cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Contributor

Re: Proof: Discover has tightened up CLI requirements.

I have a large balance on my Discover card and they keep giving me CLI after CLI.

My Current Cards: Capital One Quicksilver $2250, Amazon Store Card $3550, Paypal 2% MC $6,900, Paypal Credit Line $1,500, Marvel Mastercard $3800, Discover IT $4,500, CITI Double Cash $2,000
My FICO8 Scores: TU: 735 EX: 739
Message 41 of 162
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

@crestfallen wrote:

I have a large balance on my Discover card and they keep giving me CLI after CLI.

Oh I'm so sorrrrrrrrrry Smiley Wink

GOALS: Garden til APR 2020 and 800 Club

SEP 2019: EX 791, TU 797, EQ 800
JUN 2019: EX 788, TU 794, EQ 779
DEC 2018: EX 777, TU 783, EQ 799

|| AmX Cash Magnet $25K || NFCU CashRewards $20K || Macy's $20K || Discover IT $18.7K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $12.5K || AmX ED $11.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 42 of 162
Established Contributor

It was a nice effort to understand what makes Disco tick.

Message 43 of 162
Super Contributor

Looking forward to seeing my next denial letter to see if the not using limit language is still there, or if I go back to insufficient experience...  Will report back when it arrives.

Message 44 of 162
Super Contributor

I got another insufficient experience letter yesterday. Hadn’t used the card for more than $10 since March.

I am wondering if there was just a momentary glitch in the insufficient experience universe that caused the machine to spit out a different reason code and make us all spiral out of control about it. Smiley Tongue

Scores 1/2019:
Scores 9/2019:

Hover over my cards to see my limits!
Goal cards: Does it look like I really need any more cards? My goal is to garden until 2/2020.
Message 45 of 162
Super Contributor

Very well could be.  We'll see what happens going forward.

Message 46 of 162
Contributor

I requested a CLI last Sunday (6/16) & just received my denial letter..."Insufficient Experience with Current Discover Card Credit Limit." I can't really blame them I did recieve a $800 increase in May. I'm relieved to say the least, I was dreading the "little usage" excuse.
Discover: $4800
Cap One QS: $1651
CFU: $3400
PPMC: $800
AAOA: 15 mos
Experian (fico 8) 744
Transunion (fico 8) 750
Equifax (fico 8) 741
Message 47 of 162
Established Member

Yes! I second that 🙋🏽‍♀️ They’re becoming a bunch of tightwads 😓
Message 48 of 162
Super Contributor

@HoneyBaked wrote:
Yes! I second that 🙋🏽‍♀️ They’re becoming a bunch of tightwads 😓

At least around here, most just use Discover for the (capped) 5% category and little/nothing else, and many of us have way larger limits than warranted. My Discover is at 25k or something like that; I have stopped asking for an increase because there's no point.  So I can't say I'm really surprised if they did tighten up the CLI process because most of these limits are not going to be used.

Message 49 of 162
Super Contributor

I agree 100% with the above post.  A high Discover card limit if the card is being used only to max rewards is not necessary at all.  One can only spend $500/mo on average ($1500/quarter) before they hit the cap.  All one really needs is a (say) $2000-$3000 limit on their Discover card to keep utilization in check if floating a ~$500 balance, give or take.  Anything above a $3k limit or so is really just fluff.

Message 50 of 162
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.