cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

@Anonymous wrote:

I doubt that is the case.  Going form thousands per month to nothing and then something. 

I've never gone from thousands to nothing.  Hundreds to nothing sure, but not thousands.  But, that's actually irrelevant.  Say I spent $10k one month, then $0 the next then $10k the next etc. even a giant yo-yo pattern is still a pattern.  So, like I said, my pattern has not changed.  On a long enough time line it's all the same.  In addition to that, I have not had a zero-spend cycle in quite a few months.  With the gas quarter coming after the grocery quarter, if anything my spend in the last 6 months has been greater than it was the previous 6 months... so if I am getting a too little use message now I should have definitely seen it earlier.  But, that was before whatever just changed actually changed, which was the entire point of this thread. 

Message 21 of 162
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@rbentley wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know it's been speculated that Discover since late 2018 has been "tightening up" with respect to giving out CLIs.  People on this forum have referenced articles where this has been suggested, while also simply posting that CLIs seem to have felt more difficult to obtain.

I received my first piece of concrete proof though that something has indeed changed on their end.  As you all know, when you are denied a CLI from Discover you receive a denial letter in the mail and are provided with a denial reason.  "Insufficient experience with current Discover card credit limit" is the reason that is received seemingly 99% of the time.  In the case of my 70+ denial letters, it's the reason I've been given 100% of the time... until today. 

New thread suggestion.  The Saturation Technique: Best CLI Odds.  Smiley Happy

Haha, i get so lonely getting no mail for days, ive resorted to Hulk Smashing just to get me some Disco paper luvSmiley Sad. I mean, she cares right?🤔

Message 22 of 162
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@LakeLife wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@LakeLife wrote:

The recent Discover CLIs on the forum have been with people carrying a balance whether it be a BT or spend.  I think that's what it takes.  I'm at around 30% UTIL on my Discover with a BT and have been granted 2 CLIs in the past 6 months.  

Hmmmm, last month I was at 27% UT on my BT with Discover and denied a CLI. Reason: my outstanding balance was too high. I'll try again either later this month or next month and see what the reason will be at that time. Smiley Frustrated

As we always say here, YMMV... Smiley Tongue

No, it should be HSITSmiley Happy  HULK SMASH IT!!!🤑

Message 23 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

New thread suggestion.  The Saturation Technique: Best CLI Odds.  Smiley Happy

Haha, i get so lonely getting no mail for days, ive resorted to Hulk Smashing just to get me some Disco paper luvSmiley Sad. I mean, she cares right?🤔

I get that.  Back in the days of my Saturation Technique Prime I was getting easily 1-2 response letters per day.  Ever since that ended and my credit scores got high enough to not be targeted for CC offers, Discover denials are almost all I get in the mail that's credit-related.  Every once in a while I get a targeted mailing from Cap One or BoA to open a checking account or something, but nothing CC related.

Message 24 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m at the 3rd cut statement for my discover and I applied for a cli, got the 7-10 day letter, I received the letter and all it said was credit score too low, but yet I was just approved for 2 Amex cards and a BoA cash rewards card last week, Amex cards was $1k a piece, BoA was approved for $2500, scores are Eq-664, Ex-670, TU-667, I had a score change today over the inquiries but yet says low score, weird!!
Message 25 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I’m at the 3rd cut statement for my discover and I applied for a cli, got the 7-10 day letter, I received the letter and all it said was credit score too low, but yet I was just approved for 2 Amex cards and a BoA cash rewards card last week, Amex cards was $1k a piece, BoA was approved for $2500, scores are Eq-664, Ex-670, TU-667, I had a score change today over the inquiries but yet says low score, weird!!

Keep in mind that Discover is looking at your TU Fico 8 score on your account when making account-related decisions.  That gets updated once per month.  Anything that changes during that month such as score increases due to inquiries falling off won't be considered by Discover until their next monthly pull.  This is one of the reasons that many people wait for their score to update before requesting a Discover CLI.

Message 26 of 162
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Back when I first picked up Discover, I was out to maximize the 2%/10% and put about $40K through them that year. CLI's came in large numbers and I even got a letter stating they were raising my limit $6700 (IIRC) towards the end. After just a year I went from $5500 to $18,700. Once I started getting into the UR system, spend on Discover dwindled, but I still manage a $500 CLI here and there with just my auto insurance going through monthly. (~$350... I have a teenager on there Smiley Frustrated ) I might try giving them some more love after I finish hitting the SUB for Savor and the new BCP upgrade to see if I can nudge the vault open a little more.

Message 27 of 162
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Maybe i should start opening my letters again lolSmiley Wink. No checks on the horizon so i just shredd and beg babySmiley Happy maybe im getting different reasons too ....oopsieSmiley Wink
Message 28 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Could be that the're just picking reasons out of a hat. lol

Technically though anything under 700 is considered a low score. Heck I had a good laugh at Ck today when they suggest a sub prime CC for my credit, I mean seriously I've got 8 prime cards idiots. Though it likely had to do with being at 30% on one card, and 28% on 2-3 others ATM. Gonna have to wait 30 days for the update and see what happens.

@GApeachy wrote:

I hope you're right cuz we use the heck out of our cards, low limits and it's a pita making multiple pymts to control utl.%.  DH has had his since Jan. 2019, received 2 cli's (small amts. though this last one was triple the first one.)  If they will reward upon usage we will be sitting good hopefully over the course of a year and after that I don't care if we grow the cards any further than what we need to cover expenses while maintaining a healthy utl.% overall.

I don't know what your limits are, but this shouldn't be that much of a hassle so long as you're not carring a balance. But if so, seems like you may need a seperate daily driver that can be PIF every month. If you're not preparing for an app, there's no reason to micromanage utilization to that degree.

Message 29 of 162
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

Good to know!
Message 30 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.