Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDFCU did HP EXP INQUIRY to join CU

tag
charles23
Valued Member

SDFCU did HP EXP INQUIRY to join CU

Smiley SadDarn I didn't realize I was going to have to give up a HP to apply for membership to this credit union.

Will they make another HP when I apply for a credit card there?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Re: SDFCU did HP EXP INQUIRY to join CU

That's rough. Likely a new HP for a Credit Card but I don't have any experience with SDFCU so I'll let someone with more knowledge than I confirm.

Message 2 of 9
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@charles23 wrote:

Smiley SadDarn I didn't realize I was going to have to give up a HP to apply for membership to this credit union.

Will they make another HP when I apply for a credit card there?

Probably not. Most of the CUs use the same report for 30 days for additional loans or credit card applications. For sure you might want to check with them first though.

Message 3 of 9
hawkins
Frequent Contributor

Careful with them they are a very low tech CU that does not have good ways of figuring out your identity despite sending in ID, bank statements, a HP, SSN card, etc. Asinine to say the least. I was just declined today for membership because of that. Only took them 2 weeks to do it LOL. 

Message 4 of 9
calyx
Super Contributor

They not only pulled EX, but when you do apply for a credit card they'll pull EX again and look at the FICO 2 (mortgage) score.

Source:  me (I applied for their PremiumCash+ months after I joined and got HPed both times).

Welcome to the SDFCU family!  I've been quite happy with them.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 9
charles23
Valued Member

thanks guys for all the data points

obviously now I see that SDFCU is not a CU to maximize the use of your HPs at

Message 6 of 9
gregorius
New Contributor

Counterpoint: They re-used my HP for membership to approve me for my CC in April 2021. Applied for credit ~3 weeks after initial membership app. Only had to provide paystubs, and the CC app review and approval was turned around FAST (like, 15 minutes fast).

I'd wager 30 days is the limit to re-use a HP.

Message 7 of 9
calyx
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info, @gregorius 

@charles23 - it's just an HP - which, honestly, in the grand scheme of credit things isn't that big of a deal.   Having 10 extra HPs for things like CLIs or joining utilities/credit unions is a lot less scary to banks than having 10 new accounts.    It seems that HPs are "bundled" as well (as far as penalties), so it doesn't really hurt your so much (I feel like the fear of HPs is a bit overexaggerated on the forums).   I do understand shying away from extraneous HPs while building/rebuilding, though, since I've been there.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 9
MrT_521
Regular Contributor

@gregorius wrote:

I'd wager 30 days is the limit to re-use a HP.

This is what I've heard. I applied for membership with SDFCU and a credit card simultaneously. I got a hard pull, which is expected. However, I figured it was because of the credit card application.

Personal Cards

Business Cards

Debit Cards

FICO 8 Scores (as of Dec 14, 2022)

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.