Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting my next application

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Plotting my next application

I posted this topic in the Garden Club but it was politely suggested I move it to the regular forums .  I know everyone's situation is variable including which specific cards someone plans to app, but (in general) ...  how long would you garden with my stats below, that will be effective as of 12/01/2020? 

Historically (until the past couple of years), I've probably been much more conservative and overly cautious than I needed to be.  I've seen members with much more activity than I reported in 24 months below!  Still, I also realize that economic times might suggest waiting longer to add new cards would be a good decision.  I usually suggest to newer members with thinner profiles that a good rule of thumb is one new card/inquiry every six months, but obviously I don't always follow my own advice!  Lol Smiley Tongue

I've considered app'ing the US Bank Cash+ which I know would require a good bit more gardening.  I had considered applying for the Altitude Reserve later and this would be a foot-in-the-door.  On the other hand, there are some other cards with other lenders that are much less sensitive to new accounts, like perhaps another AMEX or Navy FCU card.  The main reason for the Cash+ would be for the home utilities category, but I'm not sure the incremental value over my existing cards is enough to bother with that one anyway. (I can earn 3% on my AOD FCU Visa.)  And USB is not in my geographic area, so I'll never have any banking with them.   While AR is a great card, I'm probably better-served to focus on my Chase Sapphire Reserve combined with my AOD FCU Visa, which gives me great travel rewards while also the ability to earn 3% on everything like you can with AR's mobile wallet.

There's also some great travel SUBs out there right now and I wonder how long they will be around.  Some hotel cards like Marriott and Hilton have sweetened their deal and I'm seeing the approvals for that awesome new AMEX Platinum SUB, even though that's a card I don't imagine justifying for the long haul. 

I don't need to worry about 5/24 for Chase since I front-loaded with Chase in 2018-2019 when I was 0/24.  And I have plenty of cards with them already.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!  Smiley Happy

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

My last new account was three months ago on 08/15/2020.

New Accounts:

3/6,  4/12,  12/24* (*counting one AU account)

*Yes, 2019 was a busy year for @Aim_High Lol Smiley Tongue

In April, I'll be down to 0/6, 3/12, 10/24.  Most of those ten will be aging off before the end of 2021, so April was when I thought I should wait to be more careful.  Now I'm wondering if that is needed.  

Scorable Inquiries (last 12 months):

EQ: 2

EX: 4

TU: 1

Total Inquiries (last 24 months):

EQ: 4

EX: 8

TU: 3

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plotting my next application

First off, I wasn't sure there was a major out there that you didn't have now or at one point lol. Being real, with the exception of the ultra-conservative US Bank, I would think with your profile overall, you can pretty much write your own ticket for whatever card(s) you feel you want. I really do think it's that simple.

Message 2 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First off, I wasn't sure there was a major out there that you didn't have now or at one point lol. Being real, with the exception of the ultra-conservative US Bank, I would think with your profile overall, you can pretty much write your own ticket for whatever card(s) you feel you want. I really do think it's that simple.

Thanks for the kind words, @Anonymous.   Yes, I'm in a diversifying stage where I'm eying cards with different major lenders, partly for rewards and SUBs and partly to grow my overall limits.  My huge 2019 year-long app spree led to my first denials in decades earlier this year (my first app for AMEX Gold before my approval and also one for my second Navy FCU card)  so I knew it was time to cool it for awhile.  It's just a matter of how long?   With my long credit history and high scores, those denials kind-of surprised me after I saw some members apply for much more credit and still be approved!   I do think COVID is partly to blame.  November will see four more "new accounts" go past the 12 month point, though.  (Two of those were Discover IT Miles with the effective 3% in year one, one that I was approved for only $1K and closed due to low limit and another that DW was approved for and added me as AU.)  So while I had thought of sitting out until April after my 4/12 drops to 3/12, I'm also thinking that Dec/Jan may be good enough to get approved for my next card.  Unfortunately, the card I want most right now (AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant) has an enhanced SUB that I don't qualify for until May 2021 since I got the SUB on the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless within 24 months prior.  And that higher SUB expires in January. 

Business Cards

Message 3 of 28
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Putting your feelers back out there, I like it!  Well there's isn't really any advice I could offer, I'm still kind of new to the credit game. I should be asking you for advice. Lol

Although I would be interested to see you take another shot at NFCU. I still don't understand that. With your immaculate profile that should be a no-brainer for them.

