Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared to ask for CLI because of HP chance- Comenity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Scared to ask for CLI because of HP chance- Comenity

I've had my Overstock ($250), Wayfair($500), and Toyota($1500) cards 6 month now in June, but I'm afraid to ask for a CLI because I don't want any HPs.

Is there a way to ask that would lessen my chances of a HP with Comenity? I use OS and Wayfair about every other month and PIF. The Toyota card was 100% when opened, but PIF within 3 months of opening. I also use the Toyota card for oil changes, and will be using it for tires pretty soon.

Any advice in dealing with Comenity? I've read all the threads but still don't know what to do lol
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scared to ask for CLI because of HP chance- Comenity

there's always the expectation of a HP when dealing with credit no matter who it's with.  If it ends up being a SP then you can smile the worry away.

When in doubt just don't do it unless you can handle the HP.

Message 2 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous. PM sentSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Freeze your credit reports then try.

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

SMH.... you can't advise that in public.

Message 5 of 19
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Anytime you ask for credit you should anticipate a HP. If that is not acceptable for you at this time, I would just wait.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking at your cards and scores I would hold off any anything with the potential for an HP and work on growing that Navy card, that is worth an HP, commenity cards not so much.  Navy will love you if you keep utilization low and avoid inquires and that 500 SL will grow like you can 't believe.  When I was rebuilding I took some inquiries that in hindsight were not worth it, probably slowed the growth of my better cards a bit.  Navy is where the win is, I would hold out for a while.  

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much for all the replies!
I do not want the HP for anything until December or January minimum (I would like to apply for a 2nd NFCU), and almost all of my inq will become 1 year (unscoreable) in December.

Perhaps Comenity will have mercy on me and give me an auto CLI 🤣🤣
Message 8 of 19
etatauri
Established Member

You can always ask if they will hard pull before you ask for a CLI.

When I was going for a product change on my Wells Fargo Platinum I asked them if they will soft-pull/hard-pull, and whether they will keep my credit history or close my account and re-apply. 

The person on the phone kindly answered all my questions and I decided that closing my oldest account to reapply was not worth the product change.

Capital One Savor 20,000 |||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 15,000 |||| American Express Blue Cash Preferred 11,000 |||| Venmo 10,000 |||| Macy's Amex 10,000 |||| Amazon Prime Signature Visa (Chase) 6,900 |||| Citi Double Cash 6,500 |||| Wells Fargo Platinum 6,000 |||| Chase Freedom Unlimited 5,700 |||| Paypal Credit 4,250 |||| Gap (Synchrony) 3,500 |||| Total CL: 98,850

EX: 812 |||| TU: 792 |||| EQ: 792 (As of Apr. 28, 2022)

Message 9 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Advising someone to freeze their CCs to thwart a HP is in violation of MyFICO TOS terms. Please don't make this suggestion. Thank you.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.