cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

just got approved few minutes ago for a $2k increase from $5k to $7k.

Experianm is at 770

Message 31 of 162
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

One day Discover will let me back in lol. Until then AMEX, BofA, and NFCU will do :0
Message 32 of 162
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

I received a 3k total increase late last month (1.5k online, another 1.5k over the phone) after putting significant spend and letting it report. Not sure if that had anything to do with it but I was certainly under 3 statement cuts and under 90 days. I will try again in a few weeks once TU 8 report is updated with new balance limits and lower UTI %. 

Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 33 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I don't know that it is proof, as you are one cardholder out of many, many, many cardholders. As always with credit YMMV and Discover has never been all that predictable with approvals and CLIs. Some people get crazy growth and others get stuck at low limits. No sense trying to figure out Discover which I think OP has been trying to do for a long time. They obviously have an algorithim that works for them and the results are always going to be YMMV.

Message 34 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

I don't know that it is proof, as you are one cardholder out of many, many, many cardholders. As always with credit YMMV and Discover has never been all that predictable with approvals and CLIs.

I think you're veering away from the thesis of my post and taking the "no use trying to figure out Discover" stance when I'm not trying to "figure out" anything.  You said they've never been all that predictable.  I've got 70+ denial letters all with the "insufficient experience" reason on them.  To me, that's a very high level of predictability.  The fact that I received a letter that states something different after seeing the same thing 70+ times means something.

Message 35 of 162
Asilomar
Frequent Contributor

I seem to have done okay with Discover, at least in comparison to some of my fellow MF'ers who've had a rough go of it.  

I've had the card just a hair over 2 years and in that time have grown the line 14,200.  After opening it I got 3K at the 3 month mark and then for the next 15 months got a series of LOL CLI's of 700, 50 (yes, fitty bucks), and 450.  Then in August of '18 I got 1500 online and when I called to double dip the CSR offered to see what I could get from a hard pull.  That got me 5K.  Then in February '19 I got 500 and 3 months later in May I got 3K.  Incidentally, when I called in to get more and was willing to take the HP to do it, the rep from the credit department told me that she didn't have that option.  

So, if anything I've gotten more out of them of late rather than seeing the noticable tightening reported around here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EX 809 TU 806 EQ 810

Message 36 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had my IT for a couple years, low start limit of $1200. I hit the button every month and was usually denied. Over time, and with sporatic $300 increases I made it to $2700 then hit a wall.  I put the card in the drawer and quit using it.. Low and behold last week they gave me a $2000 increase to $4700 so maybe I've finally cracked the egg. TU is 771.

Message 37 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really want Discover to come up with a new credit card.  My Disc It doesn't get much use anymore and the Disc Chrome & Miles aren't useful to me either.

Message 38 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Asilomar wrote:

I seem to have done okay with Discover, at least in comparison to some of my fellow MF'ers who've had a rough go of it.  

I've had the card just a hair over 2 years and in that time have grown the line 14,200.  After opening it I got 3K at the 3 month mark and then for the next 15 months got a series of LOL CLI's of 700, 50 (yes, fitty bucks), and 450.  Then in August of '18 I got 1500 online and when I called to double dip the CSR offered to see what I could get from a hard pull.  That got me 5K.  Then in February '19 I got 500 and 3 months later in May I got 3K.  

This is something I just can't quite understand, a SP and HP will net them the same results. My score hasn't changed since their last mothly SP, so why should I incur a HP for a CLI? No one know what it's gonna be, so it's not like we can count on a $3-5K increase. 

Especially if they're only willing to pony up $500 for a SP.

I've though about it several time just to see what I would get for the inquiry, but then remember that I don't really need the extra CL with them enough to warrant a HP. I would just finally like to get it to be an even number, or possibly hit the $20K mark. 

Message 39 of 162
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Brutal, i have proof im still average JoeSmiley Wink today got 3 denial letters, woo hoo! All 3 say insufficient experience with the credit limitSmiley Happy. Yeah me!!😄
Message 40 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.