Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed app

tag
tbea1004
Frequent Contributor

Penfed app

Applied for Penfed card mid December and was not approved because of thin file and short history. Credit file has approved some at this point. If I reapply now will they do a new hard pull or use the same hard from when I became a member? Its only been a little over 60 days.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rbentley
Established Contributor

Re: Penfed app

If it was "thin" 60 days ago it will still be considered thin this soon, no matter how many other accounts you have added this soon.  Give it at least 6 months.

Message 2 of 7
xaximus
Valued Contributor

I believe it's still too early to apply. Have you already opened an account with them (savings/debit), if so, I would continue using it (deposit money) and give it a few months. A thin profile doesn't improve that quickly. As @rbentley stated - give it 6 months.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 7
kugel
Valued Contributor

How thin is your file ?
How long is the credit History? And what’s score
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed can be a tough nut to crack on certain profiles. I have had account(s) since 2013 with them and just recently they finally opened up to me on credit with a powercash @ 1500. My score is in the 660-690 range and i have way, way more accounts now than previously when applying. Previously it seemed like the main reason was my BK in 2012. I estimate i tried annually for a credit product from them.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbea1004 wrote:

Applied for Penfed card mid December and was not approved because of thin file and short history. Credit file has approved some at this point. If I reapply now will they do a new hard pull or use the same hard from when I became a member? Its only been a little over 60 days.

Definitely too soon - and yes, it will be a new hard pull. Wait 6 months and don't waste that hard pull. 

Message 6 of 7
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Even in 6 months be careful and thoughtful. If you have alot of credit or been seeking , can be a huge factor. Also be mindful of your income. Penfed prefers you have alot, imo. Not the most member
pleasing CU imo.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.