cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offers in the mail.

tag
Keeyz

Offers in the mail.

I’m getting Discover Card letters asking to apply and to put an Invitation # that is provided in the letter. Should I use this number or should I just apply normally without it? Will there be any difference if I do??
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Offers in the mail.

Yes, there'll be a difference. Check what's currently being offered on their website and compare it to your offer. Use the invitation code if the mail offer is better than the website. Or vice versa.

Message 2 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Keeyz wrote:
I’m getting Discover Card letters asking to apply and to put an Invitation # that is provided in the letter. Should I use this number or should I just apply normally without it? Will there be any difference if I do??

Those letters are usually "several" months old by the time they reach you. CRA selects customers based on lenders preference, so it takes a while for the whole process to complete. 

Discover offers preapproval on their website (solid one at that, too), so if interested, I'd run a preapproval and apply from there

You want to make sure your credit situation did not change enough to warrant a denial, or get worse terms outlined in the letter because your situation improved. 

In most cases, terms are put in effect at the time of application, so I may be overly cautious. In any case, preapproval from their website is safer option. 

Message 3 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Just go the the discover prequalify site plug your info in and it will ask you at the bottom if you are responding to an offer.  Its a soft pull and see if you qualify then when you apply they will do a HP.

Good luck

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 21
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Okay, this is no fun

We need someone to disagree Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 21
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Remedios 

Yes this is no fun 😂

Good luck OP let us know the outcome if you apply.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, check the prequal on Discover’s site and then apply through Amazon if you have a prequal and you’ll get a $75 statement credit for making a purchase on Amazon with the card in the first 3 months. 

Here’s the IT: https://www.amazon.com/Discover-test_model-it®-Cash-Back/dp/B00AW3IXZO

And if you would rather have 3% cash back for the first year (1.5% on each purchase plus 1.5% match after a year) instead of rotating categories, there’s the IT Miles: https://www.amazon.com/Discover-test_model-it®-Miles/dp/B00UCFEZOU

Message 7 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:

Okay, this is no fun

We need someone to disagree Smiley LOL

PhotoGrid_1565324228652.jpg

Message 8 of 21
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@Keeyz wrote:

It has been my experience that the offers in the mail come with a higher SUB in many cases. They have been sent usually because your credit profile meets the criteria that the issuer is seeking customers from. For instance, they might request the names and addresses of all who have a credit score between 730 and 780. I, as a result get very few mailed offers. People with very high scores are often transactors, and are therefore less profitable for the issuer. People with very low scores often have a much greater risk of default, but are very profitable if they do not default. Those with average scores are usually reasonably low risk, but still tend to carry a balance...this is the group that is most profitable for most issuers. This group also gets mail offers for every non sub-prime credit card imaginable. The 800+ score group recieves comaratively few mail offers. The below average score individuals recieve many sub-prime offers...talking about you now Credit One. Due to my scores most of my offers are for charge cards that cater to high score customer bases...American Express, I am talking to you...quit sending me all these charge card offers please, the fees are ridiculous, and credit cards can be used like charge cards. I do not care how many times you tell me how very few are lucky enough to qualify for your card, or how it has no limit...it is not for me. 550 dollar annual fee..you people have lost your minds!!!

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 9 of 21
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@sarge12 wrote:

@Keeyz wrote:

It has been my experience that the offers in the mail come with a higher SUB in many cases. They have been sent usually because your credit profile meets the criteria that the issuer is seeking customers from. For instance, they might request the names and addresses of all who have a credit score between 730 and 780. I, as a result get very few mailed offers. People with very high scores are often transactors, and are therefore less profitable for the issuer. People with very low scores often have a much greater risk of default, but are very profitable if they do not default. Those with average scores are usually reasonably low risk, but still tend to carry a balance...this is the group that is most profitable for most issuers. This group also gets mail offers for every non sub-prime credit card imaginable. The 800+ score group recieves comaratively few mail offers. The below average score individuals recieve many sub-prime offers...talking about you now Credit One. Due to my scores most of my offers are for charge cards that cater to high score customer bases...American Express, I am talking to you...quit sending me all these charge card offers please, the fees are ridiculous, and credit cards can be used like charge cards. I do not care how many times you tell me how very few are lucky enough to qualify for your card, or how it has no limit...it is not for me. 550 dollar annual fee..you people have lost your minds!!!

You forgot to tag @AmericanExpress

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.