Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying credit card on time?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying credit card on time?

I just got a first progress and green dot secured card. My question is this...if I setup auto pay would my payment ever new late? Like for instance off my bill is due on the 15th and then it auto pays the 15th but the Credit card doesn't get the money the same day, am I considered late? Whats the best way to not be late on my payments?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying credit card on time?

The best way to build your profile and scores is actively managing your accounts. The first rule in credit is to never, ever miss or be late on a payment. Autopay is a good idea as a backup in case you’re incapacitated or otherwise unable to get online and pay, but don’t just put your accounts on autopilot and forget about them.

Actively monitor your accounts at least a few times a week. Don’t wait til the last minute to pay - pay sooner rather than later in the unlikely event that there’s a snag in the transfer of funds. Make a spreadsheet to track it all and check it along with your accounts, update it as needed. Waiting til the last day to pay is playing with Fire. I usually pay within a day or two after the statement cuts so I KNOW the bill is covered and then throughout the rest of the statement period I can pay extra if I don’t PIF at first. Get into the mindset of caring for it like a newborn and as time goes by you’ll see where and when you can relax, but at first the vigilance is best, as it’ll ingrain the necessary mindset required for properly managing your accounts.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

And as far as the autopay question you specifically asked, as long as the payment is initiated by the time and date indicated, and it goes through, you’re good. The money may not clear your bank account the same day but as long as you get the confirmation screen saying “thanks for your payment” then you’re credited for making the payment.

Pay attention though - many of my cards will credit a payment on the date I make it as long as I do so by midnight EXCEPT on the due date. On that day, it may be an earlier time, like 5pm. You don’t want to go make your payment on the due date at 10pm and then find out it was due 5 hours before. This is another reason to pay early in the cycle - ample time to send payment and see it credited to your account.
Message 3 of 10
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

You can set autopay to a few days before the due date, it doesn’t have to be on the same day. That way if there are any issues, you’ll have time to fix it. Also, many card issuers will credit you on the day payment is made, so just make sure that is the case. I would definitely keep an eye on your accounts in the beginning to get a feel for how long it takes for payments to go through. Depending on your limits and use, you might have to make a few payments a month to keep utilization down anyway.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve always autopayed my accounts on the due date and have never received a late payment.

Message 5 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The best way to build your profile and scores is actively managing your accounts. The first rule in credit is to never, ever miss or be late on a payment. Autopay is a good idea as a backup in case you’re incapacitated or otherwise unable to get online and pay, but don’t just put your accounts on autopilot and forget about them.

Actively monitor your accounts at least a few times a week. Don’t wait til the last minute to pay - pay sooner rather than later in the unlikely event that there’s a snag in the transfer of funds. Make a spreadsheet to track it all and check it along with your accounts, update it as needed. Waiting til the last day to pay is playing with Fire. I usually pay within a day or two after the statement cuts so I KNOW the bill is covered and then throughout the rest of the statement period I can pay extra if I don’t PIF at first. Get into the mindset of caring for it like a newborn and as time goes by you’ll see where and when you can relax, but at first the vigilance is best, as it’ll ingrain the necessary mindset required for properly managing your accounts.

Excellent advice

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 6 of 10
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I’ve always autopayed my accounts on the due date and have never received a late payment.

But there’s always a first time for everything. It’s Murphy’s Law—if it can happen, it will. 

IMHO, it’s just best to be safe than sorry. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 10
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just got a first progress and green dot secured card. My question is this...if I setup auto pay would my payment ever new late? Like for instance off my bill is due on the 15th and then it auto pays the 15th but the Credit card doesn't get the money the same day, am I considered late? Whats the best way to not be late on my payments?

Pay at last 4-5 days in advance in case something goes wrong. It gives you enough time to do some damage control. 

Autopay may not work properly during the fist cycle, so make sure your payment goes through when you first set it up. 

You would not be late in your example, but should you accidentally transpose numbers or something, you'd be late and have returned payment

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But there’s always a first time for everything. It’s Murphy’s Law—if it can happen, it will. 

IMHO, it’s just best to be safe than sorry. 

A few months ago my bank account was frozen (not my fault) and my Citi CC payment was due & rejected.  I had to pay a returned check fee, called Citi, paid my CC 6 days after the due date but before the end of the billing period and there was no hit to my credit.

Message 9 of 10
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.