Scared to ask for CLI because of HP chance- Comenity

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Scared to ask for CLI because of HP chance- Comenity

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Freeze your credit reports then try.

Advising someone to freeze their CCs to thwart a HP is in violation of MyFICO TOS terms. Please don't make this suggestion. Thank you.

It was my understanding that rule is only when the intent is to try to force pulling a specific bureau for a credit app. There’s nothing wrong with freezing all of your reports to avoid getting HPs when asking for CLIs, I tell people to do this all the time. You’re not preventing them from getting the information since existing creditors can SP you anyway, you’re just avoiding carrying a credit seeker banner for the next two years. 

Some issuers like Synchrony won’t give you a CLI with a frozen report though, I thought I had heard that Comenity was the same way. 

Message 11 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Freeze your credit reports then try.

Advising someone to freeze their CCs to thwart a HP is in violation of MyFICO TOS terms. Please don't make this suggestion. Thank you.

It was my understanding that rule is only when the intent is to try to force pulling a specific bureau for a credit app. There’s nothing wrong with freezing all of your reports to avoid getting HPs when asking for CLIs, I tell people to do this all the time. You’re not preventing them from getting the information since existing creditors can SP you anyway, you’re just avoiding carrying a credit seeker banner for the next two years. 

Some issuers like Synchrony won’t give you a CLI with a frozen report though, I thought I had heard that Comenity was the same way. 

I definitely could be wrong about this and asked for clarification on my response. If I'm wrong, my apologies. I'm always willing to learn from my mistakes. Smiley Happy

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 12 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

In this case if you want to avoid a HP and freezing them all; I personally have no problem with this as they will either give it to you or not if they want a HP.  Where we have a problem is if you freeze one to get more favorable terms due to one report being clean and another one not then that is where it is against the TOS of the forum just for a simple example.  Hope this helps Clarify this issue

Message 13 of 19
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

In this case if you want to avoid a HP and freezing them all; I personally have no problem with this as they will either give it to you or not if they want a HP.  Where we have a problem is if you freeze one to get more favorable terms due to one report being clean and another one not then that is where it is against the TOS of the forum just for a simple example.  Hope this helps Clarify this issue

This does help clarify the issue. Thanks @CreditCuriosity

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 14 of 19
patoot10
Frequent Contributor

Do you mind explaining in more details what's wrong with doing your best to get approved for a card ? it's not like you are doing something illegal, you are merely trying to get a credit card. Also banks trypically pull 1 out of three bureaus to make a decision. If banks care about seeing everything on you they will all do what capital one does and pull everything but they don't care so why should you be concerned about it ?

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Look at the title of the site and the company behind it.

They don't make money when you don't invest in their products to see why you're having an issue getting approved.

The TOS is in place because it's nothing new to have someone come up with the idea to do something that's questionable from an ethics standpoint.  There's a hair brain idea around here on how to get an edge over the lenders policies and procedures at least once a week.  If you don't like the rules then you end up going somewhere a little less regulated to find the answer.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A credit limit/line increase request initiated by a customer IS an application for credit and many lenders, notably credit unions, treat it as such.  Hence the reason why credit unions typically pull a credit report in response to a CLI request.

Message 17 of 19
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

@Kathyups

Overstock will let you request a SP CLI via the phone. Simply call the 800 number on your card and from the robo-lady's main menu ask for a credit limit increase. Robo-lady will then say something along the lines of "we may need to look at your credit report, do you still want to proceed?" Respond by saying, "No." Robo-lady will then say something like "Would you like to see iof you are eligible for an increase without a review of your credit report?" Respond by saying "Yes." She'll then ask if you want to request a specific amount or not. Answer however you like and she'll let you know if it is granted or not. 

Easy-Peasy-SP CLI

I don't know about Wayfair or Toyota because I do not have those cards but report back if it works because it would be a good DP for others if it does.

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had my Overstock ($250), Wayfair($500), and Toyota($1500) cards 6 month now in June, but I'm afraid to ask for a CLI because I don't want any HPs.

Is there a way to ask that would lessen my chances of a HP with Comenity? I use OS and Wayfair about every other month and PIF. The Toyota card was 100% when opened, but PIF within 3 months of opening. I also use the Toyota card for oil changes, and will be using it for tires pretty soon.

Any advice in dealing with Comenity? I've read all the threads but still don't know what to do lol

Message 18 of 19
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Thread is now closed as OP did nothing wrong, but others seem to question why rules are in place.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.