Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Power Cash Rewards - Denied

tag
difringe
Established Contributor

PenFed Power Cash Rewards - Denied

Was feeling froggy after getting the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa and figured might as well app for another card before that one starts reporting.

Scores are in the sig, AAoA is 9yrs, AoYA is about 3.5yrs, Utilization at 1%, had 0 Equifax inquiries; I do have missed payments in my payment history, which is what the CSR said was the reason for the denial; I'll be at 12 months without a missed payment in February, so might call in and see if I'd have a decent shot at the card then or if I have to wait longer bc of poor history.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Power Cash Rewards - Denied

PenFed is a strange beast. I feel the same way about PenFed as many do about NFCU - monkeys and a dart board for CC UW decisions. 

Message 2 of 17
difringe
Established Contributor

Yea definitely surprised considering the attitude about PenFed on here...I sent in a survey, haven't gotten a response, gonna call on Monday and see if recon is kind to me. Honestly, if I don't get the card either now or February, probably just gonna let the savings account I opened there just sit, no point in trying to build that relationship.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@difringe wrote:

Yea definitely surprised considering the attitude about PenFed on here...I sent in a survey, haven't gotten a response, gonna call on Monday and see if recon is kind to me. Honestly, if I don't get the card either now or February, probably just gonna let the savings account I opened there just sit, no point in trying to build that relationship.

Good luck, I hope they get it resolved for you! I pretty much gave up on PenFed for now, they denied me in September for new accounts (I had only added 2 at that point and my Cap turns 5 in May) and NFCU has been amazing to me so I don’t see myself with PenFed unless something changes. Fortunately I did the app over the phone before doing the membership so that my time wasn’t wasted. Of course that also meant no ability to recon (the app was sent right to UW and a decision was made and told to me), maybe if I had done the membership and gotten the survey I would have the card, who knows?

Message 4 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Their UW will use any excuse they deem fit for denial. I agree, their method on who they give credit and how much is kind of wack. . I dont mind be rejected, lol ok it sucks, but if it were more equal overall id be more ok with it. I dont like Chase but at least they can be consistant with their 5/24.
Message 5 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@difringe wrote:

Was feeling froggy after getting the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa and figured might as well app for another card before that one starts reporting.

Scores are in the sig, AAoA is 9yrs, AoYA is about 3.5yrs, Utilization at 1%, had 0 Equifax inquiries; I do have missed payments in my payment history, which is what the CSR said was the reason for the denial; I'll be at 12 months without a missed payment in February, so might call in and see if I'd have a decent shot at the card then or if I have to wait longer bc of poor history.

Having missed payments with in the last 24 months, Penfed needs to be a hard pass for anyone considering. I'm surprised Chase didn't deny you to be completely honest. Most of these lending institutions are pretty stringent on missed payments, especially under 1 year.

I wouldn't give up on them just yet. You need to allow the missed payments to fade before attempting to obtain a loan of any kind with them or any other lender.

Message 6 of 17
difringe
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@difringe wrote:

Having missed payments with in the last 24 months, Penfed needs to be a hard pass for anyone considering. I'm surprised Chase didn't deny you to be completely honest. Most of these lending institutions are pretty stringent on missed payments, especially under 1 year.

So I'm definitely also surprised I got the Chase card with what I've read on here, but I will say, what's the point of a credit score if you're still going to treat one portion of the credit score as far more important than the others? Like I could understand if my score was under 600 and I had the missed payments, but I'll (likely) be at 700 across the board next month when I reach 12 months without a missed payment, my income is fine, and I've got 14 accounts.  I'd rather they made the payment history an even larger percentage of your score so it would reflect their practices (although, to be honest, I really don't get what they deem important in payment history either, but that's another story lol)

Edit: To be fair though, you're also very correct, my Equifax score summer 2017 was 550, so seeing it approach 700 recently made me a little thirsty to apply, especially when you see all of the approvals on here lol. I'm basically already at 1yr without a missed payment, so really I should just garden for a year and make the rounds again...I'm pretty sure what I'm going to end up doing is going for a card or two in Feb or March (especially now that I'm in with Chase; suddenly I'm getting pre-approved offers from Chase), and THEN gardening for a year though haha

Honestly, I only went for the PenFed card bc of the high CL I've seen for others on here, I don't really have a need for the card or anything else they offer at the moment, so I'm not even sure if I'll swing back around to PenFed in a year Smiley LOL

Message 7 of 17
difringe
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@difringe wrote:

I wouldn't give up on them just yet. You need to allow the missed payments to fade before attempting to obtain a loan of any kind with them or any other lender.

I replied to this and it disappeared lol

After being on the board for a bit, I'm also surprised I got the Chase card lol.  My Equifax was 550 last summer, so when I saw it approaching 700, that, combined with the approvals I've seen on here, made me thirsty to get a couple more cards...

