cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People around here have cooled off on Comenity cards?

tag
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: People around here have cooled off on Comenity cards?

Buy a cheap fake diamond ring for $200. Go to the family get together. Unless she has  jeweler in the family or her ring finger turns blue, no one will know. Then get the real ring when you afford it on your timetable. Just be sure GF knows what you are doing

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 11 of 25
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Is there any reason not to consider a major card with a nice 0% intro offer? The OP has two major cards with good limits. I think that may position him for options that would be useful both now and in the future.

That's actually a much better idea.. 

@cosmokramer- you should try PenFed or NFCU.

I recently joined PenFed & got a card with a $10,000 SL, the same day. It's an excellent CU. 

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fake ring!??? Really????

Bad all the way around. Besides, how does he surprise he by saying " Hey honey, you know how much I love you. I want to spend my life with you and want to ask the big question when your family is here, but want you to know in advance the ring will be a fako until I can buy a real deal this fall." Takes the specialness right out of it.

Go with one of the major cards like another poster suggested.

And CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ring Pop.jpg

This should suffice.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Is there any reason not to consider a major card with a nice 0% intro offer? The OP has two major cards with good limits. I think that may position him for options that would be useful both now and in the future.

I recently joined PenFed & got a card with a $10,000 SL, the same day. It's an excellent CU. 

While I agree that a "major card" is usually the best way to go, there are times when a store card DOES serve its purpose.

Case in point: I recently got a 20% discount on a $10,000.00 purchase with a Synchrony store card...again, hard to beat!

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd say think twice before spending THAT much money on a ring....it's just a piece of jewelry. Are you going to tell her family how much it cost to impress them? Are you going to tell her how much it cost? I really doubt that they'd be able to tell just by looking at it, how many thousands of dollars you spent...In the end....you could get something much cheaper which serves the same purpose. Not trying to burst your bubble, it's just a thought that I had to put out there. Save that money for other things! 

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the shopping cart trick works on Blue Nile just put the ring you want to buy in your shopping cart and when you check out it will pop-up.  I was able to get 3500 starting limit from Pottery Barn putting in a Dining room set in the cart.  

Congrats on your engagement!! I got my wife's ring at James Allen and you definitely get higher quality diamonds for less money shopping online. My wife is always getting compliments on her ring. 

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. Also considered this, but was worried about the initial limit. I'll look into it.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pikaboo-icu wrote:

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I'm not sure if I can join either of those. My brother was in the Air Force, but he doesn't have an account with either, so I'd have to get him to join so that I can, right?

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd say think twice before spending THAT much money on a ring....it's just a piece of jewelry. Are you going to tell her family how much it cost to impress them? Are you going to tell her how much it cost? I really doubt that they'd be able to tell just by looking at it, how many thousands of dollars you spent...In the end....you could get something much cheaper which serves the same purpose. Not trying to burst your bubble, it's just a thought that I had to put out there. Save that money for other things! 

Yeah, that's a fair point and I figured I'd hear it in these responses. It's actually even more though haha, that's just the part I need to finance short term.

The reality is that I have a pretty decent job, and she has a really great job, and we're both still relatively young. She's a phenomenal investor/saver, and I was pretty awful until I met her, but she's taught me the value of living below our means for the sake of our future. To that end, I think we're going to be fine on savings and income in our lives. We don't waste money on fancy cars or lots of clothes or other short-term things. We bought a nice house, we take a nice trip every year, and we decided this is another of those very few things that we'd like to make an exception for.

I do appreciate the advice, and I do think it is sound, but we're (entirely because of her influence haha) pretty responsible and well-positioned. I want to do this for her.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.