cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED - A Tale of TWO Credit Card Denials!!

tag
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

Re: PENFED - A Tale of TWO Credit Card Denials!!

@PRose123 wrote:
Wow. That's crazy. I just got an "invitation" as well from Penfed whom I love. It reads; "You are invited to apply for a Penfed Loan!" (with the exclamation point, Lol). I will NOT be applying now. Thank you so much for posting your experience. It looks like you are doing all the right things. I have 4 cards with Penfed already and would love to consolidate some of my others with a loan.

You're Welcome , I have learned so much from other myFico-ers since I joined that I wanted to add my PenFed experience to the Knowledge Base! 

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards VS $7.5K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 21 of 30
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry to hear about your denials, Marz Smiley Sad

Thanks , I just checked my emails and noticed an 'invitation' from PenFed to apply for the Power Cash Rewards card - the Very Same card they turned me down for on March 28th!!! Smiley Surprised

AMEX BCP $8K | AMEX Cash Magnet $15K | Citi DoubleCash WEMC $15.2K | Citi Rewards WMC $15.5K | Citi Costco VS $12K
Citi Custom Cash WEMC $7.8K | Synchrony (PayPal Credit $6K, Care Credit $15K, & PayPal 2% MC $10K, VENMO VS $6.5K)
PNC Cash Rewards VS $10.5K | NFCU cashRewards VS $14K | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $37.5K | NFCU Flagship Rewards VS $23K
Discover IT $22.5K | BB&T Cash Rewards $4.5K | Macy's AMEX $25K | Bloomingdales AMEX $20K | Apple Card WEMC $9K

Total CL - $284K+
Message 22 of 30
chhull00
Frequent Contributor

@Marz2002 wrote:

Hello myFico family...

Here is my PenFed story and I hope that it helps someone who is thinking about apping with PenFed.  Like many others, the idea of getting the MAX $10K PenFed SL (for new Members) on one their cards was very appealing to me.  Most of you know that I have been Rebuilding since Spring 2018 and have recently scored a Citi DC card with an $12,200 SL (last month).

Let's start this PenFed Tale at the beginning.  On March 28th, after reading about the latest $10K SL approved by PenFed, I decided to join the Party since I only had one 2% CashBack MC (PayPal) in my portfolio and I needed another one for a backup daily driver.  Joined PenFed with an EQ HP and after approval, immediately apped for the Power Cash Rewards card with another EQ HP.

INSTANT Denial! 

Reasons were 1) Percent of revolving accounts opened recently; 2) Percent of accounts opened recently; 3) Age of bankcard accounts.  According to PenFed, my EQ FICO was 723.  My UTIL was 7% (always PIF, AFTER statement cut) , AoOA 12 years, AAoA 2.4 years, AoYA 2 months - after 12 months of Rebuilding with only a $300 CL OpenSky card at the start.

Tried to Recon, but UW doesn't speak to PenFed members. Smiley Frustrated

OK, fast forward to yesterday.  There was a PenFed invitation  in my mailbox for a Platinum Rewards Signature card.  So, looking at the Offer's interest rate range (standard range for PenFed Platinum card, listed on their website), I decided after much gnashing of teeth to app for the card.

INSTANT Denial!

Reasons were Utilization of accounts and number of accounts.

Tried to Recon through Member Services and they reached out to UW (while I was On Hold) and were told that my Utilization was too high and I have TOO many credit cards!  My Utilization is 4% according to all 3 CBs.  Member Services rep stated that I was carrying too high of a balance on my credit cards and I told him that I always PIF after statements are generated. DECISION - No Soup for me! Smiley Sad

I told the PenFed rep to remove my name from their credit card promotion list since I am definitely unable to get an approval.  That pretty much ended our conversation.

According to PenFed my EQ FICO score is 734. 

3 HPs and NADA!! Smiley Surprised

That's my PenFed story and I am done with them in 2019!

YMMV... 

Two hp to find out they dont want your business, i would have stopped at one, their loss. when are these cc companies going to learn they are throwing money away from their business and word of mouth gets around fast in mho

Message 23 of 30
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@chhull00 wrote:

@Marz2002 wrote:

Hello myFico family...

Here is my PenFed story and I hope that it helps someone who is thinking about apping with PenFed.  Like many others, the idea of getting the MAX $10K PenFed SL (for new Members) on one their cards was very appealing to me.  Most of you know that I have been Rebuilding since Spring 2018 and have recently scored a Citi DC card with an $12,200 SL (last month).

Let's start this PenFed Tale at the beginning.  On March 28th, after reading about the latest $10K SL approved by PenFed, I decided to join the Party since I only had one 2% CashBack MC (PayPal) in my portfolio and I needed another one for a backup daily driver.  Joined PenFed with an EQ HP and after approval, immediately apped for the Power Cash Rewards card with another EQ HP.