You're 10000% right that I really should just wait, but you know how it goes with that itch...what I'll probably do is app for another card or two in Feb/Mar (now that I'm in with Chase, I'm suddenly seeing the pre-approved offers that I sought before joining Chase lol) and then garden for a year or so before rounding out my card portfolio.

I do wonder what the point of a credit score is if they're going to see the score, then look at one portion of said score, and ding you disproportionately though. I've got a decently long credit history for someone my age, multiple accounts that are all current, low utilization even though I use a lot before paying it off, and very few inquiries (untili this recent rash of inquiries, all I've had are employers/utility companies/property management pulling my credit)

I'd rather they increased the percentage from 35% to like 50% if it's that much more important, that way my score would just be lower and I wouldn't expect approvals lol. Not to mention, I don't 100% get what they deem as important w/r/t Payment History.

Regarding PenFed, I only apped bc of the high SL I've seen on here for others (was thinking it'd be a quick way to boost my utilization even higher and show that I can handle more credit for when I app'd for other cards).  I don't really need any of the products they offer, so if I try again in Feb/Mar and don't get the card, I'm thinking I'm not going to swing back around in a year, there will be plenty of other cards I can get and actually use.

Message 8 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@difringe wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@difringe wrote:

After being on the board for a bit, I'm also surprised I got the Chase card lol.  My Equifax was 550 last summer, so when I saw it approaching 700, that, combined with the approvals I've seen on here, made me thirsty to get a couple more cards...

You're 10000% right that I really should just wait, but you know how it goes with that itch...what I'll probably do is app for another card or two in Feb/Mar (now that I'm in with Chase, I'm suddenly seeing the pre-approved offers that I sought before joining Chase lol) and then garden for a year or so before rounding out my card portfolio.

I do wonder what the point of a credit score is if they're going to see the score, then look at one portion of said score, and ding you disproportionately though. I've got a decently long credit history for someone my age, multiple accounts that are all current, low utilization even though I use a lot before paying it off, and very few inquiries (untili this recent rash of inquiries, all I've had are employers/utility companies/property management pulling my credit)

I'd rather they increased the percentage from 35% to like 50% if it's that much more important, that way my score would just be lower and I wouldn't expect approvals lol. Not to mention, I don't 100% get what they deem as important w/r/t Payment History.

Regarding PenFed, I only apped bc of the high SL I've seen on here for others (was thinking it'd be a quick way to boost my utilization even higher and show that I can handle more credit for when I app'd for other cards).  I don't really need any of the products they offer, so if I try again in Feb/Mar and don't get the card, I'm thinking I'm not going to swing back around in a year, there will be plenty of other cards I can get and actually use.

I wondered what happened to the last reply. I was in the middle of responding, when it disappeared. lol

That my friend is the mistake many make on this forum, including myself at one time or another.

We assume the score is what allows one to get that honey. The score isn't the "Bee's Knee's"  in obtaining an approval IME.

It's truly the overall credit profile. Does this person have a mortgage? Does this person have an auto loan? How does his or her auto loan payments compare to their other monthly expenses? Do they have relationships with other banks? How long have they had them?

The way the algorithms are written for different banks, plays a huge part in what you can get out of them. You can have what some consider a perfect profile ( 3 revolvers, 1 installment loan, high income, 0 inqs in 2 years). If it doesn't pass that algorithms sniff test, you'll still be denied.😂

I'd suggest not trying Penfed for at least 18 months after the lates occurred. They're still going to hold it against you for several years.

Message 9 of 17
difringe
Established Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

@difringe wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

@difringe wrote:

I wondered what happened to the last reply. I was in the middle of responding, when it disappeared. lol

That my friend is the mistake many make on this forum, including myself at one time or another.

We assume the score is what allows one to get that honey. The score isn't the "Bee's Knee's"  in obtaining an approval IME.

It's truly the overall credit profile. Does this person have a mortgage? Does this person have an auto loan? How does his or her auto loan payments compare to their other monthly expenses? Do they have relationships with other banks? How long have they had them?

The way the algorithms are written for different banks, plays a huge part in what you can get out of them. You can have what some consider a perfect profile ( 3 revolvers, 1 installment loan, high income, 0 inqs in 2 years). If it doesn't pass that algorithms sniff test, you'll still be denied.😂

I'd suggest not trying Penfed for at least 18 months after the lates occurred. They're still going to hold it against you for several years.

Yea, I have no idea what happened with my initial reply hahaha. I will say that this denial makes me appreciate that I'm in with Chase more than I initially did.

I appreciate this reply, btw. One of the problems with something like a credit score is that you lose sight of the fact that everyone's profile is different; to your point, the score itself isn't the be-all, end-all, but obviously it is a nice initial filter.  I'm really new to this forum (and to the credit rebuilding game in general), only been here for like a month, but there are so many things I've learned and I look forward to learning more!

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.