Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Credit Unions Guide

tag
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: The Official Credit Unions Guide

@Anonymous wrote:

NFCU- My first go around with a credit union. They needed my latest W-2 to open an account. Why? I have no idea, but I sent it to them. A week later they email saying they can't read it. I email the same attachment, this time they must be able to see it because they open my accounts, savings and Flagship checking. Apllied for Flagship Visa on Friday and it goes to 24 HR review. They pulled TU for the membership and TU for the credit app. Totally clean file, 736 fico 8, AAoA 3 yrs., income $248k. Saturday denied, "You don't meet our underwriting guidelines." I changed the checking to everyday(no min balance) and transferred $50 to it where it can sit until I figure out what I will do. I'm looking to change banks and had every intention of moving my direct deposit to them. Instead I moved it to USAA. 

WOW! That is VERY odd. Did you send them a recon thru secure message? I don't see any reason you shouldn't have gotten a high limit approval out the gate!Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm waiting on the letter before I call. I checked TU and I have 4 hardpulls from NFCU in one day. I'm not sure I want to do business with them.

Message 12 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm waiting on the letter before I call. I checked TU and I have 4 hardpulls from NFCU in one day. I'm not sure I want to do business with them.

WOW!! I would be pissed too!! Smiley Mad

Message 13 of 624
echoecho
Regular Contributor

New to the CU banking. Joined Penfed Jan 15 when car died and approved for 30k. App for va refi Jan 16 and talked into getting Promise cc 10k sl. VA refi denied due to uti. Researched va financing and lowered DTI to va limit. Refi auto jul 16 to lower more DTI. App va refi on August and closed sept 6 weeks after apping. Mortgage crew were in Nebraska and not Oregon. 100% better quality service.

Data point Jan 16 Penfed was still using stricter va guidelines and not use reserves. A month or so later that overlay was lifted.

App Nfcu membership in August to shop for best rates. Membership app took 4 weeks , all conditions completed with Penfed va refi when accepted to Nfcu. After closing on va refi with Penfed app for Nfcu platinum cc with 25k sl. Waiting next year to app for second cc.
Message 14 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay @BallerSmiley Happy.  You are the best.  Thanks for starting a new threadSmiley Happy.

Message 15 of 624
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

ok, after all that hoopla, here's my credit union stats.

Alaska USA- opened checking and savings, no hp. Just Chex Systems verified. 

Branches in Alaska (duh), Washington, Arizona, Nevada??, and California. Geo restricted

SCE FCU- opened business and personal checking. No hp, just Chex systems verified. 

Branches in Southern California and Nevada. Geo restricted.

I don't have any credit products with any credit union. I'll probably apply for a Visa from a credit union spring of 2017.  

I must admit, I'm a rookie when it comes to credit unions.  My cu experience spans about 5 months or so.

So thanks to Baller, our elected Credit Union  Queen👑 for getting the "ball-rolling" ( no pun intended😁)  

Love the title!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 16 of 624
lhcole77
Valued Contributor

SDFCU-joined June 2013. No HP to join, 1 EX HP for CC app. $15K CC @ 7.24%. Frequently receive instant loan check offers. APR as low as 7ish %. 720 EX needed for best terms. Will use same credit HP for multiple apps. No POI.

NASA-joined Sept 2014. No HP. $30K CC @ 10% and $20K PLOC @ 8.5%. 50K is max unsecured credit exposure. EX02 of 720-730 needed for best terms. Will use same credit HP for multiple apps up to 60 days. No POI.

NFCU-joined June 2016. 167 HPs Smiley Tongue $16.1K CC @ 10.24% and $15K PLOC @ 13.24%. No POI.

Note: this was my experience based on time of apps. Best terms were communicated to me via CSR at that time.  Things may have changed. 

Message 17 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea - I'll throw on my list:

NFCU - I'm rebuilding my credit...what else is there to say?

Inspirus - Open to Washington State residents.  I joined for 7.00% APY on my first $500 in checking and savings.  Currently using them to hold $500 in checking which I push to my Cap One card every 2 weeks when I get paid and another $500 shows up. (I split my direct deposit to several of these to meet account qualification requirements)

BECUOpen to Washington State residents. Joined for 4% APY on my first $500 in checking and savings.  currently my main bills account and financial hub.

STCU - Open to Washington State residents.  Long time member since college, joined then, stayed for the 5% APY on the first $500 in savings.

OBEE - Open to Washington State residents.  My highest yeld savings account - 7.53% APY on the first $500.

Alliant - my DW has her share-secured loan here.  Why?  You will find the answer in this thread.

I have plans to join Penfed after the beginning of 2017 once I've rebuilt more, before my NLUS membership expires.

Message 18 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

Golden 1 CU 

-EX SP for membership & opening checking/savings

-Have not opened a CC or LOC yet but they have a great sounding Platinum Rewards Visa (7.79-13.79 APR, 3% on gas, grocery, restaurant, 1% all other purchases, no AF or BT fees) - wil be an EX or EQ HP from what I was told

-Loan rates look very competitive

-Membership open to California residents, but I know there another way to join for residents of certain other states per an old thread I read on here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Changes-to-Golden-1-Plat-Rewards-Visa-3-3-3-1/td-p/3650...

Message 19 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

@grillandwinemaster wrote:

ok, after all that hoopla, here's my credit union stats.

Alaska USA- opened checking and savings, no hp. Just Chex Systems verified. 

Branches in Alaska (duh), Washington, Arizona, Nevada??, and California. Geo restricted

SCE FCU- opened business and personal checking. No hp, just Chex systems verified. 

Branches in Southern California and Nevada. Geo restricted.

I don't have any credit products with any credit union. I'll probably apply for a Visa from a credit union spring of 2017.  

I must admit, I'm a rookie when it comes to credit unions.  My cu experience spans about 5 months or so.

So thanks to Baller, our elected Credit Union  Queen👑 for getting the "ball-rolling" ( no pun intended😁)  

Love the title!

😂And thanks to YOU for your thread that made sure we kept the CU data collection ball rolling!

Thanks everyone for your contributions. Always a good idea to have a few CUs on deck for low rate loans and high rate banking accounts. Love the lists! Keep em coming! 😄

Message 20 of 624
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.