INSTANT Denial! 

Reasons were 1) Percent of revolving accounts opened recently; 2) Percent of accounts opened recently; 3) Age of bankcard accounts.  According to PenFed, my EQ FICO was 723.  My UTIL was 7% (always PIF, AFTER statement cut) , AoOA 12 years, AAoA 2.4 years, AoYA 2 months - after 12 months of Rebuilding with only a $300 CL OpenSky card at the start.

Tried to Recon, but UW doesn't speak to PenFed members. Smiley Frustrated

OK, fast forward to yesterday.  There was a PenFed invitation  in my mailbox for a Platinum Rewards Signature card.  So, looking at the Offer's interest rate range (standard range for PenFed Platinum card, listed on their website), I decided after much gnashing of teeth to app for the card.

INSTANT Denial!

Reasons were Utilization of accounts and number of accounts.

Tried to Recon through Member Services and they reached out to UW (while I was On Hold) and were told that my Utilization was too high and I have TOO many credit cards!  My Utilization is 4% according to all 3 CBs.  Member Services rep stated that I was carrying too high of a balance on my credit cards and I told him that I always PIF after statements are generated. DECISION - No Soup for me! Smiley Sad

I told the PenFed rep to remove my name from their credit card promotion list since I am definitely unable to get an approval.  That pretty much ended our conversation.

According to PenFed my EQ FICO score is 734. 

3 HPs and NADA!! Smiley Surprised

That's my PenFed story and I am done with them in 2019!

YMMV... 

Two hp to find out they dont want your business, i would have stopped at one, their loss. when are these cc companies going to learn they are throwing money away from their business and word of mouth gets around fast in mho

Thanks for your comments ! The only reason I apped the 2nd time was the 'invitation" that I received in the mail! Smiley Sad

Total CL - $284K+
Message 24 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry @Marz2002, i feel your pain on this. Thank you for your support on my very bad Pendread mishap this last weekSmiley Happy. Im just going to let the little Puppy that COULDnt lie and look to the future with lenders who work with me not against me. See, still learning myself haha. You are better than those 2 denials so when you get your next 2 approvals, have a good rofl at PF and say its only 30 Seconds to Marz(2002) 😜
Message 25 of 30
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Sorry @Marz2002, i feel your pain on this. Thank you for your support on my very bad Pendread mishap this last weekSmiley Happy. Im just going to let the little Puppy that COULDnt lie and look to the future with lenders who work with me not against me. See, still learning myself haha. You are better than those 2 denials so when you get your next 2 approvals, have a good rofl at PF and say its only 30 Seconds to Marz(2002) 😜

AJC, so good to see you back in the neighborhood - we are here to support and encourage you!

I agree with you on letting that Little Puppy lie and focus on 'Approval Friendly' lenders instead. 

Thanks Joe, you are the best and keep all of us in stitches with your wittiness!

Total CL - $284K+
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there, Joe! Glad you're back, I reckon. 🤠
Wanna hear something screwed up?

Okay, so I read this post's line about a Penfed denial, and YOU just got a denial and it made me sad, confused, and quixotic! 😫😂🤣😜
Now, what I am about to say I have posted about before, so I'll sum it up quickly as I can. 🤔🤨😐 So, okay ... 😟😕😖

Like, when my Grandfather was born (age 3 or so?), he unencrypted all of the world's info (for the world's use), and then re-encrypted it, and built a machine creating an infinite energy supply (as a side hobby).
He was kinda super powerful and important. By the age of 9, he created the NSA. Alone.
And his family helped him build everything else, most all the members serving in the military "unofficially official" right after birth. Like, SUPER big deal.
Their military files were kinda hidden for security. However, after his time (at age 16) on the Marshall Islands, surviving several atom bomb tests (alone again, out of 2500 scientists and servicemen, "sole survivor"), he and my uncle (his brother) were asked to build the Pentagon and the current DOE (Dept. Of Atomic Energy at the time) and DOD.
They did just that. 🤫🤭😐

Like, I will get drunk, call the NSA, and ask why they don't love me anymore. 😳 Yeah, I know. If only I could do THAT sober, right?

So, I join up with the MF boards in the middle of 2017 to start my new credit goals, and ALL everyone talks about is this Holy Grail card from some place called "Penfed". Of course, now I want their card, but figure it was like a Diamond card from Amex-type lenders.
Duh, me. 😁 I finally figure out (because I asked on the boards) what Penfed was.
Pentagon Federal. 😱
Like, totally built inside and out by my Grandfather. 😬 Heh, but I never called the Pentagon before, and what if I can't prove his service or something, right? He's all ghosted!
And it's not like they OWE me a cool card!
But I hear millions of dollars might have not had to have been paid becuz my Granddaddy was the bomb like that.
Get it? The bomb??? 😂😃😅
Anyway. It's been 2 years. I've complained to others, and everyone says even Navy Fed would give me whatever, whenever, let alone Penfed!

