Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Chase Freedom and Amazon rewards - Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Chase Freedom and Amazon rewards - Chase

Hey everyone! I was instantly apporved for a Chase Freedom card with a $1000 limit but was then declined for the Amazon Rewards Visa from chase. I reconned and they told me that one of the reasons was not long credit activity and because I was just approved that same day for a Chase card already. Would it be worth another recon and maybe asking if they would split my limit from the freedom to the amazon rewards visa? I just want to maximize my rewards for everyday purchases and figured the amazon one would be benefitial. Any recommendations? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Chase Freedom and Amazon rewards - Chase

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone! I was instantly apporved for a Chase Freedom card with a $1000 limit but was then declined for the Amazon Rewards Visa from chase. I reconned and they told me that one of the reasons was not long credit activity and because I was just approved that same day for a Chase card already. Would it be worth another recon and maybe asking if they would split my limit from the freedom to the amazon rewards visa? I just want to maximize my rewards for everyday purchases and figured the amazon one would be benefitial. Any recommendations? 

You can try, but I've found that when the reason the UW doesn't want to approve more accounts or credit is that they want to see history, that's pretty difficult to change their mind on.

They want to see how you handle what they've already given you before they will consider doing anything further.

If you do decide to ask again, good luck and definitely bring up that you are willing to split and have 2 $500 cards, though to be honest I would not go that route. A $500 limit is almost useless, especially if you like to buy things from Amazon.

My TV (which I bought from them a few years ago) for example, was I think about 3000, so I would have never been able to use a 500 card to buy it... and as a Prime member I probably make 5-10 Amazon orders per month, easily spending more than $500 in one shot on a regular basis. 

Just my two cents, but again good luck if you think that two $500 cards is worth trying recon again.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Show good payments and try again in 3 months.  Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can try, but I've found that when the reason the UW doesn't want to approve more accounts or credit is that they want to see history, that's pretty difficult to change their mind on.

They want to see how you handle what they've already given you before they will consider doing anything further.

If you do decide to ask again, good luck and definitely bring up that you are willing to split and have 2 $500 cards, though to be honest I would not go that route. A $500 limit is almost useless, especially if you like to buy things from Amazon.

My TV (which I bought from them a few years ago) for example, was I think about 3000, so I would have never been able to use a 500 card to buy it... and as a Prime member I probably make 5-10 Amazon orders per month, easily spending more than $500 in one shot on a regular basis. 

Just my two cents, but again good luck if you think that two $500 cards is worth trying recon again.

thanks for the advice, however I dont plan on using any of my cards for big purchases; just my everyday purcahses I already make to get rewards that I dont get by using my debit card, ya know? I work at best buy anyways, anything big I want is electronic and I get my discount lolSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the advice, however I dont plan on using any of my cards for big purchases; just my everyday purcahses I already make to get rewards that I dont get by using my debit card, ya know? I work at best buy anyways, anything big I want is electronic and I get my discount lolSmiley Wink

For sure - only you can decide what is worth it to you. 

I haven't had an active debit card in 2 years, and the only expenses I have that can't go on a credit card are my car payment and auto insurance... everything else is assigned to a specific card. 

One other thought I had that you may also want to factor in... while you may only currently make tiny orders with Amazon, having bare minimum CC limits will make it more difficult for you to get decent limits if you ever reach a point where you care about that in the future because other lenders will look at your existing accounts when they pull your reports and see that the people who are already with were only willing to give you the absolute bare minimum $500 per account - which may look like you can't handle more normal limits so you could be digging yourself a baby-limit grave.

Just food for thought.

Message 5 of 8
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

Why not apply for the Sychrony store card?  Still get 5% at Amazon and it's not a Chase card.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

For sure - only you can decide what is worth it to you. 

I haven't had an active debit card in 2 years, and the only expenses I have that can't go on a credit card are my car payment and auto insurance... everything else is assigned to a specific card. 

One other thought I had that you may also want to factor in... while you may only currently make tiny orders with Amazon, having bare minimum CC limits will make it more difficult for you to get decent limits if you ever reach a point where you care about that in the future because other lenders will look at your existing accounts when they pull your reports and see that the people who are already with were only willing to give you the absolute bare minimum $500 per account - which may look like you can't handle more normal limits so you could be digging yourself a baby-limit grave.

Just food for thought.

Ahh, that makes sense. I appreciate it!

Another question. I now have a chase freedon, Cap1 QS and a secured($300 limit, $100 deposit; 9 months old - oldest card except my AU card), Discover it, and Barclay card. Cap 1 wont graduate my secured card. should I just close it since its not really that old anyways and its a low limit / secured? Get my deposit back and just go to the garden with these 4 cards I have now that are much better?

Message 7 of 8
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Wait a little longer on the Cap1 secured. If (big if to be honest) it unsecures it will be closer to 1 year.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.