I certainly wish you luck with what you decide!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 4 of 28
JNA1
Valued Contributor

IDK know how much help I can be to you, because I'm kind of in the same boat. Like you, I really want to get the USB Cash+ for utilities, but it will be June before I'm back to 1/12. I'm a week away from being 91/3 with NFCU, but I'll probaby hold up off applying for my 2nd card. I want the Flagship at some point for the $500 SUB if it comes back (which usually comes in March) but I also want the 5.99% NFCU Platinum card (in case I need to actually finance something with a credit card). 

At some point I want the Chase Flex, but realistically it will be another year before I'll be under 5/24. This also makes me want to garden for most of next year and try to pick up the Cash + in June and then the Flex in November of 2021. 

If I do that, I feel like I could get the 2 NFCU cards and Synovus Travel card I want at any point after that. 

My plan for now is to garden and wait on the Cash + next year, unless a new FOTM or some kind of SUB comes along that I can't resist. That was my plan this year as well, but the AOD card coming along and the targeted $400 SUB on the NFCU More Rewards card snatched me right out of the garden! Smiley Happy

Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 5 of 28
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Is there a specific gap in a category type that you want to fill other than utilities, or is there a vanity card you would be interested in having simply because you want to have it?

As a couple of offbeat flyers outside of the usual suspects I would toss out the US Alliance Visa Signature as an alternative 3% card in hand if AOD nerfs their card or, if you ever expect to fly on Star Alliance metal at some point, the Avianca Vuela. That's another card with potentially generous SL and I have a DP if you search in Approvals.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 6 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Putting your feelers back out there, I like it!  Well there's isn't really any advice I could offer, I'm still kind of new to the credit game. I should be asking you for advice. Lol   Although I would be interested to see you take another shot at NFCU. I still don't understand that. With your immaculate profile that should be a no-brainer for them.  I certainly wish you luck with what you decide!

Thanks, @Mr_Mojo_Risin!  I think the Navy FCU denial was for a few factors.  First, I did have a LOT of new accounts in the previous 12-24 months.  Second, obviously the covid pandemic has tightened up lending all over.  Third, I joined by opening accounts with them in Oct 2019 so my membership was under one year.  For them, that's still pretty new.  I've seen that they definitely loosen up as membership matures and it seems that one year is a big milestone with them.   Third, they had just given me an $8K CLI on my Platinum since I felt safe asking for that before asking for a new card.  (In hindsight, I remember all the advice on the forums to app for a new card with Navy before a CLI if you think you may not get both.)  Fourth, I hit the CLI increase button out of curiosity and they gave me a 'covid' courtesy $500 CLI only two months after my $8K.  Smiley Frustrated   That may have essentially dried my options with them or made them think I was needy.  Fifth, I didn't put any spending on the Platinum card since I got it to have for emergencies and balance transfers.  I did put a large BT on it and paid it off, but they hadn't seen a lot of monthly spend-and-pay. Any or all of these probably combined to override my high credit score and high income.   

At any rate, it was probably the wake up call I needed to slow down for a few months.  My second card with Navy and/or another CLI with them in the next few months is high on my priorities. 

Business Cards

Message 7 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

IDK know how much help I can be to you, because I'm kind of in the same boat. Like you, I really want to get the USB Cash+ for utilities, but it will be June before I'm back to 1/12. I'm a week away from being 91/3 with NFCU, but I'll probaby hold up off applying for my 2nd card. I want the Flagship at some point for the $500 SUB if it comes back (which usually comes in March) but I also want the 5.99% NFCU Platinum card (in case I need to actually finance something with a credit card). 

At some point I want the Chase Flex, but realistically it will be another year before I'll be under 5/24. This also makes me want to garden for most of next year and try to pick up the Cash + in June and then the Flex in November of 2021. 

If I do that, I feel like I could get the 2 NFCU cards and Synovus Travel card I want at any point after that. 

My plan for now is to garden and wait on the Cash + next year, unless a new FOTM or some kind of SUB comes along that I can't resist. That was my plan this year as well, but the AOD card coming along and the targeted $400 SUB on the NFCU More Rewards card snatched me right out of the garden! Smiley Happy

Sounds like gardening for the US Bank is a good plan for you, @JNA1, although it appears to me you have a very respectable set of cash back cards already!   Not only do you have the AOD 3% but also a backup 2% everything card (PayPal), and some great category cards that pay 3% to 5% like Discover IT, AMEX BCP, BBVA ClearPoints, PNC Cash Rewards, and your NFCU More Rewards AMEX!  Very nice package.  Smiley Happy

