cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

I have a large balance on my Discover card and they keep giving me CLI after CLI.

Message 41 of 162
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a large balance on my Discover card and they keep giving me CLI after CLI.

Oh I'm so sorrrrrrrrrry Smiley Wink

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 42 of 162
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

It was a nice effort to understand what makes Disco tick.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 43 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking forward to seeing my next denial letter to see if the not using limit language is still there, or if I go back to insufficient experience...  Will report back when it arrives.

Message 44 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got another insufficient experience letter yesterday. Hadn’t used the card for more than $10 since March.

I am wondering if there was just a momentary glitch in the insufficient experience universe that caused the machine to spit out a different reason code and make us all spiral out of control about it. Smiley Tongue
Message 45 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very well could be.  We'll see what happens going forward.

Message 46 of 162
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

I requested a CLI last Sunday (6/16) & just received my denial letter..."Insufficient Experience with Current Discover Card Credit Limit." I can't really blame them I did recieve a $800 increase in May. I'm relieved to say the least, I was dreading the "little usage" excuse.
Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 47 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes! I second that 🙋🏽‍♀️ They’re becoming a bunch of tightwads 😓
Message 48 of 162
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes! I second that 🙋🏽‍♀️ They’re becoming a bunch of tightwads 😓

At least around here, most just use Discover for the (capped) 5% category and little/nothing else, and many of us have way larger limits than warranted. My Discover is at 25k or something like that; I have stopped asking for an increase because there's no point.  So I can't say I'm really surprised if they did tighten up the CLI process because most of these limits are not going to be used.

Message 49 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree 100% with the above post.  A high Discover card limit if the card is being used only to max rewards is not necessary at all.  One can only spend $500/mo on average ($1500/quarter) before they hit the cap.  All one really needs is a (say) $2000-$3000 limit on their Discover card to keep utilization in check if floating a ~$500 balance, give or take.  Anything above a $3k limit or so is really just fluff.

Message 50 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.