Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about opting out of pre-screened offers & Chase in brach preapproval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about opting out of pre-screened offers & Chase in brach preapproval

Q1) I don't reacall doing it at all, and I've heard you're opted in by default, so I'm confused.

I went to Chase's website to do a pre-qualification check for the CFU, but they said

"We are unable to locate any offers for you at this time.

This may be because you have opted out of "pre-screened" offers from Chase and other companies or you have recently responded to another offer from Chase.

However we may still have products to meet your needs. Please continue to chase.com"

Does this just mean I don't have any offers, or that I for sure opted out? When I did an amex pre-qualification check it said I had offers.

Could my mom have opted me out? I don't think she would know to do that though. I'm 18 as of last year, and I haven't received any of those targeted credit card messages in the mail. Should I just opt in now to be safe? I also have no offers in the "just for you section" of their banking page

Q2) I'm interested in the CFU, and as mentioned above, I don't have any pre-qualifications. I'd rather not cold apply, and when I've searched around I've heard you can get pre-approved in branch? 

Do I just walk in and ask to speak with one of the employees and ask if I'm pre-approved?

If I'm pre-approved how big of an approval odds is that? Say I get pre-approved then I apply in branch and get denied, is there any 'recon chance' if I do it that way or would I just talk to the person I applied with in brach?

I also opened a checking account with them back in April. To help me.

Also, if I get accepted in branch, do I get the card then, or do I still have to wait for it to arrive in the mail?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about opting out of pre-screened offers & Chase in brach preapproval

You're probably not opted out of offers if you're seeing other preapprovals. That message is always there when there are no offers (in case that is a possible reason). Have you logged into your Chase account to see if there are any offers there first.  

If you go in-person, I think it works the way you mentioned. Just ask if there are any offers on your account. If approved, the card would have to be mailed to you.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about opting out of pre-screened offers & Chase in brach preapproval

@KLEXH25 Yea, I've gone to their 'just for you' page and there's nothing there either, it just says to try their pre-qualification tool which then leads me to that message.

And okay, thank you! How high are the odds of being accepted when pre-approved? Would a denial be a firm denial then since I'm talking to the person, or can I still inquire about it with the employee who I'm talking to, to try and get it reversed? Or go home and try calling recon again, haha.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And okay, thank you! How high are the odds of being accepted when pre-approved? Would a denial be a firm denial then since I'm talking to the person, or can I still inquire about it with the employee who I'm talking to, to try and get it reversed? Or go home and try calling recon again, haha.

The approval odds are the same whether you do it online or in-branch, you can recon after either

You probably don't need pre-approval for the Freedom cards, they're pretty easy to get, recon would probably give you one if denied -- provided you have some income and deposit activity in the Chase bank account

Personally I'd just apply online at home if no in-branch pre-approval, it's more comfortable there Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

I believe recon has to be done with an underwriter, not the branch employee. Although the branch employee can call on your behalf, right then and there, I believe. 

If you do have an in-branch approval, odds are probably very good. But there is always a chance of being denied once they do the hard pull. They could see the recent HP from Amex and change their mind. It's hard to say because Chase is even more strict now.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 Yea, I thought they were being more strict too, so it's interesting for them to put out a SUB that will entice new applicants.

I've heard Chase isn't inquiry sensitive, and since amex won't report my card for ~2 months then I've heard I *should* (emphasis on should, haha) be okay, but I know nothing is 100%.

I may go in-branch tomorrow and just shoot my shot for the pre-approval, if I get it I'll apply if not better than the cold app and getting denied, haha.

Message 6 of 9
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@KLEXH25 Yea, I thought they were being more strict too, so it's interesting for them to put out a SUB that will entice new applicants.

Well, they are still a business that needs to make money. But that doesn't mean they have to lower their standards. Good luck!

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KLEXH25 True, I mean it seems they've upped their standars during the pandemic, so it's interesting yet cool to see that kind of SUB when you've been seeing them tighten up more. Drawing more people in, and I've seen people who are on the lower end of approval odds. Not that that was probably Chase's intention, just people seeing the SUB and wanting it, haha.

Hopefully I'll get it! If I don't get pre-approved, yea like I mentioned before, I'll wait a month and try pre-approval again (is there a tracking on it? Like if go again a month later will they know it's my second time trying to get pre-approved?). Hopefully the grocery SUB is still going on by then!

Message 8 of 9
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I have 840 scores across the board with a thick file. I get the same messages from Capital One ( i have 4 open accounts with them, 2 of which are 15 years old with perfect history ) and Citibank. I think there is more than 1 opt-in / opt-out flag.

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.