Best Buy is not that easy to get approved for.  IMHO

Great suggestions upthreadSmiley Happy

Message 11 of 20
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Odds of Best Buy card

@Anonymous wrote:

740 fico. 1500 a month income. 

Try the pre-qualification at Home Depot. I was told by Best Buy employee (not retail clerk, home office analyst) Citi is a little more lax on UW standards for Best Buy than the HD card.

If pre-approved at Home Depot, my guess is you have good odds with Best Buy. Don't pull the trigger on HD (obviously) if you want the BB card.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 12 of 20
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

😐

I read the other post and now this one and I'm dying 😆

Message 13 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@RSX wrote:

How many new accounts under 1 year?

how many Inq in the last year?

what is your current CC Utilization ?

with $18k/yr income, your chances will be lower and your opening CL will be low, if approved.  

Not really. Many of us LIErs have done quite well with Citi. Many approvals for this card start around 2k, even people with high income,  from what ive witnessed these past 4 years, ymmv of course.

Message 14 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@AllZero wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

@AllZero wrote:
Insufficient data provided. I will take a guess at 50/50?

The coin could land on its edge

There is no coin. Then you'll see, that it is not the coin that flips, it is only yourself.

NOICE🤯🎱😎

Message 15 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're much better trying Synchrony and getting the Amazon Store Card as @Remedios suggested in your Apple Card thread. Citi is not as fond of low income as Synchrony is. I am in the $18K range myself and Citi gave me $1900 on my Rewards+ which hasn't grown while my Amazon Store Card hit $8K yesterday and increases with Synchrony are a SP affair. 

True, its much harder to get big limits on legacy, but manage credit well with Citi they will open up especially retailSmiley Wink

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a dp.

I got approved in April of last year, with around a 630 TU 2 collections, and reported income of 40k. However I had a squeaky clean report, as far as inquiries, excluding a rental one in August 2018, if you have say under 3 inqs in 12 months, and 1 or two new accounts in 12, I'd say go for it another great idea like a poster above said is try prequal for home Depot if that's a yes bb should be a yes, also if you can prequal any legacy card on the Citi site bb will definitely be a yes, also keep in mind be prepared if approved all CLI is HP, they won't even discuss CLI for most likely 12 months, and getting an auto cli on it is like finding a unicorn, cli for Citi seems inq sensitive in my experience

Message 17 of 20
RSX
Valued Contributor

@AJC

i know it can be done, but it was also based on the answers to the questions I listed first. Which haven't been answered yet

overall what I meant was. If you have all your profile in a good place, without many Inq, without new accounts, then you have your best chance

low income is a factor.  But if everything else is lined up, then it becomes a smaller factor.  

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're much better trying Synchrony and getting the Amazon Store Card as @Remedios suggested in your Apple Card thread. Citi is not as fond of low income as Synchrony is. I am in the $18K range myself and Citi gave me $1900 on my Rewards+ which hasn't grown while my Amazon Store Card hit $8K yesterday and increases with Synchrony are a SP affair. 

True, its much harder to get big limits on legacy, but manage credit well with Citi they will open up especially retailSmiley Wink

Yes I know but it's still more challenging than Sync is. 

Message 19 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@RSX wrote:

@AJC

i know it can be done, but it was also based on the answers to the questions I listed first. Which haven't been answered yet

overall what I meant was. If you have all your profile in a good place, without many Inq, without new accounts, then you have your best chance

low income is a factor.  But if everything else is lined up, then it becomes a smaller factor.  

I hear yaSmiley Happy Just wanted people such as Op, whose income is low,  that it can be done and not to feel like it cant be achieved. Now were it Chase CSR, id cover my eyes , plug my ears, and learn brailleSmiley Wink🙋‍♂️

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.