Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opportunity to apply?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opportunity to apply?

Amex is a good long term option w/ the variety of cards they offer.  Once you have one you can pick up others w/ a SP.  

Depends on your goals and spend.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't know amex were soft pulls after the first one. That's actually really cool! My spend isn't huge right now but it will be increasing over the next year or 2. Blue cash preferred is looking good for gas and tolls but I would only be using it for groceries and when gas isn't on the quarterly bonus for chase freedom. So, idk if the $95 annual will be worth it. Thank for bringing the amex soft pull to my attention. I've pre-qualified for 4 cards on the site but their no annual fee cards aren't super exiting.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can hit 250/mo on the 6% spend you'll break even.  

BCP

3000/yr * 0.06 = $180 - $95 AF = $85 (bonus of $250)

BCE

3000/yr * 0.03 = $90 (bonus of $200)

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no streaming services and I spend under the $250 on groceries currently. It looks like the Propel is actually a better fit because I'm driving 500 miles/week for school and eat out more than I cook for myself. Those factors, plus the $0 annual fee, make it a better offer for me. On the other hand, I want to be in the amex family for the long term benefits. Tough call haha! Thank you for doing the math 👍
Message 14 of 23
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have no streaming services and I spend under the $250 on groceries currently. It looks like the Propel is actually a better fit because I'm driving 500 miles/week for school and eat out more than I cook for myself. Those factors, plus the $0 annual fee, make it a better offer for me. On the other hand, I want to be in the amex family for the long term benefits. Tough call haha! Thank you for doing the math 👍

not to sway your decision in any way.

I have 5 Pure American Express Cards Plus The Propel, I do use The Propel Often, and I am Totally Happy.

I was pretty Fortunate, as They Gave Me a $15k SL.

when I travel, which is rare. Propel, Hilton Honors and Chase. Citi DC as a back up Just in Case.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that perspective! I want to get into the amex family but the cards wouldn't benefit me as much as the Propel right now. Once I'm out of school and my income jumps (aka spending jumps haha) I'll get a amex that is worth it for me. I just hope I'm not being to shortsighted.
Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do it!
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for that perspective! I want to get into the amex family but the cards wouldn't benefit me as much as the Propel right now. Once I'm out of school and my income jumps (aka spending jumps haha) I'll get a amex that is worth it for me. I just hope I'm not being to shortsighted.

Then what I would do is pick up BCE or ED just to get things started and put a subscription or monthly bill on it, setup autopay for the staement balance, and remember to ask for CLI's every 6 months for 3X the CL besides the first one at 61 days or activation.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I app the Propel as well or wait a couple months so the inquiries don't hurt so bad? So, ask for a CLI at 61 days and then every 6 months after that. Should the request at 61 days be for 3x also?
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 3X CLI applies to the Amex website Amex's

3X CLI @ 61 days is the 1st attempt after approval SP

3X CLI every 181 days after the 1st CLI is approved SP

Additional cards / approvals are SP if they state "pre-approved" and not "expand your relationship"

WF Propel lCLI's are a HP usually unless you play the game with the CSR by asking for an APR reduction and then ask if there's a CLI offer after that.  WF cards are issued by WF and don't fall under the 3X CLI that Amex issued cards do.  Usually WF looks for 6-12 months before providing a CLI.

If you can hit the spend bonus at the same time for Propel($3K) and say BCE ($1K) for a total of $4K then go for both if you want or space them out to make the free $$$ MSR.  You get 3 months to make the MSR to get the bonus.  

Since you eat out more than you get groceries another option would be Uber which is 4% on dining and a $100 bonus for a $500 spend.  Either one would be a good fit or both if you want to diversify your holdings which is a good idea for the long term as well. There's 100 different approaches for maximizing spend and hedging your card portfolio.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.