I looked at the difference in getting 3% on AOD versus 5% on US Bank Cash+.  The 5% categories are capped at $2K quarterly or $8K annually.  The 2% difference (if you were able to fully exploit it) works out to $160 per year between getting either 3% or 5% of the full $8K.  In my case, I think it would be even less than $100.  My water utility charges a credit card processing fee and I don't think my other utilities (electric/gas in a fairly efficient house) come close to $666 average per month, so I'd be earning an additional 2% of a much lesser amount.  I already have some of the other 5% categories covered like cell phone providers and cable/internet (both earning 5% CB on my Chase INK Cash which redeems for 7.5% on UR travel on my CSR portal.)   The other categories like department stores or home furnishings are sporadic-spend categories so my mileage would vary.  All-in-all, it looks like the classic case of diminishing rewards with the dilemma of how much more complexity do you want to add to your lineup for a marginal return?    I'll continue to look at it, but right now I can't see gardening for a year to get the Cash Plus.  There are too many other card options for me that would be more useful or pay higher SUBs.   Maybe one day, I'll put US Bank in my sights again.

Instead, I'm focused a little more on Wells Fargo.  I accepted a preapproval for Cash Wise in July. They have physical branches in my area, unlike USB.  I also have a lengthy banking relationship with them on joint accounts with my daughters.  And, I have two prior WF co-branded or store cards, both now closed. (Dillard's and Basset Furniture)  I was approved for $10.5K limit on the Cash Wise, even after the other recent new accounts and around the same time as AMEX and Navy FCU gave me denials!  And Wells Fargo is known as a "conservative lender!!"  Lol.   My longer term plan is to lay the foundation for a Propel approval and perhaps see if I can combine the CL from the CW with it.  (My understanding is that WF limits SUBs to 1x every 15 months, so I'd need to wait until 10/2021 to get the a Propel SUB.)  Or there is the possibility of building the Wells Fargo "Trifecta."  (Cash Wise, Propel, and Visa Signature all earn Go Far Rewards which can be redeemed on the Visa Signature for 50% bonus in airfare redemptions.) 

Business Cards

Message 8 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Is there a specific gap in a category type that you want to fill other than utilities, or is there a vanity card you would be interested in having simply because you want to have it?

As a couple of offbeat flyers outside of the usual suspects I would toss out the US Alliance Visa Signature as an alternative 3% card in hand if AOD nerfs their card or, if you ever expect to fly on Star Alliance metal at some point, the Avianca Vuela. That's another card with potentially generous SL and I have a DP if you search in Approvals.

Thanks for those prompts and suggestions, @coldfusion.  My backup cash back to the AOD FCU 3% Visa is my BofA Premium Rewards with "Platinum Honors" status in Preferred Rewards, so I'd get 2.625% back which is pretty close to the 3%.  The Premium Rewards was to be my end-game for high rate cash back until the AOD came along unexpectedly, and it's still my valuable backup.  I feel like even if there are eventual nerfs to AOD, the PR should be much more stable for the long term.   

I don't buy a lot of airfare so I've shyed away from airline-specific cards. However, I'll keep that Aviaca card in mind.

The two hotel-branded cards most in my sights are the AMEX Hilton Surpass and AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant, both with very good SUBs right now!  Also, I'm interested in broadening my Navy FCU relationship with cards number two and/or three.   Or perhaps a BBVA Clearpoints, for which I currently have a $12K preapproval (was up to $15K in the spring.)   In the fall of 2021, I might try for the Wells Fargo Propel I mentioned above. 

I seem to be in a narrowing market for cash back cards.  Most don't do much for me now incrementally with the other card options I hold.  Which begs a question I had for you on your Andrews FCU Titanium approval.  Does it fill a niche for you, did you get it for the SUB, or was it just a higher-limit card you didn't have yet to add to your collection?  I like that card, yet it seems to offer limited long term rewards for those who already have an extensive card lineup.  Just curious to hear your perspective.

Business Cards

Message 9 of 28
PullingMeSoftly
Valued Contributor

@Aim_High I believe you were in the process of moving your assets over to BoA (you're Platinum Honors right?) With the predominantly cash back setup you have (your new Amex gold and Chase CSR aside), have you thought about going all out on BoA Cash Rewards cards? With 6 categories you can cover at 5.25%, how about going for all of the different flavors? Since you already have one, add 5 more slowly and steadily, and combine with your also recently acquired Premium Rewards. Also $200 sub per pop, not too bad in sum total.

That's essentially the setup I'd want to have if I move my Fidelity roth over to Merrill. I'm also gardening with the singular purpose of being 0/12 in May and going for the Nusenda platinum cash rewards and USB Cash+ (which I sacrificed for a PC to the GO), so I'm going all in for a rotator setup (Nusenda, Disco, Affinity, Freedom, Cash+). If I was Platinum Honors though I'd be knocking down those cash rewards cards.

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.