cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

Just another data point for the "thick files and active spending get CLIs" school of thought.

I just received another $1,000 CLI from Discover, bringing my SL to $11.5K. My last CLI was 1.5 months ago, in mid-May.

I put several thousand dollars through my Discover card each month, but when statements cut my UTIL is always below 9 percent. 

Message 81 of 162
Hockeypnc1
Established Contributor

After a small push up from $3300 to $3600 earlier in June, they declined my request today.

Message 82 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

Just another data point for the "thick files and active spending get CLIs" theory.

There is definitely no universal correlation between spend and Discover CLIs.  If you find it seems to matter/work on your profile, that's great and I'd definitely continue to roll with what you've found success with.  For everyone else though, it's all profile specific.  Plenty of people (I am one of them) have put a decent spend through my Discover card for several cycles only to be denied my CLI requests, then I put little to no spend through it for a few cycles and see a CLI.

Message 83 of 162
Poppa
Established Contributor

Recently I did a BT from my DW's Discover to mine. Neither of us has gotten a CLI since September 2018. Mine with low spend and hers with decent spend. Her scores stay around 770 -780 mine are lower from multiple balances at 750-760. Also our scores dropped since our mortgage was transferred to a new lender. We've not had it reporting since May 2nd and it won't get reported they say until the end of July. Anyway, after doing the BT the statements cut and about a week later I got a $2000 CLI. I tried my DW's and hers was declined. Two days later however I tried again and it was approved for $1000. Her denial letter came and said "LOW USAGE ON EXISTING LINE OF CREDIT IN PREVIOUS MONTH(S)". Her score on letter 784. 

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 84 of 162
titanium_bbx
Contributor

Edited to add: I don't really care. Disc is not my favorite card and never has been.

Some data points:

I can confirm my every 4-6 months CLI request has been denied (mostly 6-month requests)-  for the last year or so, with a letter stating:
"Low usage on existing line of credit in previous month(s)."

Last attempt at a CLI: 6/15/19

Previously, Disc would give me a small hike of about 500 per request, regardless of the same activity (recurring charges), and payment patterns.
Recently (past 7 months+), I have been using the card for all Ubers, increasing usage. That was much more through-put since I take Ubers at least 3x/wk.

Uber: - Disc had a % back category for this but I had the card dedicated to Uber anyway, previously. 
** I am now looking for a new card for Uber transactions if they are not going to play nicely with me. Though, Uber prepay offers 5% off **
----
More data points:
- ~16% revolving util
- 0 missed payments
- Overall 30 yr length of credit
- 1 inquiry in past 12 months (Equifax)
- Age of Disc card: 7 yrs, 10  mo.
- Approx Ave age of open accts: 5 yrs, 7 mo

Message 85 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@titanium_bbx wrote:

I can confirm my every 4-6 months CLI request has been denied (mostly 6-month requests)-  for the last year or so, with a letter stating:
"Low usage on existing line of credit in previous month(s)."

Interesting.  I don't recall seeing this denial reason referenced prior to the start of this thread, as the usual reason almost always was "Insufficient experience with current Discover card limit."

Message 86 of 162
titanium_bbx
Contributor

Right.
That message is what I used to get. Not often, though- I usually timed it just right, with no particular "insider info formula," to almost always get a CLI of avg, 500 per request:
"Insufficient experience with current Discover card limit."

[ Got the "insufficient experience" even when I had driven my card up to 60% util, several months in a row, and PIF, just previous to a CLI request. Got the same message when I had very little util and PIF and not PIF. They remain a puzzle to me, but mostly due to my own lack of research on this forum, but also cause I don't really care that much. I have much better cards. ]

Message 87 of 162
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Everything is still the SAME and HAS NOT changed as far as my CLI relationship with Disco. I’m still on the 5-Month coach of their Gravy train.

Got denied last month (4th month) due to “Insufficient experience...” and just got a $4K bump last monday the 15th (5th month) upping my CL to $21.5K now. Initially got a “2-day review response” after hitting the button then woke up with the CL bump the following morning!

It’s usually different for everyone else but my sweet spot seems to be the FIRST MONDAY (5PM CT+) after Statement cuts and FICO updated EVERY FIVE MONTHS.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 88 of 162
Poppa
Established Contributor

Do you carry a large balance?
FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 89 of 162
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Poppa wrote:
Do you carry a large balance?

Not sure if question was for BBS (OP) but in my case... Always PIF before statement cuts 11x per year and 1x PIF after statement cuts each year. Average of about $600-$700 a month spend last 12 months.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 90 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.