Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sams Club / Synchrony - **bleep**

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Sams Club / Synchrony - **bleep**

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree wth HappyCamper. There is absolutely no justification for a HP removal here. OP applied for MC and was denied--end of story. Thus, the hard pull remains.

It is extremely unfair that one person can get a legitimate HP removed when others (for example, those who were actually approved) can't. Why should the denied person be advantaged? To me, the removel of the HP is actually what warrants reporting to the FTC, BBB, etc. Clearly Synchrony is not treating all customers equally.

I see where you're coming from. Really I do.

But you could easily say the same about people who call to reconsider. They are treated differently than the ones who just take the denial and the HP as another lash on their back. Smiley Happy

I like to see Synch, lenders in general do things like this. Smiley Very Happy

If you don't ask, you don't receive. Smiley Tongue

Message 21 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
I think we're going to fight them to remove the inquiry. There is no explicit language stating they will approve for either or. At least with Macy's and Best Buy they tell you before you click Apply/Submit.

Plus with then allowing you to select, it gives the impression you can choose just one. If we had known, I wouldn't have wasted the inquiry. I'd fee better if it was a denial so we could see more about why they didn't approve.

I should have never let her apply. There are better cards out there than it...

Don't fight the inquiry... She decided to apply for the card and wasn't given the line that she wanted, but that was still credit seeking behavior and still earned the hard pull.

EDIT: I guess you managed to get the HP removed.  I don't understand what your justification was though... You applied for a MC, were denied and offered a store card instead.  You didn't get the card that you wanted so you want them to erase the whole inquiry altogether?  

Personally, I would have reconned to get the MC and if not then ate the inquiry.  To each his own I suppose.

I don't believe they allow recon to MC.

However I do agree with calling back inquiries for products not wanted. Smiley Happy

I get how it benefits the consumer (you & OP), but getting a product not wanted doesn't change the fact that you applied for the card which you did want and were denied.

I understand that it's beneficial to get the inquiry taken off.  I even understand the call to ask to get it taken off.  What I don't understand is the sense of entitlement to get it taken off.  Were there two inquiries into your credit report at one time?

Eh, If you can get it done, why not?

I just find it unethical to threaten FTC and/or BBB action when OP clearly authorized the inquiry.  It seems very "I'm 5 and I'm going to throw a hissy fit because I didn't get my way" to me.  Like I said, I'm all for calling Sync and trying to get them to take off the inq, I just think the method used was underhanded and uncalled for.

Message 22 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:
I think we're going to fight them to remove the inquiry. There is no explicit language stating they will approve for either or. At least with Macy's and Best Buy they tell you before you click Apply/Submit.

Plus with then allowing you to select, it gives the impression you can choose just one. If we had known, I wouldn't have wasted the inquiry. I'd fee better if it was a denial so we could see more about why they didn't approve.

Don't fight the inquiry... She decided to apply for the card and wasn't given the line that she wanted, but that was still credit seeking behavior and still earned the hard pull.

EDIT: I guess you managed to get the HP removed.  I don't understand what your justification was though... You applied for a MC, were denied and offered a store card instead.  You didn't get the card that you wanted so you want them to erase the whole inquiry altogether?  

Personally, I would have reconned to get the MC and if not then ate the inquiry.  To each his own I suppose.

However I do agree with calling back inquiries for products not wanted. Smiley Happy

I get how it benefits the consumer (you & OP), but getting a product not wanted doesn't change the fact that you applied for the card which you did want and were denied.

I understand that it's beneficial to get the inquiry taken off.  I even understand the call to ask to get it taken off.  What I don't understand is the sense of entitlement to get it taken off.  Were there two inquiries into your credit report at one time?

I just find it unethical to threaten FTC and/or BBB action when OP clearly authorized the inquiry.  It seems very "I'm 5 and I'm going to throw a hissy fit because I didn't get my way" to me.  Like I said, I'm all for calling Sync and trying to get them to take off the inq, I just think the method used was uncalled for.

The manager was just trying to get them off the phone, so I'm not surprised they bent so easily.

