cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

@BRIVERS73 wrote:

The last big increase I received from discover was about 3 months ago in the amount of 6k. A couple days ago I asked for an increase and for the first time in about 3 years the descion went to a manual review. I end up receiving an increase of $500.00 pushing my limit to $50,500. 

Nice limit above!  When you say it went to a MR, did you receive the less common 2-3 day message when you submitted the CLI request?  What is your typical monthly spend on the card?

Message 71 of 162
BRIVERS73
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@BRIVERS73 wrote:

The last big increase I received from discover was about 3 months ago in the amount of 6k. A couple days ago I asked for an increase and for the first time in about 3 years the descion went to a manual review. I end up receiving an increase of $500.00 pushing my limit to $50,500. 

Nice limit above!  When you say it went to a MR, did you receive the less common 2-3 day message when you submitted the CLI request?  What is your typical monthly spend on the card?

Yeah, I haven't seen that message in so long which lead me to believe that I've might've hit a ceiling with Discover . I spend anywhere between $200 to $300 a month on the card 

Message 72 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BRIVERS73 wrote:

Yeah, I haven't seen that message in so long which lead me to believe that I've might've hit a ceiling with Discover . I spend anywhere between $200 to $300 a month on the card 

Gotcha.  You and I appear to be on the same relative path.  I spend around that per month on my card per average and my limit is about $5k under yours, but I'm at $500 CLIs now which makes me think I may be near my ceiling.  How long have you had your card and what income do you have on file with them?  I've had my account just over 3 years and disclose a little under 3 figures to them.

Message 73 of 162
BRIVERS73
Valued Member

I've had it for almost 16 years. It was a Discover More in 2016 and got converted to a Discover it. It only had a Credit Limit of $5500. I read about potential soft pulls for CLIs from this website & that's how I got started. My net is 96k

Message 74 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool, so all of your growth has basically come in the last 3 years.  It seems our profiles are quite similar... nearly the same income and growth over the course of 3 years with a bunch of SP CLIs.  Your relationship of 16 years is definitely way in excess of my 3 year account though, that's for sure.

Message 75 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point
I have two Discover cards both at 2K. My first Discover card was unsecured and the credit limit was raised from 200 to 2,000. When I got my first Discover card my credit score was about 615 or so. When I got my card unsecured the only credit limit increase I've received my credit score was about 665.
after the first year I got my second Discover card my credit score was about 730 when I was approved for the second 2K limit. I have yet to receive any credit limit increases since my score has risen. Reason for my score to rise was a derogatory fell off. I will definitely be following this thread.
By the way I could on average probably 900 to $1,100 through this card. I did this for the first year. Now I only use the card for quarter cashback. This month I used $350. last year it was the only card I had besides Quicksilver now that I have other cards it gets less use but still plenty.
Right now I have a $750 balance on both cards they both have 0 APR. I have never carried a balance or I should say always paid the statement in full until now with discover. I am curious to see if paying down this slowly may get me a credit limit increase. maybe they are going to wait for me to have the second card for a year and combine them to get my credit limit increase lol. TransUnion score is 740 right now

On another note I was declined from crap one for a credit limit increase on my $500 bucketed card for too many inquiries I have 2 inquiries in the last year...
Message 76 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

dtk, have you been requesting Discover CLIs?  In your post above you talk about having not received any, but didn't specifically say if you've been trying and have been declined, or if you just mean Discover hasn't thrown you any [auto] CLI love.

Message 77 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied
Message 78 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just checked and I put $15,000 through my first Discover card. It started as secured as I said above even with that $200 limit for the first eight months. when my anniversary passed without a credit limit increase I chalked it up to the fact that I got a new card with the same limit. Honestly I did think I would gain a credit limit increase or at least have a higher limit on my second card. I don't know how good of a chance I will have for a credit limit increase on the first card since I stopped using it when I got the second card. I do have that $800 balance that I am slowly paying off on the first card. I am interested in seeing which card receives a credit limit increase first my first or second.
Just requested credit limit increases on both cards and receive the same three to five day message. Previously the denials have said not enough time at current credit limit.
Message 79 of 162
FicoGuy2019
Established Contributor

@FicoGuy2019 wrote:

So when can you request the first CLI?  I was approved for my Discover it $15k on 6/7. I am already using 14,586.85 of my limit which I will be paying off in the next day or so or should I wait for the statement to cut so it's reported as the high balance used?  It still says no payment due so I don't know when the first statement cut will be.

Well, that was fast.  Discover already started reporting to all 3 in just 3 weeks since approval.  At least I now have the high balance reporting so I will pay it tomorrow, even though it doesn't have a due date yet.

Hopefully since I almost maxed the card out, they will give me a nice CLI in the future.  

discover.jpg

Message 80 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.