Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Platinum Rewards CLI denied due to husband's charge-off

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Platinum Rewards CLI denied due to husband's charge-off

Looking for advice/suggestions...

I've had the PFCU Platinum Rewards Visa for about 4 years...always paid on time & used responsibly; SL $15,200. Current utilization for that specific account hovers around 20-25%, overall utilization on all other revolving accounts is about 15-20%, and one auto loan $35k. Recently added as AU on PenFed Promise (Jan 2019; resulted in hard pull) with SL $11,500. One derog collection account (medical bill that should have been paid by ins; currently disputing).

I decided to request a CLI (first time) and was denied immediately citing "Occurrence of severe derog event" and "Utilization of accounts, number of accounts, and /or derog event." When I viewed my credit report, I realized that my husband's old charged-off account is now showing up on my credit report (it hadn't before). His account was closed/charged off in 2016. I never had any issues until now, so I emailed to request a recon, letting them know that my husband added me to that account as an authorized user. They said I could request to have the app reviewed again by "submitting a request for recon with explanation and documentation of the incorrect information" (which I thought I'd already done when I requested that they reconsider the denial??). 

Any suggestions on how to get this pushed through, or should I just let it go and try again later? Is it too late to make the HP count? p.s. EQ 750+

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Platinum Rewards CLI denied due to husband's charge-off

Dispute the account off of your credit reports as not responsible for the account and then furnish them with the dispute results showing it has been removed and try again. 

Message 2 of 9
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Dispute the account off of your credit reports as not responsible for the account and then furnish them with the dispute results showing it has been removed and try again. 

+1

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply; Dispute initiated on 3/26 -- eagerly awaiting results.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for the reply; Dispute initiated on 3/26 -- eagerly awaiting results.

Once you get those results, give them to PenFed and try again. 

Keep in mind though, asking for a CLI on a card with a balance is not ideal and will almost always result in a less satisfactory result than a $0 balance (notable exceptions being NFCU and Discover). 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Keep in mind though, asking for a CLI on a card with a balance is not ideal and will almost always result in a less satisfactory result than a $0 balance (notable exceptions being NFCU and Discover). 

Ahhh...note taken; missed that important little detail. Thank you very much.

Message 6 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

To add, having a high credit score is meaningless when dealing with Penfed, imho. You would think it means something but it doesnt, just something for us to like. Ive been rejected with 800 Eq 9 and they could care less. Good luck thoughSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
To add, having a high credit score is meaningless when dealing with Penfed, imho. You would think it means something but it doesnt, just something for us to like. Ive been rejected with 800 Eq 9 and they could care less. Good luck thoughSmiley Happy

Thanks, but that's very unfortunate; I've financed 3 vehicles and had personal loans and lines of credit with them, (scores were actually lower back then), all with great experiences overall. They must have turned up the heat in the approval kitchen over the past few months because I never had any issues with them until now. Welp, we'll see what happens. 

Message 8 of 9
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Thanks, but that's very unfortunate; I've financed 3 vehicles and had personal loans and lines of credit with them, (scores were actually lower back then), all with great experiences overall. They must have turned up the heat in the approval kitchen over the past few months because I never had any issues with them until now. Welp, we'll see what happens. 

Yeah Penfed has tightened up quite a bit since the beginning of 2018 as far as I can remember. 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.