Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed denial.....I'm stumped

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed denial.....I'm stumped

Mid April I applied for the Penfed platinum rewards card and a line of credit.  I was approved for the cc with a $5000 SL.  I was conditionally approved for a LOC for $15,000 pending income verification.  They requested my past 2 months check stubs which I provided, then they requested my W2s for the past 2 years. I provided then with a mix of W2s and 1099s.  I was shocked when I logged in today today to find out I was denied stating they could not verify my income.  I work as an independent contractor and make over $300,000 yearly.  When I called to recon the CSR stated that two loan officers reviewed my documents and they could not approve me because of temporary income.  

Does Penfed have issue with contract work?  

What should I do at this point?

I'm not sure why they didn't approve me? 

Has anyone else had this problem with Penfed?

I have consistent income over the past two years as indicated by my W2/1099s. 

Please help.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed denial.....I'm stumped

Perhaps someone else who is with PenFed can answer the part of the question that is specific to PenFed.

However, you did not give them what they asked for and they would then be within their rights to deny you. Is there a reason you did not provide what they wanted? 

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Perhaps someone else who is with PenFed can answer the part of the question that is specific to PenFed.

However, you did not give them what they asked for and they would then be within their rights to deny you. Is there a reason you did not provide what they wanted? 

As stated above, I'm a contract worker and I don't get W2s.  Most often I recieve 1099s.  That's what I gave them. If there are any other contract workers or self employed please chime in. 

Message 3 of 24
BeingMaryJane
Contributor

Maybe send an email to recon and attach the 1099 documentation again? Being a contractor I don't know what else they could possibly want. Maybe you didn't get a savvy rep the first time. Penfed is a gamble sometimes. They leave me stumped too. 

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call them back and offer to provide copies of your tax returns. That should take care of it.

Message 5 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As stated above, I'm a contract worker and I don't get W2s.  Most often I recieve 1099s.  That's what I gave them. If there are any other contract workers or self employed please chime in. 

You mentioned you gave them a "mix" of W-2's and 1099's. I can see where they may think that contract work was not guaranteed, when they asked only for W-2's and received a number of different items.

Providing them a "mix" different from what they requested most likely looked inconsistent to them. Lots of different contract jobs may not have looked to be guaranteed income to them. Fair or not fair, that is my estimation of what may have happened.

Message 6 of 24
Officer737
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call them back and offer to provide copies of your tax returns. That should take care of it.

I agree with Captool or tax transcripts may work also. This is what is actually gets filed on the taxes. 

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, maybe they disregard 1099s. i didn't really need the line of credit just thought i would just maximize my credit pull.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This.

Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will offer to send copies of my tax return. It's worth a try.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.