Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reapplying for charged off credit issuers

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Reapplying for charged off credit issuers

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

I'm confused about something. I have had 3 deragatory credit card fallouts. For example, Chase Amazon was written off as a charge off but no collection. The other issuers are Barclays and US Bank. When I had applied for a Chase card they wouldn't approve me because of the deragatory relationship with their bank. Chase has now fallen off my credit report a few months ago so if my score improves and apply again, because it's not on my report any longer, would I get another chance of approval? Or do they consider that forever permanent? Over the last several years I have been doing much better with credit cards so I have that going for me.

1. The fact that it's not in your reports helps your scores, but is otherwise meaningless to the lender who was burned. They all keep records.

2.  It's truly impossible to know whether you are still on their blacklist or not, until you actually go ahead and apply.

3.  If you're in a position to pay off any of them, it couldn't hurt, but I would establish phone contact with the bank to ascertain where and how to make payment to make sure it gets credited properly.

4.  AFAIK all 3 of those lenders are of the more unforgiving type.

5.  It seems that nobody's blacklist is perpetual.  Most likely you would be allowed back in sooner or later, but it's impossible to know when.

If I were you, I would probably just not apply to those particular lenders unless I was willing to just burn one or more HP's (I say "or more" because Chase frequently double pulls).  There are so many other lenders out there with all kinds of great offerings.

I would certainly not bother with Barclays, which I consider a weirdo bank.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 11 of 43
hackersmovie
New Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

I'm confused about something. I have had 3 deragatory credit card fallouts. For example, Chase Amazon was written off as a charge off but no collection. The other issuers are Barclays and US Bank. When I had applied for a Chase card they wouldn't approve me because of the deragatory relationship with their bank. Chase has now fallen off my credit report a few months ago so if my score improves and apply again, because it's not on my report any longer, would I get another chance of approval? Or do they consider that forever permanent? Over the last several years I have been doing much better with credit cards so I have that going for me.

I would certainly not bother with Barclays, which I consider a weirdo bank.

@SouthJamaica I'm cracking up... Smiley LOL

Personal Cards:

Business Cards:

FICO 8: Equifax - 686 / Transunion - 727 / Experian - 678
FICO 9: Equifax - 659 / Transunion - 776 / Experian - 673
Message 12 of 43
IcyCool7227
Regular Contributor

Chase is the one with $6800 something. Now that it's off the CR I can't even see how much it was charged off for exactly with cents. If I never pay it would I ever get back with Chase again after more time or not? Would Chase even accept the payment at this point if it's off the CR?

As of: 2/6/24:

EQ: 778 (prev. 773 on 1/26/24 & 750 on 1/7/24 & 626 on 6/7/24 & 652 in April 2023) - FICO 8
EX: 755 (prev. 753 on 1/26/34 & 732 on 1/7/24 & 643 on 6/7/24 & 619 in April 2023) - FICO 8
TU: 748 (prev. 744 on 1/26/24 & 689 on 1/7/24 & 6/7/24 & 654 in April 2023) - CreditKarma

Have:
- Amazon Prime Store Card: $5,000
- Capital One SavorOne Cash Rewards: $1,200
- Discover it Cashback: $1,000
- Kohl’s Charge: $3,000
- Super Cash: Limit varies based on debit balance - doesn't show up in accounts anymore though on CRs.
- Zolve: Shows up but have not set up yet as no money has been put on the account.
Message 13 of 43
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

Chase is the one with $6800 something. Now that it's off the CR I can't even see how much it was charged off for exactly with cents. If I never pay it would I ever get back with Chase again after more time or not? Would Chase even accept the payment at this point if it's off the CR?

I cannot speak to whether Chase will accept some type of payment or settlement, however, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence on this forum to suggest you can A) pay them back, and B) get back in with Chase after some amount of time has passed.  Regarding the time, I have no hard evidence to suggest paying them back will get you in sooner, but my gut tells me paying them will shorten your time on the blacklist, possibly from years to months.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 14 of 43
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@IcyCool7227 wrote:

You'd have to find an old report to find out the exact amount in case you want to pay them back (and obviously if they'll even accept you paying them back well after it aging off) and also to make sure they aren't pulling one over on you. 

If you never pay it/can no longer pay it, you'll likely be blacklisted for a long time (years, most likely). How long is anyone's guess.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 43
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

Does anyone know if Cap One and Citibank are forgiving in this matter?

Current FICO 8: TU: 814 EX: 774 EQ: 806
Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Unlimited $8,000
American Express BCP: $12,000
Chase Sapphire Preferred $11,500
Blue Business Plus $10,000
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
Capital One Venture X $16,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000
Chase Freedom Unlimited $5,000

Tour Manager, FOH Engineer, Concert Promoter, HBIC
Message 16 of 43
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

CapOne is very-VERY forgiving; Citi, don't even think about it.  Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 43
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Do you happen to know how long Citi's memory is or an estimation? They sold my debt to collection close to 7 years ago. If they have long memories, I wont worry about it but I'm just trying to test the waters.

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 18 of 43
Horseshoez
Valued Contributor

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

Do you happen to know how long Citi's memory is or an estimation? They sold my debt to collection close to 7 years ago. If they have long memories, I wont worry about it but I'm just trying to test the waters.

I'm 10 years out and am still blacklisted.  At this point I have all of the cards I need so it is unlikely I'll ever reapply again.

One other thing I found out is, unlike for those on the AMEX blacklist where you don't even get a soft pull, CITI hits you with a hard pull and then denies you.  No thanks.

Message 19 of 43
drewricomakeubu
Frequent Contributor

@Horseshoez wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

@Horseshoez wrote:

@drewricomakeubu wrote:

I'm 10 years out and am still blacklisted.  At this point I have all of the cards I need so it is unlikely I'll ever reapply again.

One other thing I found out is, unlike for those on the AMEX blacklist where you don't even get a soft pull, CITI hits you with a hard pull and then denies you.  No thanks.

Interesting... thanks for the info. very helpful.

Current Cards:
Chase Freedom $800
Chase Ink Cash $6,000
American Express Gold
Amazon Prime Amex $3,000

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.