cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Preapprovals in the mail ... are they generally good?

tag
hmxhmx
Valued Member

Penfed Preapprovals in the mail ... are they generally good?

I received one in today's mail for their Power Cash Rewards card. No prior experience with Penfed (positive or negative) ... had planned to be in the garden but getting this makes me (perhaps) reconsider that ... Chapter 13 closed two years ago (one year early), good experiences with existing cards (all PIF, no lates) ... 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Penfed Preapprovals in the mail ... are they generally good?

If your DTI, income, and overall profile is pretty strong, sure. The BK could be iffy even after a couple years of rebuilding. How many accounts and/or inquiries in the past 6-12 months?

The results on these mailers (with or without PenFed relationship) have been mixed at best, so YEMV.
Message 2 of 15
hmxhmx
Valued Member

according to creditwise, four inquiries and eight new accounts in the past two years. cards and accts listed in the signature. 

Message 3 of 15
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Good luck on what you decide

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

The PCR is a hot card right now.  I got mine recently.  On the other hand, I too got an email today advertising this card.  It wasn't a pre-approval.  More like an offering for members.  The hate for Penfed around here seems to be at a time when they acquired a financially struggling CU and were tight with their lending.

8 new accounts is a lot but no one really knows what the outcome will be.

Message 5 of 15
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@hmxhmx wrote:

according to creditwise, four inquiries and eight new accounts in the past two years. cards and accts listed in the signature. 

How many new accts. in the last 6 Months and what is your Equifax FICO score like?

Also, how much Util on you cards?

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

They only use Equifax FICO 9 and they sent me a letter too and then shot me down. One day I might crack the PenFed code if I keep my account open with them.

Message 7 of 15
hmxhmx
Valued Member

this is, explicitly, a pre-approval . . . and it's not an offering for members since I've never been a member. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pull the trigger, I wish I could get a PCR.

Message 9 of 15
nuohlac
Valued Contributor

Good luck

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.