Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal Amex through corporate card, part 2

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Personal Amex through corporate card, part 2

OP did you get any HP notice for either of these apps?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 49
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Yes, for the first one that was denied.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 12 of 49
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I may be ignorant on this but i just dont see having a Corporate Amex card translating to being able to get a personal Amex just because as there seems to be a world of difference in the two, ie different underwriting, one's business that might have people with it who cant qualify for a personsl one maybe because their personal credit is a mess but because its under corporate are given access , while other is more based on an indivuals credit worthiness. Data points for someone is always good, so more power to yaSmiley Happy
Message 13 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I may be ignorant on this but i just dont see having a Corporate Amex card translating to being able to get a personal Amex just because as there seems to be a world of difference in the two, ie different underwriting, one's business that might have people with it who cant qualify for a personsl one maybe because their personal credit is a mess but because its under corporate are given access , while other is more based on an indivuals credit worthiness. Data points for someone is always good, so more power to yaSmiley Happy

Think of it this way.  If someone has a corp card then Amex basically knows the income of the person through the employer.  It's like a reverse 4506-T POI request when coming at Amex from the Personal side.  

Now, when you leave the employer you forfeit the AF Credit that's part of the program but, you keep the card.  

Message 14 of 49
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I did not just decide "hey, I have a corporate Amex, I bet they will give me a personal Amex for that reason," that is a widely held theory. This thread is called "part 2" because somebody else created a thread based on the same concept. I am interested in helping prove or disprove it. I would prefer, for my own sake, if it's true, but if it's not true, that ok also. It's just good info for the future.

As for reasons why Amex would do it (if indeed they do): keep corporate customers happy? "I know where you work" in case of defaults? Assumption that a corporation issuing you a card means that some large entity trusts you? Bug in the system where it treats you as an existing customer for purposes of applications? Don't know, can only speculate, if it's true at all.

But again: I am in an unusual situation in which my account age is basically non-existent, and I am buried in hard inquiries, and have nothing I want to apply for until next year aside from this particular card, and I have no accounts that are really susceptible to adverse actions, so applying won't hurt anything even if the theory is wrong.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Message 15 of 49
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Aren't the Exclusive Personal Card Offers via CAP explicitly phrased as offers to apply?  That's my recollection. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 16 of 49
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Yes, they are not described as any sort of guarantee, preapproval, or prequalification. They are simply labeled "welcome offer" with an Apply button.

But, multiple people have reported that anecdotally, it's a guaranteed or virtually guaranteed approval. That is what I am testing. As an example, someone said that his friend's daughter had a completely blank credit profile, but had her choice of Amex cards as soon as she got her corporate card, picked one, and was approved. I don't remember which, BCE or BCP I think, but she could have chosen Gold if she'd wanted. However, that is not first-hand info from a board member, and something may have been lost in translation. My profile represents someone who would not normally be approved for an Amex, but, not someone who would scare away even bottom-feeding lenders. If it's a virtually guaranteed approval, that would most likely mean I'd be approved, which would mean I'd get my card, and the community would get a strong data point.

The OP of the "part 1" version of this thread got approved, though his profile is better than mine, and I think he might have been approved with no corporate card brownie points (not sure).

If anyone wondering "where does this idea come from?" or "why is he doing this?" could read the prior posts first, that would be helpful so the thread isn't cluttered with multiple similar explanations. Thanks!

Message 17 of 49
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I called Amex. The gentleman I spoke with didn't have any useful info for me. He gave me this number to call tomorrow: 888-800-7325. Per him, it is some kind of corporate Amex group that is open pretty much business hours. Will try tomorrow and post if they tell me anything interesting.

Message 18 of 49
NRB525
Super Contributor

AJC, this is definitely a Thing. AMEX figures the employer thinks enough of the employee to hire them and issue a travel card. AMEX, with their spend tracking algorithm is willing to take a chance on a potential long term customer who comes with references. And, to entice the employee, give them ( me ) a discount on the AF.

Now, from this OP experience there may be a combination needed, employer reference and credit bureau, but that will be clarified when OP calls for more info.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 49
tbque
Valued Contributor

Wishing the OP of the second thread much luck!

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.