cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
LakeLife
Established Contributor

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

@CreditInspired wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

The recent Discover CLIs on the forum have been with people carrying a balance whether it be a BT or spend.  I think that's what it takes.  I'm at around 30% UTIL on my Discover with a BT and have been granted 2 CLIs in the past 6 months.  

Hmmmm, last month I was at 27% UT on my BT with Discover and denied a CLI. Reason: my outstanding balance was too high. I'll try again either later this month or next month and see what the reason will be at that time. Smiley Frustrated

As we always say here, YMMV... Smiley Tongue

Message 11 of 162
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

This makes me a bit nervous as I just asked for CLI a couple of days ago but was shot down. So I'm kinda dreading what the denial reason will be if I'll get the same message of little usage, I'm trying to get my 4800 limit over 5k.

I've had some form a balance for the past 18 months since I got the card on 11/17 with a 2000 sl. but paid 5-10x the amount. Within that time I'm probably had 2 small auto increases totaling $600. 4 denials & 3 small $300 requested approvals which I called in to get the rest & I've used @ the most about 70% of my limit but they was when the card was @ 2600 though (still didn't get an increase then btw)

Finally going to 0 out the card by the end of this month & I was thinking if I used close to 50% of limit on the resturants/paypal quarter they would hopefully grant me an increase in September. I really don't want to have to force spend on the card to try & get an increase since my bucketed cap 1 looking to be a PITA @ 1651 last increase was in march of $150. If I can't get it to @ least 2k by my next 6 month request in September I'll likely sock draw the card.
Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 12 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fated4Credit wrote:

hit the button monthly on Disco and every 6 months on Crap1

I'd say close Crap1 but, it's your only other card Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 162
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

@Obscure-Expert: That's why I plan to app for the PP 2% card in a few days my util is @ 9% with no derogs & scores in siggy are current. I figured I need a replacent card for cap 1 anyway.
Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 14 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous 

I hope you're right cuz we use the heck out of our cards, low limits and it's a pita making multiple pymts to control utl.%.  DH has had his since Jan. 2019, received 2 cli's (small amts. though this last one was triple the first one.)  If they will reward upon usage we will be sitting good hopefully over the course of a year and after that I don't care if we grow the cards any further than what we need to cover expenses while maintaining a healthy utl.% overall.

If you aren't receiving CLIs from Discover with your current spend/payment pattern, I'm not at all suggesting that you may start receiving more CLIs now.  My post is rather saying the opposite, that those that may have been receiving CLIs from Discover that keep their spend/payment pattern the same may stop receiving them.  It sounds like your behavior witht the account should warrant a CLI, but if for whatever reason there's something about your profile that Discover isn't liking they may continue to not provide you with a CLI.

Message 15 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I think your "proof" is a DP not suggesting that things have changed. 

I'm not quite sure how you can say that.  I don't know what changed, but something definitely changed.  My spend pattern has been the same for 3 years and I've seen 70+ denials with the same denial reason and now 1 denial with a different reason.  That to me means that something changed on their end.  How significant or insignificant it may be and quantifying it is probably next to impossible of course.  Even if it's a human being that with a few key strokes changed the "insufficient experience" statement to this new one and now everyone starts to see this new statement instead of the old one (but nothing changes with CLIs at all) it's still a change.

Message 16 of 162
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I just got $3000.00 today, first one since either September or October (I think it was September).
Minimal use from October to January. No use at all in the last 3-4 months.
Message 17 of 162
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@GApeachy wrote:

@Anonymous 

I hope you're right cuz we use the heck out of our cards, low limits and it's a pita making multiple pymts to control utl.%.  DH has had his since Jan. 2019, received 2 cli's (small amts. though this last one was triple the first one.)  If they will reward upon usage we will be sitting good hopefully over the course of a year and after that I don't care if we grow the cards any further than what we need to cover expenses while maintaining a healthy utl.% overall.

My post is rather saying the opposite, that those that may have been receiving CLIs from Discover that keep their spend/payment pattern the same may stop receiving them.

Yeah, I get that. And I'm hoping that our usage will get us enough "luv" in a relatively short time to make the cards more usable and less pampering needed. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 18 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
I just got $3000.00 today, first one since either September or October (I think it was September).
Minimal use from October to January. No use at all in the last 3-4 months.

Good info above.

I do find the final word in the denial reason, "month(s)" to be a bit curious.  I think the "s" definitely belongs there, as if it was considering just the previous month in your case no doubt $0 would not have been "enough" for a CLI.  So, if we're considering "months" then, who knows if they're talking 3, 6, heck maybe a year even averaged out or something.

Message 19 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think your "proof" is a DP not suggesting that things have changed. 

I'm not quite sure how you can say that.  I don't know what changed, but something definitely changed.  My spend pattern has been the same for 3 years and I've seen 70+ denials with the same denial reason and now 1 denial with a different reason.  That to me means that something changed on their end.  How significant or insignificant it may be and quantifying it is probably next to impossible of course.  Even if it's a human being that with a few key strokes changed the "insufficient experience" statement to this new one and now everyone starts to see this new statement instead of the old one (but nothing changes with CLIs at all) it's still a change.

I doubt that is the case.  Going form thousands per month to nothing and then something. 

Message 20 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.