cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rejected by Citi Double Cash Card

tag
Seth390203

Rejected by Citi Double Cash Card

I got rejected for this card. First rejection I've gotten in many years. My Experian credit score is 821 and I have no debt and no negative marks whatsoever. I'm currently on disability so my income is very low and they said "Your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income."

I called their reconsideration line and they rejected me again. It's their bank and their call. I guess I'll continue to do business with Chase, Amex, Discover, Bank of America...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Rejected by Citi Double Cash Card

@Seth390203 wrote:

I got rejected for this card. First rejection I've gotten in many years. My Experian credit score is 821 and I have no debt and no negative marks whatsoever. I'm currently on disability so my income is very low and they said "Your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income."

I called their reconsideration line and they rejected me again. It's their bank and their call. I guess I'll continue to do business with Chase, Amex, Discover, Bank of America...

I'd be curious to know the general rule of thumb for maximum total revolving credit across all cards vs. Income

Does that line look linear or exponential? 

Shame about the rejection, do you not have a 2% card now? BoA w/their rewards program perhaps?

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go figure? Sure makes me wonder ... Smiley Sad

As we all know: "... the person who has the gold rules ...". Or, as you put it: "It's their bank and their call" ...
Message 3 of 11
Seth390203

I have some good reward cards. USBank does 5 percent on a lot of categories (and also 2) and very easy to find out what qualifies and doesn't. Also have Chase Freedom Unlimited for 1.5 percent.

I just thought I would try Citi since they all have different special offers all the time. I guess not! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 11
Seth390203

I guess I thought when I called a human being would say "Oh, yeah, okay, you're fine, approved."

Nope! 

Message 5 of 11
Hoben02
Frequent Contributor

@Seth390203 wrote:

I have some good reward cards. USBank does 5 percent on a lot of categories (and also 2) and very easy to find out what qualifies and doesn't. Also have Chase Freedom Unlimited for 1.5 percent.

I just thought I would try Citi since they all have different special offers all the time. I guess not! Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

I'm curious what special offers you have heard for this card. My original purpose for this card was to use it with plastiq to pay my mortgage, but that ship has sailed. I've never seen any special offers for the citi double cash maybe the citi merchant offers, but those are similar to the other majors

Chase (CSP,CF,CFU,southwest premier)
Barclay(jetblue, arrival)
Bofa(US pride, premium, travel, cash, Suzy komen)
Citi(Premier, Double cash, Costco)
Fnbo(Mlife)
Amex(everyday, cash, Hilton)
Blockfi
Caesars rewards
Sofi
Gemini
Cap One Savor One
Message 6 of 11
CreditCharmer
Regular Contributor

@Seth390203 wrote:

Sounds like your utilization and debt vs your income didn't make it thru their underwriting or the manual review.  Denials are so disheartening.  🥲

Credit is a lot like a Reputation....It takes 20 years to build it and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, and you will do things differently.

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 11
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

It sounds like if/when you get your DTI down you could reapply and get approved. It's not the end of the world just further proof that credit is about more than the score.

3/3/24
Message 8 of 11
Seth390203

Message 9 of 11
AverageCreditsUser
Established Member

@Seth390203 wrote:

"Your total credit obligations, which include outstanding credit lines, are too high to meet our approval guidelines, when compared to your stated income."

Hi, @Seth390203...I have received the same rejection letter three times on three different occasions in three years of my applications with Citi. This is an incredible denial of a clean credit profile with no debt reports and decent income. A similar rejection of a PenFed credit card application is almost like citing an analogy with the Egyptian Pyramids. Citi considers your total credit limit equal to your total debt.

BOA(2) Chase(5) Amex(4) Citi(3) Discover USB LOC Cap One(2) GS
NFCU(3) PenFed(2) SECU(2) Alliant
(02/2024) Current FICO 8 scores: EX 802(2) EQ 808(0) TU 802(2)
UT 1%
TL $600K+
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.