Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sallie Mae App Anxiety

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae App Anxiety

Although I knew it was a long shot considering my recent app spree, I talked myself into applying for the Sallie Mae card today. I REALLY want the gas and groceries rewards, plus the WMC wouldn't be bad to have either. Did it with a (nice!) analyst over the phone because my online app got a techinical difficulties response last night. I probably should have taken that as a sign, but I was glutton for punishment I guess. Well, to make a long story short, I got the "you will get a response by mail in thirty days" response. I am positive that is the equivalent of a no, but my question now is how long should I wait until I reapply - 6 months?  I've read on the boards that Barclays can be persnickety, but I really want that card! I would love to get better rewards than what I'm getting from BoA on my 1-2-3 Cash Rewards card.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
JustinS
Regular Contributor

Re: Sallie Mae App Anxiety

@Anonymous wrote:

Although I knew it was a long shot considering my recent app spree, I talked myself into applying for the Sallie Mae card today. I REALLY want the gas and groceries rewards, plus the WMC wouldn't be bad to have either. Did it with a (nice!) analyst over the phone because my online app got a techinical difficulties response last night. I probably should have taken that as a sign, but I was glutton for punishment I guess. Well, to make a long story short, I got the "you will get a response by mail in thirty days" response. I am positive that is the equivalent of a no, but my question now is how long should I wait until I reapply - 6 months?  I've read on the boards that Barclays can be persnickety, but I really want that card! I would love to get better rewards than what I'm getting from BoA on my 1-2-3 Cash Rewards card.

With how barclays can be new account sensitive etc (especially with a thinner file if that applies) I'd say yes to at least 6 months. I just recently got the Sallie Mae and it was an approval of $2500 which I called in about and had it CLI'd (Soft Pull) to $5k. On top of that I recently closed my barclays avg credit with a $2k CL and moved it over to Sallie Mae to make it $7k. It's definitely a nice card to have for the gas/grocery rewards. Simply put don't give up on getting it. The card is attainable but from what I gather it's a little stricter underwriting (not tons but enough to where it's difficult for some to get it).

Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

WebMD needs to add "app anxiety" to their list of ailments.. yes folks.. it's real! lol

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustinS wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With how barclays can be new account sensitive etc (especially with a thinner file if that applies) I'd say yes to at least 6 months. I just recently got the Sallie Mae and it was an approval of $2500 which I called in about and had it CLI'd (Soft Pull) to $5k. On top of that I recently closed my barclays avg credit with a $2k CL and moved it over to Sallie Mae to make it $7k. It's definitely a nice card to have for the gas/grocery rewards. Simply put don't give up on getting it. The card is attainable but from what I gather it's a little stricter underwriting (not tons but enough to where it's difficult for some to get it).

Yep. They are also prior delinquency sensitive. Lol...

Message 4 of 24
Callandra
Valued Contributor

@JustinS wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you have their rewards with average credit before getting approved for Sallie Mae? I've had mine for 11 months and I'm looking to apply for SM in January. Not sure if that's waiting long enough or not..

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 5 of 24
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

I'm in a similar situation as JustinS. I have Rewards MC that I opened in June and applied for SallieMae in October. I was approved with a $3k limit and they SP CLI me up to $5k. I'm holding onto my Rewards MC to see if by chance I'll get auto-cli'd in December which is my 6th month. I've been carrying a balance and making large payments against the Rewards MC every month. 

Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JustinS wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for all the responses! So it looks like they pulled TransUnion as predicted, which is sitting at 686 per Capital One/670 per Credit Karma, for me right now, with 4 inquiries (including theirs), 12% UTI and 6 new accounts in 2014. Do you think I have a shot if I were to call and recon? I got an email last night saying my app was in process. Could I possibly recon for the average credit rewards card? Does Barclay allow that? Do I have to wait until they deny me to recon? Any advice here would be appreciated!

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JustinS wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much for all the responses! So it looks like they pulled TransUnion as predicted, which is sitting at 686 per Capital One/670 per Credit Karma, for me right now, with 4 inquiries (including theirs), 12% UTI and 6 new accounts in 2014. Do you think I have a shot if I were to call and recon? I got an email last night saying my app was in process. Could I possibly recon for the average credit rewards card? Does Barclay allow that? Do I have to wait until they deny me to recon? Any advice here would be appreciated!

I wouldn't offer up an app PC even if they did allow it.

Just call them and see what the hold up is.

Message 9 of 24
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That score is not real, do you know what your actual FICO is? Yes call to ask status and recon if necessary, it never hurts.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.