Message 23 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do get that it never hurts to ask for something, and for the most part I say ask away! But to threaten to report them to the BBB etc. when there are no grounds for it, well that is what really bothers me. It's not like I can call and say "Hey, I applied for the WM MC last week and got approved. By golly you better remove that HP or I'll report you, because obviously I was a qualifying customer before you ever made the inquiry!"

There's certainly something wrong with that line of thinking.

There's also a significant difference with the recon analogy. In that case, a computer arbitrarily denies someone based on a silly number and the customer merely wants a real person to take a look and judge the application based on the overall picture of their credit profile. Since the underwriter's judgement may determine that the computer got it wrong, it never hurts to ask for the recon IMO.

G

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I do get that it never hurts to ask for something, and for the most part I say ask away! But to threaten to report them to the BBB etc. when there are no grounds for it, well that is what really bothers me. It's not like I can call and say "Hey, I applied for the WM MC last week and got approved. By golly you better remove that HP or I'll report you, because obviously I was a qualifying customer before you ever made the inquiry!"

There's also a significant difference with the recon analogy. In that case, a computer arbitrarily denies someone based on a silly number and the customer merely wants a real person to take a look and judge the application based on the overall picture of their credit profile. Since the underwriter's judgement may determine that the computer got it wrong, it never hurts to ask for the recon IMO.

G

I don't see where the reconsideration is really different as far as treating customers differently.

If you were denied, You were denied for a reason. When you ask for reconsideration, you are asking for special treatment. Period.

Message 25 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Automatic denials are often based on limited information, such as the person's credit score being below a certain threshold.

Coming from the banking world myself, let me provide a real-world example:

At the bank we would often send for manual underwriting to take a look at apps. that the system auto denied. Often the customer never even knew that they had been denied. For example, a customer comes in to apply for a mortgage and stays an hour, but the app. takes longer than an hour to run since some due diligence needs to be done before submitting it for auto review. So the customer goes home and isn't even there when we actually run the app., which is then auto denied by the computer for some arbitrary reason. Believing the applicant to be more than qualified for the loan (based on numerous factors beyond a mere FICO score), we submit the app. to the underwriting department for further adjudication. About 90% of the time these apps. come back approved. The customer never even knows that there was a denial and a Personal Banker initiated recon.

In other words, the reason for recon is simple: computers are not infallible.

G

Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

G

I don't see where the reconsideration is really different as far as treating customers differently.

If you were denied, You were denied for a reason. When you ask for reconsideration, you are asking for special treatment. Period.

I don't know how your recon calls usually go, but mine don't usually end in me throwing a fit and baselessly threatening a BBBand FTC report

Message 27 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

G

I don't know how your recon calls usually go, but mine don't usually end in me throwing a fit and baselessly threatening a BBBand FTC report

Works for Barclay's.

Smiley LOL

Message 28 of 29
AirlinerDudeB6
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@KneelBeforeZod wrote:

I just find it unethical to threaten FTC and/or BBB action when OP clearly authorized the inquiry.  It seems very "I'm 5 and I'm going to throw a hissy fit because I didn't get my way" to me.  Like I said, I'm all for calling Sync and trying to get them to take off the inq, I just think the method used was uncalled for.

The manager was just trying to get them off the phone, so I'm not surprised they bent so easily.

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I always save screen shots and/or a pdf version of the terms & conditions when I apply for a card.  

I applied and was approved for the Sams MC back in 2014 and pulled up the screenshot of my T&C on the application.

It clearly states "By applying for this account, I am asking Synchrony Bank ("SYNCB") to issue me a Sam's Club MasterCard® or a Sam's Club® Personal Credit Card (the "Card"), and I agree that:"....followed by a list of things.

While I understand the OP's frustration for not being approved for the product they had hoped for, the inquiry seems justified IMO.

Discover It - $25.5k | Sam's Club MasterCard - $25k | Chase Sapphire Reserve $23.8k | Amex EveryDay - $23k | Barclays JetBlue - $23k | Citi TYP - $7.1k | Cap1 Quicksilver WMC - $7k | Marriott Rewards Premier Visa Signature - $6.5k | Chase Freedom - $3.2k | Amex Gold - NPSL |
TU 08 FICO - 812 | EQ 08 FICO - 799 | EX 08 FICO - 793 |

Utilization - 16% | AAOA - 4.3 years | In Garden - Since 9/6/16
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.