cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

@Poppa wrote:

Recently I did a BT from my DW's Discover to mine.......

It's my understanding that you can't do a balance transfer from one Discover card to another.

"Which accounts are ineligible to transfer to my Discover Card account?

Ineligible Accounts:

- Discover Card accounts"

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 91 of 162
Poppa
Established Contributor

You can put it in your bank account and distribute it as you wish
FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 92 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I received the card I immediately asked when I should request a credit limit increase, and they told me August. I Requested it today and was denied again. Both of my cards are still twins at $2,000 credit limit.
The first one is very understandable because I initially had a secured card.
My statement date isn't until towards the end of the month so I am hopeful I will receive a credit limit increase at some point this month since I have credit cards reporting higher limits now.
Now I am a bit worried that my charge card I got in May, and my Citi rewards flexible spending limit spook discover. I hope they don't look at it as I have to much credit elsewhere. I am going to lower my spend a bit over the next couple of months with discover anyways so I will see how that works out going from very heavy spend since I got the cards 2 lighter spend on my newer card. And no spend on my older car just paying down the 0% apr offer.
Both cards are about 35% utilization. My overall utilisation is 6%
I will be disappointed if I don't get a credit limit increase this month but doesn't really matter...
Message 93 of 162
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
When I received the card I immediately asked when I should request a credit limit increase, and they told me August. I Requested it today and was denied again. Both of my cards are still twins at $2,000 credit limit.
The first one is very understandable because I initially had a secured card.
My statement date isn't until towards the end of the month so I am hopeful I will receive a credit limit increase at some point this month since I have credit cards reporting higher limits now.
Now I am a bit worried that my charge card I got in May, and my Citi rewards flexible spending limit spook discover. I hope they don't look at it as I have to much credit elsewhere. I am going to lower my spend a bit over the next couple of months with discover anyways so I will see how that works out going from very heavy spend since I got the cards 2 lighter spend on my newer card. And no spend on my older car just paying down the 0% apr offer.
Both cards are about 35% utilization. My overall utilisation is 6%
I will be disappointed if I don't get a credit limit increase this month but doesn't really matter...

Just don't be disappointed if you are denied again for a Discover CLI. There is truly no rhyme or reason to their decision making on who gets one and who doesn't. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 94 of 162
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Disco be cray cray 4 sureSmiley Happy they have played with my emotions over 2 years nowSmiley Wink
Message 95 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Either way I have the credit needed for the immediate future, but who knows what the future brings.
Up until now Discover has pretty much met my expectations Everytime. I'm not saying I deserve a cli I just was thinking I'd get one this time. Since my credit limits have gone up I'm not sure if banks will see my total credit and think I have enough or hopeful they will try to match each others limits. Plus discover will always be my first credit card who gave me a chance to prove myself when I had mid 500 ficos, and unsecured me unlike my closed cap1 Wich was my first card.
I did see in this post one person said always day after statement so I'll hope for that but I know disco is the bi-polar Queen and won't hold my breath.
Message 96 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@averagejoescredit -If you don't mind me asking how much total if any cli have u received. I'm now on my second year with my 1st card and think this card may be bucketed since I had a low score when I applied. I honestly thought my second sl would be higher than my first but they just matched it. Credit score was 730 for 2nd app. Have you closed any Disco cards in past?
Message 97 of 162
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@averagejoescredit -If you don't mind me asking how much total if any cli have u received. I'm now on my second year with my 1st card and think this card may be bucketed since I had a low score when I applied. I honestly thought my second sl would be higher than my first but they just matched it. Credit score was 730 for 2nd app. Have you closed any Disco cards in past?

No problems. My first Disco started in  2016 at $2500. I was on the now famous, or maybe infamous, $500 cli train more or less every 3 months, hence the AJC Special was born.  I ended up at $4000 after my first year when i decided to close it since i figured id never see real growth.

3 months later i decided to try again for Miss Disco and was approved for $5000. Again, i ended up getting 3 $500 cli , though my 90 day windows started drying up lol. Recently for first time ever, my second It broke the mold and i finally got $1500.  So it now sits at $8000. 

This past Feb i went Chrome, my 3rd straight year of Double Cash back, though i dont fully max its potential like some as my income is low. Was approved for $1000 on my first ever prequal though at a very high apr, go figure. Have received a $500 increase since. 

Disco is one of my favorite lenders for their unpredictability  lol. Keep the faith it will happen.👍😉

Message 98 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the information. Honestly I'm ok with the limit for now. My goal is when I combine the limits next May to hopefully have 10,000 total with Disco.
I'm not sure if I'll go with year 3 DISCO. If nothing changes, and nothing competes with the 10/2% cb first year I'll most likely get a 3rd after combination.
Quick question.. After my first card anniversary I took the 12 month 0 apr on purchases and racked up 800 balance. If I don't make any purchases with old disco and just keep paying it down will they slash the limit? Or something else. They must know people are going to use the new card right? .
BTW- A CSR did confirm August 1st was first day I was eligible to request a CLI on new card... denied. No sweat thinking positive. thanks again I'll keep updated
Message 99 of 162
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Since my credit limits have gone up I'm not sure if banks will see my total credit and think I have enough or hopeful they will try to match each others limits.

It definitely depends on the profile.  Discover was my largest limit at the time I was approved and as I've opened other cards and grown them, Discover has in my view attempted to try and remain in that Number 1 slot.  About a year ago they fell to Number 2 (out of 7) as my Amex with $5k CLIs every 6 months finally took the lead.  I've continued to see Discover CLIs though since then, so perhaps they're attempting to reclaim that Number 1 spot.

Message 100 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.