But, ... you got denied. The OP was denied.
Others call it 'Pendred'. Rightly so.
So, ... even tho my Grandfather oversaw projects like "The Manhattan" one, ...
I fear calling or apping Penfed cuz it's like dat.

So, ... I app my feelings through harder avenues. Like FNBO travel cards even with 9 EX inqs, and overseas Amex cards, cuz it's 'American Express', not Japan or Singapore Express!
Heh, the 'Orient Express'! 😄

So, the day someone can get Joe a Penfed card and/or Me a good travel card that gives mad miles, but isn't inq picky; the day THIS OP gets a Penfed or Military Credit Union card, and/or someone shows Me how to get a Chase anything when I am WAY over 5/24, ...
Until a miracle occurs, ...
NO SOUP FOR THEM!!! 😠 I don't think I could handle a Pentagon denial, or any, really.
I got my first denial last week. Amex. Blu Pref.
And I SWEAR I almost ended it. 😭 They said too many new cards and inqs.
Three in 2 months, actually.

(But maybe that Delta Gold Amex, right? It's not revolving ...) 🤔🤨😐😣
So, I am the child of the child of the man who MADE the damned Pentagon, but fear rejection so badly that I may never app for their card. 😔

Plenty Pen-nyDreadful, alright.
*Penfed can suck it!* 😝

Message 27 of 30
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous , lol thanksSmiley Happy. Love your style too, its unique hereSmiley Happy. Let it be known i coined the phrase " Pendread Anonymous " so feel free to join usSmiley Wink
Message 28 of 30
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Marz2002 wrote:

Thanks for your comments ! The only reason I apped the 2nd time was the 'invitation" that I received in the mail! Smiley Sad

Yeah, Penfed seems to have upped their marketing "invitations" but still love to deny for the flimsiest reasons. I've been with them for over two years and get a couple email "invitations" weekly and a couple mailers monthly, I immediate delete the emails and toss the mailers, I will never app for one of their CCs. I was approved for Power Cash Rewards when I joined, with a whopping $1k CL, I had a Cap One card w/$20k CL & Amex w/$15k CL at the time. It was pure torture to run $1500 through that card to get the $100 SUB, with the 6 months restrictions on new members I pretty much had to pay every charge as soon as it posted because payments aren't released to CL for 10 days. But I did it, and after the 6 months torture for new members I requested a CLI, after the HP a denial for "insufficient experience at current CL". Smiley LOL I ran $1500 through a card with $1k CL in 2 months, what the effe to you want????

Right after that I was approved for the PayPal 2% Cashback MC w/$7k SL (now $10k), so I immediately closed PCR and my checking account. But then, after a ridiculous 3 months+ processing they finally approved my Home Equity LOC, so I stay with them but a basic savings account and the HELOC is all they'll ever get from me. Well, they are good for car loans but I'm set for that for quite awhile, but credit cards? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Message 29 of 30
Marz2002
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Marz2002 wrote:

Yeah, Penfed seems to have upped their marketing "invitations" but still love to deny for the flimsiest reasons. I've been with them for over two years and get a couple email "invitations" weekly and a couple mailers monthly, I immediate delete the emails and toss the mailers, I will never app for one of their CCs. I was approved for Power Cash Rewards when I joined, with a whopping $1k CL, I had a Cap One card w/$20k CL & Amex w/$15k CL at the time. It was pure torture to run $1500 through that card to get the $100 SUB, with the 6 months restrictions on new members I pretty much had to pay every charge as soon as it posted because payments aren't released to CL for 10 days. But I did it, and after the 6 months torture for new members I requested a CLI, after the HP a denial for "insufficient experience at current CL". Smiley LOL I ran $1500 through a card with $1k CL in 2 months, what the effe to you want????

Right after that I was approved for the PayPal 2% Cashback MC w/$7k SL (now $10k), so I immediately closed PCR and my checking account. But then, after a ridiculous 3 months+ processing they finally approved my Home Equity LOC, so I stay with them but a basic savings account and the HELOC is all they'll ever get from me. Well, they are good for car loans but I'm set for that for quite awhile, but credit cards? Fuhgeddaboudit!

Thanks for sharing your experience with PenFed !

During my Recons after PenFed denials, I asked the Rep if they would approve a 'starter' CL and the answer was ALWAYS No!  SERIOUSLY???

Sounds like you put in an Olympic effort to manage the spend on your $1K CL account for the SUB! Smiley LOL 

And, after your Over the Top efforts, they DENY you (with an HP) for a CLI!!! Smiley Sad

Total CL - $284K+
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.