Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prequalified application for credit card…not

tag
Gat
Established Member

Prequalified application for credit card…not

This is embarrassing... but maybe this post can help some one else..

i have a secured discover card...

on occasion I will get "check to see if you prequalified" offers from cc

today I check my email and there is a discover offer....I assumed it was a prequal offer because it wanted only the last 4 of my social.... wrong it turned out to be a regular app ... hard inquiry on Experian... and no ..,not approved... next time

read read read....

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Re: Prequalified application for credit card…not

@Gat wrote:

today I check my email and there is a discover offer....I assumed it was a prequal offer because it wanted only the last 4 of my social.... wrong it turned out to be a regular app ... hard inquiry on Experian... and no ..,not approved... next time

read read read....

You're not going to find any condemnation from me!  If it isn't read by my "seeing eye children", I probably would have made the same mistake.

On the plus side, inquiries are the smallest part of your FICO scores! 😁

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gat wrote:

read read read....

We have all fell for that trick at some point in our credit card seeking lifetime.   

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

No real harm in trying even if it doesn't work out, and on here, we don't credit-shame. Most of us have been there and done that. We're all here to help people improve their financial profiles and scores. Sometimes you just have to run one up the flagpole and see if anybody salutes it. It works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Not a defeat, just take what the letter says as what to work on for the next try Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Gat wrote:

read read read....

It happens , i think at the beginning of my Discover romance i wasted like 5 or 6 hps before they accepted me, this after receiving tons of mailers. Til this day have not received any mailers from anybody, period. Once you get it youll laugh at your experience. PromiseSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

I keep getting mailers from Discover and get all excited thinking it might be a pre-approval.

Nope... just trying to get me to buy their identity theft product!

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.