Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fence Marriott Amex Brilliant card

tag
RockyTop_TN
New Contributor

On the fence Marriott Amex Brilliant card

Have been gardening and laying low for awhile.  I have a co-branded Amex for flying (Amex Delta Reserve) and I stay at Marriotts 98% of the time, so thinking of the Marriott Bonvoy Amex Brilliant card.  It has some good benefits but it comes with a 650 annual fee.  I already pay 550 for the Delta Amex.  Anyone have any experience or input on this card?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Re: On the fence Marriott Amex Brilliant card

Maybe consider Chase's Bonvoy Bountiful or Boundless card. Lower annuel fees and great bonus offers.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695 | Experian FICO 9 : 665
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@RockyTop_TN wrote:

Have been gardening and laying low for awhile.  I have a co-branded Amex for flying (Amex Delta Reserve) and I stay at Marriotts 98% of the time, so thinking of the Marriott Bonvoy Amex Brilliant card.  It has some good benefits but it comes with a 650 annual fee.  I already pay 550 for the Delta Amex.  Anyone have any experience or input on this card?

I highly recommend the AMEX Bonvoy Brilliant, @RockyTop_TN.  Don't be scared off by the (apparent) high AF without evaluating what you get for your money. 

For someone who travels and stays at Marriott properties, it's almost a no-brainer.  While the AF is close to that of the Platinum card, the Brilliant packs *WAY* more value for me than the Platinum credits.  IMO, it easily pays for itself.  It also offers perks and benefits you find on some other premium cards like the Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve.  Yes, they did change the $300 annual credit to a monthly $25 dining credit, but it's not super-restrictive like the selected $10 credits on the Gold card (for Ruth Chris, Shake Shake, Grub Hub, etc.)  That's easy for me to meet just using it once a month for dining out, and lowers the effective AF to $350.  The higher $650 AF variation (as opposed to the previous $450 AF) elevates loyalty status to Platinum as opposed to just Gold.  Since my company pays for my Marriott stays, I don't get enough night credits to qualify for this status and it's very helpful.  On a recent trip, DW and I got free breakfast on two nights stays (average bill would have been about $40 to $45.)   On another stay, the hotel provided the points-gift option.  With the previous automatic Gold status, hotel spend earned 25% more points per dollar spend.  The Platinum status boosts that to 50% more points earned per dollar spend.  That could be a big bonus, depending on Marriott spend.  And then of course, the 85K point annual free night stay easily makes up the remainder of the AF.  I used mine on a room that would have cost me $700+ on a big-city stay. All of the above has more than refunded my AF, and there is more potential value left for those that can use it.   I believe the credits are just much easier to achieve and justify on the Brilliant than most other AMEX cards.   I don't mind paying a high AF if I'm getting good value back.  Personally, I think AMEX should make their other cards more like the Brilliant. 

It also provides TSA Global Entry credit every four years ($25/year value), $100 Marriott property credit, 25 night-stay credits towards even higher loyalty status, and Priority Pass Select airport lounge benefits.   And the 6x points (at Marriott) + 3x points (dining) + 2x points (everywhere else) makes it a lucrative card, especially for spend in-hotel.  And like other AMEX cards, you have access to AMEX offers. 

For travel/shopping protections, you receive:

• Return Protection
  • Purchase Protection
  • Extended Warranty
  • Baggage Insurance
  • Trip Cancellation Insurance
  • Trip Delay Insurance
  • Access to Global Assist Hotline
  • Rental Car CDW Program access
  • No FTF

And finally, it's a very nice and durable metal card, the same weight as an AMEX Gold card. 

In summary, I think the card packs a huge value for the AF.  I've had the Chase Bonvoy Boundless and I think it's a good card for the $95 AF.  (Automatic Silver Status = 10% more points on stays; 35K point annual night cover the AF; 15 elite night credits.)  But the Bonvoy Brilliant is just in a completely different class for Marriott loyalists. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 3 of 15
RockyTop_TN
New Contributor

Thanks for the break down.  Seems like a no brainer for platinum status and would definitely complement my Delta Reserve card.  Thanks!

Message 4 of 15
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

The mid-tier Chase Bonvy and AmEx Bevy are two of the worst hotel cards.  Stay away from them.

AmEx Brilliant is s good card.  The 85,000 free night is worth about $600.  Everyone can use the $25/month dining credit.  Those two alone are worth about $900.  It is no brainer.  And you get Marriott Platinum for free.

Sure if you do not travel, the free night is worthless.  Then why need to keep a hotel CC?

Message 5 of 15
RockyTop_TN
New Contributor

I am starting to travel more than I used to.  Using points for a two night stay in Halifax, Nova Scotia from LAX.

Message 6 of 15
Jeffster1
Valued Contributor

Amex Bonvoy Bevy will be next in my sights if I decide to take a break from gardening in 2023. I usually stay at Marriott hotels and the annual fee is the upper limit of what I'm willing to pay. 

FICO 8 (3/1/24) EX 805 EQ 824 TU 844
FICO 9 (2/17/24) EX 821 EQ 778TU 850
I practice AZEO - NEVER above 1% utilization across all cards.

Current lineup as of 9/23
American Express Gold | American Express Blue Cash Everyday 11K | American Express Blue Cash Preferred 10K I American Express Marriott Bonvoy Bevy 5K I American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 3K I Bank of America Customized Cash Rewards Visa 20K | Kinecta MyPerks Rewards MC 35K | TD Bank Double Up Visa 4K | USBank Platinum Visa 5K | BMO Harris Cash Back MasterCard 12K | Capital One SavorOne MC 3K | Capital One Walmart MC 2K | NFCU Amex 15K | NFCU CashRewards Visa 15K I Citi Best Buy Visa 10K I Macy’s Amex 4K I Bread Financial American Express 8K l AAA Daily Advantage Visa Signature 6K I Wells Fargo BILT World Elite MC 30K I BCU Cash Rewards Visa 8K I Chevron Techron Advantage Visa 2.5K I JCPenney Mastercard $6K I UCLA Wescom CU Rewards Visa 7K I
Message 7 of 15
AyaMai
Frequent Contributor

Go for Chase's Bonvoy Bountiful or Boundless card or Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant , but the new Marriott cards are worthless.

Message 8 of 15
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

The one thing I will say be on the look out for is the "free night" offering.

Here's the verbiage:

Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.

I emboldened and underlined the key part. I point this out because they used this same verbiage on my AMEX Delta Platinum card for a companion certificate. Asked them about the companion certificate after opening the card and was told it's only after annual renewals.

So there is a good change there is NO free night for your first year... only after your card renewal month.

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 9 of 15
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

The one thing I will say be on the look out for is the "free night" offering.

Here's the verbiage:

Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card renewal month. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel. Certain hotels have resort fees.

I emboldened and underlined the key part. I point this out because they used this same verbiage on my AMEX Delta Platinum card for a companion certificate. Asked them about the companion certificate after opening the card and was told it's only after annual renewals.

So there is a good change there is NO free night for your first year... only after your card renewal month.

This is always true with almost all hotel and airline cards.  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.