 3 1/2 years. I'm not sure how many inquiries I had at the time. Been too long.

 

I should probably err on the side of caution and not app, but a chance at an Amex would be wonderful.


You know me, i wouldnt let 1 hp stop me from trying. In your case 1 hp will not destroy your profile. Apply and see where you stand if not approved you still have another year of improvementSmiley Wink

Message 6 of 25
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Re: Odds of Amex approval


@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@macinjosh wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

It's hard to know if you have better odds now without knowing the reasons why you were previously declined.

 

What has changed on your credit reports since then, i.e have derogatory accounts / negatives dropped, is your revolving utilization higher / lower, how many inquiries, etc.. ?


Overall utilization is about 16% right now. A little higher than before. But I also have a lot more available credit than before. I haven't had any derogs on my files in 3 1/2 years. I'm not sure how many inquiries I had at the time. Been too long.

 

I should probably err on the side of caution and not app, but a chance at an Amex would be wonderful.


You know me, i wouldnt let 1 hp stop me from trying. In your case 1 hp will not destroy your profile. Apply and see where you stand if not approved you still have another year of improvementSmiley Wink


@AverageJoesCredit  I really want to, but what am I going to do with 80,000 airline miles? I haven't flown on a plane since 2005. I guess I can try for another card in the lineup. Heck, I'd take a Cash Magnet. The only 3 cards I pre-Qualify for are the SkyMiles Gold, SkyMiles Platinum, and the SkyMiles Reserve. 🤣




Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200


Message 7 of 25
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Re: Odds of Amex approval

I'm so dumb. I should know better with American Express. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

 

Whoa Nelly! They pulled TU this time! What a wild change for them! 🤦🏻‍♂️

 

Edit: They double pulled both EX & TU!




Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200


Message 8 of 25
macinjosh
Senior Contributor

Re: Odds of Amex approval

@pizzadude, I now have an updated list of rejections. Same thing as before. They will continue to hold my student loans, overall number of inquiries, and existing balances against me. Stinking Amex.

 

I really think it's the student loan balances, which since the last time I apped, was $17,000 higher.




Samsung Financing TD Bank $3,200


Message 9 of 25
pizzadude
Moderator

Re: Odds of Amex approval

Sorry that you were denied again --probably best to wait until you've reduced balances and have fewer inquiries.

 

Also as you found out, AMEX will occasionally do a double pull on EX and TU

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.