cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relatively new to credit: Likelihood of Chase approval?

tag
jxrx1

Relatively new to credit: Likelihood of Chase approval?

Hello!
New to the forum and new to the US. Well, newish. I've been a permanent resident for about a year now and have been trying to figure out the credit system and start building some kind of credit because apparently building credit is the most important thing here (who'd have known).

Anyway, I luckily have had a relationship with Amex and have been a cardholder in my home country for about five years, which means I was able to easily get approved for a Platinum card. And I believe that also means that future card applications within Amex will not be a hard pull, which is a plus.

But that leaves me in a position where I'm considering my next move to help me build my credit and built out my credit card strategy.

I really would like to complement my Platinum with a Chase card (ideally a United Quest) but I'm concerned that I might be stuck on 'credit builder' cards for the next little while. 

Currently, in addition to the Platinum, I also have a Capital One Quicksilver Secured card and a Chime Credit Builder. FICO 8 at 715 according to Experian, oldest account is only 8 months old. Credit usage only ~9% thanks to one recurring payment on the Quicksilver card, but total credit available is only $200 due to the credit limit on the Quicksilver.

I guess my question is: thoughts on whether I'd be likely to be approved for a Chase card? As much as Amex seem to be okay with me, I get the feeling I'm not yet seen as too reliable by other credit providers (pre-approval on Capital One, Discover and Amazon all turned up pretty poor results). I wanna nab a Chase card while I'm under 5/24 if I can; I'm already at 3 (my fault for going too hard on the credit builder cards). 

3 REPLIES 3
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Relatively new to credit: Likelihood of Chase approval?

Chase typically likes to see one year of history before approving, so I'd hold off until your credit history/oldest account is at least 12 months.

And welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 4
Mdowning30
Established Contributor

Im a Chase client so i didnt need 12 months of history when i got both the CFU and CSP. But being that the United cards are co branded, they are somewhat easier to get approval. I'd say shoot for it, might only lose 2-4 points. I had about 7-8 months of history with a Capital One Secured when i applied for Chase.

Chase Freedom Unlimited : $6000 | Discover It Chrome : $3500 | AmEx CS Investor : $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred : $5000 | Chase Amazon Prime : $2000 | AmEx Hilton Surpass : $1000 | AmEx Business Plus : $2000 | AmEx Platinum CS : POT $2800 | Tower Federal CU : $15,000 | Lowes Commercial Account : $1,000 | WF Bilt Mastercard : $4,000 | Shell Fleet Plus : $1,000
Total Credit Limit : $42500
Experian FICO 8 : 694
| Experian Vantage : 701 | TransUnion FICO 8 : 683 | TransUnion Vantage : 695
Starting Score: 512
Current Score: 693
Goal Score: 700+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jxrx1 wrote:

Hello!
New to the forum and new to the US. Well, newish. I've been a permanent resident for about a year now and have been trying to figure out the credit system and start building some kind of credit because apparently building credit is the most important thing here (who'd have known).

Anyway, I luckily have had a relationship with Amex and have been a cardholder in my home country for about five years, which means I was able to easily get approved for a Platinum card. And I believe that also means that future card applications within Amex will not be a hard pull, which is a plus.

But that leaves me in a position where I'm considering my next move to help me build my credit and built out my credit card strategy.

I really would like to complement my Platinum with a Chase card (ideally a United Quest) but I'm concerned that I might be stuck on 'credit builder' cards for the next little while. 

Currently, in addition to the Platinum, I also have a Capital One Quicksilver Secured card and a Chime Credit Builder. FICO 8 at 715 according to Experian, oldest account is only 8 months old. Credit usage only ~9% thanks to one recurring payment on the Quicksilver card, but total credit available is only $200 due to the credit limit on the Quicksilver.

I guess my question is: thoughts on whether I'd be likely to be approved for a Chase card? As much as Amex seem to be okay with me, I get the feeling I'm not yet seen as too reliable by other credit providers (pre-approval on Capital One, Discover and Amazon all turned up pretty poor results). I wanna nab a Chase card while I'm under 5/24 if I can; I'm already at 3 (my fault for going too hard on the credit builder cards). 

Welcome to the forum.

Certainly it would not be a good idea to apply for the Chase "core" travel cards, but since the card you really want is the United Quest, I would take a shot at it if I were you.  Their underwriting on co-branded cards like that is less stringent.

I'm not a Chase expert. Maybe one of the Chase experts will have more insight into it.  It sounds to me like @Mdowning30 has enough experience with this type of thing, so I think you should go with @Mdowning30 's recommendation.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.