Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One last piece of advice! Please!

tag
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Re: One last piece of advice! Please!

If Cap One only gave you $300 3 months ago, I would wait a year to apply for anything.

Use what you have and pay it off every month after statement hits. 

Then pay all but one off each month before the statement hits.

Alternate, rinse, repeat.

Check prequals next year.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 11 of 20
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When did you get the cards?

What is AAoA? AoOA? AoYA?

4.7 years. First account opened 21 years ago.

Disco 1 year

Capital One 3 months

Bank One 9 months

Amex 2 days, haven't even received card yet. 

Getting another card now doesn't seem problematic based on the various account ages. However, your score does seem on the low side for a BoA Rewards Card.  Any derogs with the CRAs?  Are you just looking for a cash back card to compliment your Disco?

To be honest. I am, not sure what I want or need. I know I want to have a total of 5 cards. Eventually, I want to drop Credit One. But for now, I just want to add 1 more card so they all age at the same time. 

Have you thought about trying the Citi pre-qual site?  If you're looking for cash back, I love their Double Cash card.  They also have some other nice rewards cards.  :-)

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dsotm76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When did you get the cards?

What is AAoA? AoOA? AoYA?

4.7 years. First account opened 21 years ago.

Disco 1 year

Capital One 3 months

Bank One 9 months

Amex 2 days, haven't even received card yet. 

Getting another card now doesn't seem problematic based on the various account ages. However, your score does seem on the low side for a BoA Rewards Card.  Any derogs with the CRAs?  Are you just looking for a cash back card to compliment your Disco?

To be honest. I am, not sure what I want or need. I know I want to have a total of 5 cards. Eventually, I want to drop Credit One. But for now, I just want to add 1 more card so they all age at the same time. 

Have you thought about trying the Citi pre-qual site?  If you're looking for cash back, I love their Double Cash card.  They also have some other nice rewards cards.  :-)

Aren't bank cards hard to get? Don't u need a 700+ fico?

Message 13 of 20
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dsotm76

With the pre-qual site, it doesn't hurt your score and you can see if you have an offer from them.  

Citi Pre-Qual

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Message 14 of 20
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone. First, I would like to thank all of you for being so incredibly helpful. I started with my scores at 520 and now they're at 650.

I need one last piece of advice. 

I have a Discover It card ($2k), Capital One ($300), Bank One($450) and I just got approved a couple of days ago for an AMEX Delta card ($1k)

Question is, is now a good time to apply for one last card and then just age them and focus on CLI's. If now is a good time, which cards should I focus on getting given my scores? I would like BofA cash rewards but my fico may be too low. I would appreciate feedback from you guys!

No it is time for you to cease making credit applications, and to water your 'garden' and let your scores grow.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dsotm76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dsotm76

With the pre-qual site, it doesn't hurt your score and you can see if you have an offer from them.  

Citi Pre-Qual

No offers for me at this time. 

@dsotm76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@dsotm76

Citi Pre-Qual

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone. First, I would like to thank all of you for being so incredibly helpful. I started with my scores at 520 and now they're at 650.

I need one last piece of advice. 

I have a Discover It card ($2k), Capital One ($300), Bank One($450) and I just got approved a couple of days ago for an AMEX Delta card ($1k)

Question is, is now a good time to apply for one last card and then just age them and focus on CLI's. If now is a good time, which cards should I focus on getting given my scores? I would like BofA cash rewards but my fico may be too low. I would appreciate feedback from you guys!

No it is time for you to cease making credit applications, and to water your 'garden' and let your scores grow.

Don't you think it's wise to have 1 more card? Making it 5 total?

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, 4 is best for OCD purposes!

I just used that pre-qual for citi, and nothing came up. But they did suggest 3 cards. lol

Was hoping i'd get te greenlight for AAdvantage card. Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No, 4 is best for OCD purposes!

I just used that pre-qual for citi, and nothing came up. But they did suggest 3 cards. lol

Was hoping i'd get te greenlight for AAdvantage card. Smiley Sad

OK! I couldn't help myself LOL

I was making my usual daily purchase on Amazon when the "Apply for Amazon Store Card" thingy came up. This forum is so much help it's almost sad that more people don't know about it. Anyway, after doing a little research I saw people with similar scores to mine were getting approved. Yes, they were getting small SL. But after reading 5% cash back on Amazon purchases, it seemed like a no-brainer. I applied and was pleasantly surprised to see I got an SL of $1000. Ok, GARDEN TIME BABY!

Message 19 of 20
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous

OK! I couldn't help myself LOL

I was making my usual daily purchase on Amazon when the "Apply for Amazon Store Card" thingy came up. This forum is so much help it's almost sad that more people don't know about it. Anyway, after doing a little research I saw people with similar scores to mine were getting approved. Yes, they were getting small SL. But after reading 5% cash back on Amazon purchases, it seemed like a no-brainer. I applied and was pleasantly surprised to see I got an SL of $1000. Ok, GARDEN TIME BABY!

Congratulations!!!!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.