Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre qualified for amex. should I go for it or wait

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre qualified for amex. should I go for it or wait

So right now I'm in the garden..
But when I think about it I may just get my first revolver from amex.
Doesn't it make sense to get the card now since amex often does 3x cli?
I guess I could wait 9-12 months and get a higher sl but I'm thinking if I got the card now it would grow to at least the limit they would give me in 9 months. (With 2 cli first one 3 months next 6 months later.) I know you only get sign up bonus once but they are offering me 200 cash back. for bce. I've never been a sub chaser but even if it covers one spend category like gas (in July when disco changes quarter's) why not add it to my lineup now?
I figure Amex is my only sure bank that will approve me rn. Since I just opened 2 cc last month. (1 was 2nd disco)Plus no hp. I won't be applying for anything else for at least a year. I have 10 accounts open 6 over a year ago. So my aaoa will take a 1 month hit.. (9 months to 8).
So my plan would be get the bce. I would go for bcp but have the gold card so I don't need another af.
I know the goal is to age my account but I figure why not let the new accounts age together like i did last year. Good idea or bad?
Sorry for length of post
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Pre qualified for amex. should I go for it or wait

Have you checked the prequals? I would think you’d be approved, but like you said yourself, the SL may not be stellar. But if you’re okay with that anyway, go for it. Get that SUB and then hit the garden lol. Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go for it and take the free $$$

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im learning that pre-qual isnt all its cracked up to be....I would apply if you rreally need, if not stay in the garden 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So right now I'm in the garden..
But when I think about it I may just get my first revolver from amex.
Doesn't it make sense to get the card now since amex often does 3x cli?
I guess I could wait 9-12 months and get a higher sl but I'm thinking if I got the card now it would grow to at least the limit they would give me in 9 months. (With 2 cli first one 3 months next 6 months later.) I know you only get sign up bonus once but they are offering me 200 cash back. for bce. I've never been a sub chaser but even if it covers one spend category like gas (in July when disco changes quarter's) why not add it to my lineup now?
I figure Amex is my only sure bank that will approve me rn. Since I just opened 2 cc last month. (1 was 2nd disco)Plus no hp. I won't be applying for anything else for at least a year. I have 10 accounts open 6 over a year ago. So my aaoa will take a 1 month hit.. (9 months to 8).
So my plan would be get the bce. I would go for bcp but have the gold card so I don't need another af.
I know the goal is to age my account but I figure why not let the new accounts age together like i did last year. Good idea or bad?
Sorry for length of post

Have you checked the pre-quals? Do you know if you have any pre-qual offers? If so and if yes, and if you really want a new card, I'd say go for it. Amex Prequals are usually pretty solid... so if you apply you will almost certainly get it, unless you've burned Amex in the past. 

I was in the garden for 14 months and then got a pre-qual offer for the Amex Gold - promptly jumped on it with success. No regrets. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since you have an Amex card it’ll tell you if you’re preapproved.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the card a good fit for you and would help?

If its more of a nice to have rather than a I need it now  I would consider waiting. 

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all. And yes I do have the amex gold. And im pre qualified. I want it to cover my 2% gas when my disco becomes a year. I'll think about it and let you know what I choose to do. Thanks everyone
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you click on apply when you’re logged into your accounts, it will tell you if you’re preapproved. It’ll say dtk6802, you’re preapproved! if you are, otherwise it will say something about expanding your Amex family or something if you’re not.
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I am pre approved. Ty. I'm just concerned about my aaoa. Since I'll want a card from a different bank next year. But my thinking is if I get card now then it will help app process next year with maybe us bank. Or some card to cover a spend category I don't have.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.