Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently Approved Kohls Card. Tried for CLI weird Denial

tag
Kixforpa
Contributor

Recently Approved Kohls Card. Tried for CLI weird Denial

Hello Everyone! Happy New Year to all. Little by little we are trying to rebuild my husband credit. We were approved for a Kohl's card at $300.00. I told him go ahead and request a CLI as soon as you get the card and let's see what happens. Received the 7-10 day message which I assumed would state the usual "new account please wait". Instead we got the following message: We regret that we are unable to increase your credit line at this time due to lack of existing credit information on your credit report. Disclosure of use information obtained from outside source. My husband does not have a lack of info, thin file or report locked. Any thoughts? Does Cap One have a Recon line for there store cards? Should I call Kohls directly? Or just sit it out and wait the 6 months
~Rebuilding Our Lives~
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Credit4Growth
Senior Contributor

Re: Recently Approved Kohls Card. Tried for CLI weird Denial

@Kixforpa wrote:
Hello Everyone! Happy New Year to all. Little by little we are trying to rebuild my husband credit. We were approved for a Kohl's card at $300.00....  we got the following message: We regret that we are unable to increase your credit line at this time due to lack of existing credit information on your credit report. Disclosure of use information obtained from outside source. My husband does not have a lack of info, thin file or report locked. Any thoughts? Does Cap One have a Recon line for there store cards? Should I call Kohls directly? Or just sit it out and wait the 6 months

It has been 20 yearsfor me since having any experience with Cap One, unfortunately i do not have any input.

Congratulatons on the recent Kohl's approval!!

Message 2 of 11
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Kixforpa wrote:
Hello Everyone! Happy New Year to all. Little by little we are trying to rebuild my husband credit. We were approved for a Kohl's card at $300.00. I told him go ahead and request a CLI as soon as you get the card and let's see what happens. Received the 7-10 day message which I assumed would state the usual "new account please wait". Instead we got the following message: We regret that we are unable to increase your credit line at this time due to lack of existing credit information on your credit report. Disclosure of use information obtained from outside source. My husband does not have a lack of info, thin file or report locked. Any thoughts? Does Cap One have a Recon line for there store cards? Should I call Kohls directly? Or just sit it out and wait the 6 months

Not sure you'll get anywhere calling to recon.

Capital One seems to pull random reasons from a hat for denials. Give it time, the card does grow with a decent credit profile. 

The lack of existing credit information could be internal or they haven't had a chance to SP his report since opening the card. 

I went from $300 to $3,000 (max limit) in 18 month's. Spend on the card was around $600 a year for me.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with @chiefone4u - Kohl's isn't one of the cards that you can immediately boost upon approval. It will grow though and they're willing to entertain CLIs on a three-month schedule. Typical pathway is $300-700-1500-2500-3000 (which is the Max the card will give). My timeline for growth from $300 to $3000 was about the same, 16-18 months.

Message 4 of 11
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@Kixforpa wrote:

I believe that reason is the same as it being a new account. I've seen that when I tried for a CLI after a capital one approval but was denied with new account and lack of credit information. I would suggest trying to wait 3 months (90 days) before trying for a CLI. Kohls might be different but knowing its backed by capital one, I assumed it applies as well. 

Message 5 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Kixforpa wrote:

Regardless of reason probably just too soon. 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Agreed with @chiefone4u - Kohl's isn't one of the cards that you can immediately boost upon approval. It will grow though and they're willing to entertain CLIs on a three-month schedule. Typical pathway is $300-700-1500-2500-3000 (which is the Max the card will give). My timeline for growth from $300 to $3000 was about the same, 16-18 months.

I think my card forgot to grow. LOL 

Message 7 of 11
Kixforpa
Contributor

Thank you all for the feedback. I just let it age and see what happens in 90 days or should I wait 6 months? Do we know for certain it's 90?
~Rebuilding Our Lives~
Message 8 of 11
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

@Kixforpa wrote:
Thank you all for the feedback. I just let it age and see what happens in 90 days or should I wait 6 months? Do we know for certain it's 90?

I couldn't remember if it was 90 days or 6 month's; but I do believe @Anonymous is correct that it is every three month's. 

It's a SP (soft pull) for CLI's so no harm asking early... asking early doesn't seem to reset the clock for when you're eligible to ask... on at least one occasion I requested 3 or more times in the same week with the first few being random denials and an approval in the same week as the denials. 

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 9 of 11
silver_idle
Established Contributor

@chiefone4u wrote:

@Kixforpa wrote:

I couldn't remember if it was 90 days or 6 month's; but I do believe @Anonymous is correct that it is every three month's. 

It's a SP (soft pull) for CLI's so no harm asking early... asking early doesn't seem to reset the clock for when you're eligible to ask... on at least one occasion I requested 3 or more times in the same week with the first few being random denials and an approval in the same week as the denials. 

3 months for new cards before they can request a CLI and they can then request a CLI every 6 months, if approved. If not, you can request it at anytime.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.